The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    Why are they continually allowed to get away with these ridiculous self branding exercises?

If I went to the pub and instructed everyone to call me Hawkeye, I'd expect people to tell me not to be such a twat and rightly so.

"Star Chamber", my arse.
    because the BBC....

Comment

A bunch of No Deal nutjobs, they probably think the name has very positive connotations.....

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Who/what are Star Chamber?

Wiki tells me it was something in the 15th-17th century and now "In modern usage, legal or administrative bodies with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings are sometimes called, metaphorically or poetically, "star chambers." This is a pejorative term and intended to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the proceedings"
        I wondered the same, the BBC says it's part of the ERGomaniacs.

Comment

In this case, a group of lawyers reviewing the withdrawal agreement etc on behalf of the ERG and DUP.

Comment

Wiki tells me it was something in the 15th-17th century and now "In modern usage, legal or administrative bodies with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings are sometimes called, metaphorically or poetically, "star chambers." This is a pejorative term and intended to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the proceedings"
            I reckon they all saw the eighties Michael Douglas movie of that name and thought it was cool.

Comment

According to a Tory MP the Government is over. It can no longer govern. General Election or referendum on her deal
              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 12-03-2019, 13:44.

Comment

Some 1922 committee shrill is saying if the deal is defeated tonight there will be a general election within "days or weeks". Suspect it would be the latter rather than the former, but if they want to do it this Thursday that's fine by me.

Comment

Rees-Mogg's historical references are generally as accurate and/or appropriate as Del Boy's conversational French.

Comment

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1105460060971511808]https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1105460060971511808

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status...60060971511808

Someone clearly has one or two series left to watch before the final series is aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      Some 1922 committee shrill is saying if the deal is defeated tonight there will be a general election within "days or weeks". Suspect it would be the latter rather than the former, but if they want to do it this Thursday that's fine by me.
                      Think he must mean will be called "Within days or weeks" . There has to be at least five weeks campaigning by law.

Comment

Very few of them have the slightest clue about how anything actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post

Think he must mean will be called "Within days or weeks" . There has to be at least five weeks campaigning by law.
                          He did go on to say that, admittedly - someone quickly penciled in 25 April or 2 May as the earliest possible dates depending on when it would be called.

Comment

I've got to say that Star Chamber thing is extraordinary. either these people are completely unaware of the history of that phrase and need to be lead off to a home for the bewildered, or they do know the history of that phrase, in which case they need to be bricked up in a wall, a nice appropriately archaic punishment.

Comment

They're a mix of drinkers at either end of the spectrum. CAMRA Stella, ta...

Comment

A fair few Tories changing their mind. Will be a lot closer this time, but surely not going to win.

Comment

Latest missive from the 1690 Committee:

http://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1105470920825733120

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                    A fair few Tories changing their mind. Will be a lot closer this time, but surely not going to win.
                                    http://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1105471645920182272

Comment

I can't help feeling even before I click the link that most of the replies will be Irish nationalists laughing at her.

Comment

Robert Peston predicting 150 vote defeat.

Clarification on earlier point, the talk about a third meaningful vote if tonight's is defeated by around 50 votes related to it coming back again tomorrow (unchanged), before the no deal vote. No surprises that this appears to have been put forward in cabinet by...... Chris Grayling.

Comment

I've got a Kids From Fame earworm now.

"Staaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr Chaaaaaaaaambererrrrrrr
                                          Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee-maaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeerrr"

Comment

May's voice is really not holding up well again today.

Comment

Whatever sane part of her brain is left is making a final effort to assert itself over the rest of her.

Comment

And still the BBC are running pieces from Laura headlined "Has May done enough?".

Currently 11 switchers confirmed. Meanwhile a Scottish Tory MP didn't get his application for a proxy in, and his wife has gone into labour (leave it). Don't know how he voted last time.

Comment

The crowd has thinned quite a bit in the Commons.

Bill Cash is spouting some endless, self aggrandising waffle. History will not absolve him.

On the bench behind, a tidily shorn Johnson lurks, presumably waiting to generate a soundbite to bolster his leadership campaign.

Comment

BBC reporters are using the 'Brexit may be lost' affectation, as if this pack of narcissistic flysplats are the noblest Romans foreshadowing the death of the Republic. Hopefully they'll cut forward to the warm baths and opened veins ahead of schedule.

Rees-Mogg has just mentioned his Lenten task to read the Book of Job, for anyone playing Brideshead Bingo. A quick search turns up an estimated reading time of an hour and forty five minutes, which isn't a huge imposition spread across 46 days. He's such a fraud.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X