No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a way I think Johnson and Brexit are two different threads. You'd get pretty short odds on both Brexit and a Tory election win (however narrow) but very long odds on the chancer still being PM a year from now. If he gets the no-deal mess he wants, he won't be cleaning it up.

As discussed on the other thread, the prospect of having him in power for the next 5 years should be deterring people from voting Tory. But his appeal is to those who want to "get it over with", not to ask what happens next.

It's a shame Parliament can't pass a bill guaranteeing an election in May 2020, and then let the "People" take over while the "Elite" go on holiday for six months.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
      Part of me wants to sit on the sofa and eat popcorn while watching him self-destruct, but his toxic brand of ideological dont-give-a-fuckery has a material effect on British people's lives. For this reason, the opposition should take him out at the earliest opportunity. IMHO, of course.
      Today's stop on the election trail is at a farm in Aberdeenshire, so stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        Not really knowing who Alan Brazil is, I've googled. He looks like a man's who's due his big heart attack in 5, 4, 3....
        We can but hope

Comment

If he manages to get through the day without slipping on some metaphorically appropriate cow shit, that will probably go down as a major win

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

McDonnell has become an extremely competent and sensible politician in all of this. That is glorious.
            It's really not. It's appalling.

From a friend on FB:

I don’t think it’s funny to make jokes about domestic violence even when the ‘target’ of that joke is Boris Johnson. There’s another person’s private life involved here and people are getting cheap laughs at her expense. The shame you feel when a man has been violent towards you isn’t fucking funny and having that turned into a joke for political point scoring in PMQs is abhorrent. There’s enough to go on without bringing her into it. Attack Johnson by all means but don’t make shitty ‘jokes’ that only hurt his partner more.

Comment

And a couple of posts earlier you’ve just wished a heart attack on Alan Brazil.

Comment

I'm missing your point. Assuming you had one.

Comment

You wished a heart attack on an abuse victim with a family. If you criticise McDonnell you should own your own hypocrisy.

Comment

I had actually missed Alan Brazil's history there, so thanks for pointing it out, and I will bear it in mind in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Probably Mugabe should have his own thread but this is The Daily Mail take

[URL]https://twitter.com/thequentinletts/status/1169850394375098368?s=21[/URL]
                      Letts is now back at The Times, to that paper's shame.

Comment

It saya something about him that his twitter handle is 'the quentin letts', as if thousands of impersonators are going to be lining up to take his name

Comment

Ha ha.

WTF has that horrible ex-dictator got to with Brexit?

Comment

Hyperinflation?

Comment

https://twitter.com/BullySpeedboat/s...028712964?s=09
                              Satirical spoof of Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Today's stop on the election trail is at a farm in Aberdeenshire, so stay tuned.
                                #PleaseLeaveMyTown

Comment

That Quentin Letts tweet is extraordinary. That's right up there with "Say what you like about Adolf Hitler, but he gave his followers what they wanted".

Comment

Mussolini made the trains run on time; can Johnson equal that?

Comment

Surprising absolutely no-one, Boris has rocked up on a farm near Banchory belonging to Scots Tory MSP Alexander (James Amherst) Burnett (of Leys), fourth-great-grandson of Nicholas I of Russia on his mother's side and former pupil of Eton College.
                                      Then this happened...

Insert your own jokes about dumb animals out of control.

Comment

This is the “Bring Back the Guillotine” tour.

Comment

What I don't get about the "just get it done" lot is that they don't seem to understand that no deal will result in longer, more arduous and much more annoying fights in parliament, with the EU, with prospective FTA partners etc.
                                          So just getting it done makes the 10 years after far less done.

Comment

But that’s to suggest that there’s a rationale. There’s just a movement and an ideology.

Comment

Sky:

NEW Opposition parties spoke this morning. Liz Saville Roberts from Plaid on @SkyNews shortly. She says

- All rebel alliance to vote against or abstain on election in Mon
                                              - No rebel party will put down no confidence motion on Monday under FTPA
                                              - Pre Oct 31 now unlikely

SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford just confirmed on @SkyNews that whatever happens, opposition alliance wants Parliament to be sitting around Oct 18/19/20 and would allow dissolution before then

They want Commons to sit to make sure PM obeys extension law

So no Oct election

This framing of "rebel alliance" and "rebel parties" is getting a bit tiresome - they are the Opposition, whose role it is to oppose the government.

Comment

Especially given that Johnson head of the Tory coup attempt was elected by less than 100000 people.

still they can call them the rebel alliance as long as they call The Conservative Party the evil empire.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
                                                  Surprising absolutely no-one, Boris has rocked up on a farm near Banchory belonging to Scots Tory MSP Alexander (James Amherst) Burnett (of Leys), fourth-great-grandson of Nicholas I of Russia on his mother's side and former pupil of Eton College.
                                                  Then this happened...

Insert your own jokes about dumb animals out of control.
                                                  Seriously, what on earth is the bloke on the left doing? I know a photo can make you look very strange, but even so, he seems to be attempting the hokey cokey.

Comment

They're shooting a Madness video just out of frame.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X