No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers. I was thinking of a specific figure.
    The net budget contributions have been estimated at GBP 20bn

Comment

[QUOTE=Ginger Yellow;1349822]Because the Tories are fucking idiots who wanted to go into what they thought would be a 2020 election having left the EU.[/QUOTE

Yeah, probably.

What do you think on the other point about rEU bringing in new stuff during the transition? Could they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
        The net budget contributions have been estimated at GBP 20bn
        Ah, that's an official figure from May?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          I thought he'd gone full Trump protectionist some time ago?

Can somebody explain why we didn't do preparation for 2 years, then do Article 50? Why did we do Article 50 then want a 2 year extension? If I understand it correctly, we're currently leaving in 2019 but staying in till 2021, obeying rules which can be changed as rEU wish, and with us having no veto.

Is this correct?
          Yes.

It is because no-one in charge of anything has the slightest clue what they are doing.

The probable best guess for what happened is that May was listening to the headbangers around her (as well as high on her own supply from the Daily Heil) when she triggered Article 50. Then, she decided to call the General Election so that she had the votes to go full Hard Brexit around about now.

Since June 8th, the entire thing has gone to ratshit. She's a dead woman walking, Boris got bored and is misbehaving again, Davis is screwing up the negotiations and everyone is slowly realising that the EU just want shot of us. That triggering of A50 was the biggest, dumbest mistake in the whole referendum business, and I include calling the fucking thing in the first place in that.

Comment

What do you think on the other point about rEU bringing in new stuff during the transition? Could they do that?
            Bringing in new stuff?

Comment

Ah, that's an official figure from May?
              No, but it's what it would cost to do what she said she'd do, namely leave other countries no worse off vis-a-vis budget contributions over the two year period.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                Bringing in new stuff?
                Yeah, I'm thinking of Bad Stuff for the City. How quickly could stuff come in?

Comment

The trouble with going to Florence to make a speech is that you run into Citizens of Nowhere.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking of Bad Stuff for the City. How quickly could stuff come in?
                    Depends on the stuff. If it's stuff that could be done under a delegated act, like, say, Solvency II calibrations, very quickly. If it's already been legislated and would be under a regulatory technical standard, even quicker in theory. If it needs primary legislation, not very quickly. It's pretty rare that something gets from legislative proposal to taking effect in under two years, especially the contentious stuff. But they've already announced stuff the UK has previously opposed, like giving the ESAs greater powers and fee levying power. It's pretty modest though.

There's also the question of how the standstill works. The repeal bill is supposed to transplant the acquis at the point of Brexit. Presumably it would not get formally postponed until the end of the transition period. So it would be up to the UK to transpose new directives and to implement regulations, which would no longer be legally automatic.
                    Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 22-09-2017, 16:26.

Comment

There's also the central clearing thing and other equivalence type decisions, which are basically at the whim of European institutions. As soon as the transition is over, the EU could pull the plug (well, 30 days after).

Comment

Cheers.

That's exactly what I'm getting at there, what happens if the UK doesn't transpose new stuff after Brexit day.

Comment

Somebody liked May's speech.

John Redwood: A bold and positive speech in the face of an EU that has no plan
                          As I always say, that's "landed a headbutt on the opponent's right fist" stuff.

Comment

The Tory hardass MPs seem to be taking this transitional period with freedom of movement and shelling out £20bn very calmly.

But I think she might need to double down for the cavalry week after next.

Comment

Hannan really copped it on Twitter for defending May. They have a problem.

Comment

Ah, now I'm clear. The sort of plan the EU needs to have is to concede everything we want.

John Redwood‏ @johnredwood
                                The UK will happily allow continued tariff free access to the UK market on similar terms to today if the EU reciprocates.

Comment

Marina Hyde on Theresa May and Boris Johnson is coruscatingl.

"Thanks to advance briefings, we already knew that Britain would fork out at least £20bn by way of an exit bill, which Boris Johnson has repeatedly suggested we shouldn’t pay. At least when the Bullingdon Club smashed things up they left a cheque at the end. Then again, in later life Boris has been – how to put this delicately because of the others involved? – less present to deal with the consequences of his actions. I suppose on the scale of things one can just walk away from in life, the EU isn’t the most unforgivable".

She goes on:

'As for Boris’s own manoeuvres, his allies seem to think he has done enough this week to be able to resign later and say he told them so. What a man of principle he remains. I am reminded of a passage I shrieked with laughter at in his book about Churchill (a work that obviously turned out to be a thinly veiled fantasy portrait of himself). “To some extent all politicians are gamblers with events,” this ran. “They try to anticipate what will happen, to put themselves on the right side of history.”

Remarkably, Boris characterised Churchill’s 1930s opposition to Hitler as just this type of self-motivated punt. Churchill “put his shirt on a horse called anti-Nazism … and his bet came off in spectacular fashion”. Dear, dear. If only we had Churchill’s other column – the one where he argued the case for a fascist dictatorship, Lebensraum and the elimination of Jews from Germany. Still, as Johnson went on to note, these kind of reputation-stakings “gave him the chance to test his egocentric thesis that he was special”.'

Comment

Kuenssberg is terrifying in her wrongness on the tweet machine. She thinks that bullshit from May (they are now appearing to publically roll back on previous assurances for Ireland- I guess the Duppers getting over to Ibrox without showing a passport is more important than a hard border fucking the GFA and the entire Nordie economy) has seriously landed a blow on Barnier. Reading fear rather than suave contempt and barely concealed impatience, they really are a full-on TVE style State Broadcaster now.

Comment

She's mentioned NI now, in the context of Macron spotting a problem in that area.

Comment

She hasn't mentioned Barnier specifically mentioning Amber Rudd's refusing to obey the High Court either.

Clear that the BBC Brexit line was set by then BBC head of politics Robbie "Hang Mandela" Gibb who is carrying on exactly the same role but now as Theresa May's spinmeister.

So many pro Brexit old blokes at the BBC - Andrew Neil, John Humphrys, David Dimbleby ...

Comment

He was editor of Andrew Neil's show, wasn't he? Not overall editor of politics. I can't see who has that job.

His brother is an Academies loon, like Lord Nash, a bit under the radar because he's below Secretary of State.

The Tories got Craig Oliver, Cameron's spin man, from the leftwing BBC too. Funny old game.

Comment

Hadn't seen this.

Faisal Islam‏Verified account @faisalislam
                                            PM proposes a new security treaty between UK and EU27 that goes beyond any similar relationship
                                            But but but EU Army!

Comment

Downgrade from Moody's reported in the last hour.

Funny how we don't hear much about these now.

Comment

Presumably said "security" treaty covers amassing data on innocent travellers who have never been under suspicion of anything rather than exchanging information on bad 'uns, which we ought to be doing anyway.

In fact, they should issue special passes for people who are appropriately "security cleared" and if you don't have one of these "passes", then you can't come in. For security reasons. They could call it a... I dunno... "visa" or something. You know, purely in the name of security.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                  He was editor of Andrew Neil's show, wasn't he? Not overall editor of politics. I can't see who has that job.

His brother is an Academies loon, like Lord Nash, a bit under the radar because he's below Secretary of State.

The Tories got Craig Oliver, Cameron's spin man, from the leftwing BBC too. Funny old game.
                                                  was "head of the BBC’s political team at Westminster" Executive editor Of Neil's show and the Marr Show.

He was also a senior figure in the Federation of Conservative Students when it was banned by Noman Tebbit for being too right wing.

Comment

Yeah I know his background.

But that doesn't sound like a job title.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X