No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cotswold council has changed to Lib Dem for the first time ever after 16 years of Conservative lead.

Still waiting on Tewkesbury but I'll be amazed if it doesn't remain a Tory council. I've realised in the last 10 years or so that I live in the most Tory place ever.

Comment

Can't believe these results are bringing Labour to supporting the deal. The strategic fence sitting has fucked them. The Scottish party might as well disband now, and PC will have the next First Minister in Wales as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
        Might this end up being the local elections results thread?
        I would have thought the local elections thread would be more appropriate for that.

Comment

DG's thread titling strikes again.

Comment

Apologies- my parochial punning title has probably confused readers. Maybe Snake could change as Fussbudget suggests?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Your second sentence answers the first.

I’ve said it before - for a lot of the commentariat - Brexit and Corbyn is a massive issue because it is the only one to affect them. Austerity, public transport etc weren’t their problem.
              Who are these people who thought everything was fine before 2016? I mean only David Cameron and George Osborne might have thought that, but only because they were still prime minister and Chancellor. Things were bad in 2016, but they are worse now. People saying lets go back to it being less bad, is not the same as people saying that everything was fine.

One thing is fairly sure. Had Labour done well last night, it would have been seen as a victory for Labour's strategy of triangulating towards UKIP. What are the odds that the Labour Leadership are going to see this as a cause to double down on the caution?

Comment

Rather than a cause for increased caution, I'd be surprised if Labour don't see the results as an indication that they need to be less cautious and take a more pro-Brexit stance.

Of course, had there been elections in London and Scotland that saw Labour voters switching to Remain parties and the SNP respectively, they'd probably have taken the opposite view!

Comment

I don't know. You don't get to be 70 years old and still believing the things that the labour leadership believe, without seeing confirmation of your beliefs in every external event.

Comment

The leadership of both major parties will take these results (and the spectre of the European elections, where they will do worse) as a "mandate" to "get Brexit done" by doing a deal on the Withdrawal Agreement.

The question is whether their parties will go along with that.

Comment

I don't know. You don't get to be 70 years old and still believing the things that the labour leadership believe, without seeing confirmation of your beliefs in every external event.
                      What, you mean like tea leaf patterns or birds circling in the sky at dawn?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The leadership of both major parties will take these results (and the spectre of the European elections, where they will do worse) as a "mandate" to "get Brexit done" by doing a deal on the Withdrawal Agreement.

The question is whether their parties will go along with that.
                        Yes. After local election results the political sages always try to interpret the results, and a backlash against the Brexit impasse seems to be the narrative of choice, with some justification it has to be said. But basing national decision-making on 30% local election turnouts when only certain parts of the country have voted isn't particularly wise.

Comment

Then again nothing that they have done for some time is "particularly wise"

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

What, you mean like tea leaf patterns or birds circling in the sky at dawn?
                            I mean This sort of thing.

I think that it is abundantly clear at this point that the Labour leadership are a real fucking problem. It's difficult to imagine a group of people more dedicated to gutting the anti-brexit movement from within.

Comment

How can they interpret these votes as "get more Brexity"? The three main Brexit parties - UKIP, Tory and Labour - lost seats, in proportion to their Brexityness. The two remain parties - Lib Dem and Green - gained a shit load of seats.

Comment

Ukip aren't really Ukip any more. Most of UKIP are now the Brexit party, who didn't get to run because they didn't exist in time.

Comment

So now Corbyn has all but confirmed he'll commit Labour to passing May's deal. The genius club, this.

Comment

Of course, I'm missing the Grand Strategy at play.

Comment

Still, this weapons grade buffoonery from the Govt and Opposition is making me dare to dream again that I'll get a Scottish passport before I retire/snuff it.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1124325644136013824[/URL]

Job done Jeremy, now you can lay down the heavy mantle of trying to run a major political party and fuck off back to standing around with placards with your SWP mates and feeling secular holiness, while everything around you withers and dies.

I notice you're not going to get your second referendum. As I said at the time of the conference, the pro remain majority in the Labour party have been fucked by a halfwitted pensioner. How does it feel? (no, not you gerontophile, you're not allowed answer)

Comment

It's going to be an interesting campaign for the Euro elections for the Labour candidates.

Comment

I almost feel sorry for the SLab comms team trying to spin this for home consumption. Soon 14% in the polls won't look so bad. But then Richard Leonard and Neil fucking Findlay are Lexit wankers who'll probably be comfy with this (as long as there are spurious assurances for workers rights got from the Tory bams).

Comment

When are the Welsh assembly elections due? Plaid for sure will be the Govt. good job everywhere Labour.

Comment

Yeah, but that doesn't matter because the Labour Leadership are going to get their dream. It may not be the dream of most of their party but fuck them. Jezza and the boys have managed to successfully pilot brexit past a pro-remain party. They might even put up a small framed photo of him alongside Nigel farage and Billy Wright in those rangers/chelsea bars in spain.

This kind of reminds me of the sort of thing that you encounter when asking a genie for three wishes. "We want a leader who isn't like Tony Blair," without specifying in what way. Well at least he doesn't differ on that whole cannibal/non-cannibal dimension.

Comment

I've never seen a Rangers/Chelsea bar and for that I am glad.

Big labour seem to have fallen into the same trap as Slab after the Indyref, where their response as to what was needed in the post ref environment was Be More Unionist.

Even FPTP can severely punish parties that misjudge their base(s). If they sign the deal I reckon they'll lose that Youthquake vote, and their gains in the South. All to try and appease Leavers who mostly didn't vote Labour anyways, even those Leavers who were from Oop North.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-05-2019, 17:41.

Comment

Yeah, but the baby boomers get their way again. What do they care for the future.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X