No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, TAB has just been shown to be fundamentally wrong as regards whether Corbyn would ever go for a 2nd Ref, but I'll drop it now.

Comment

There’s no fucking way Remain isn’t on the ballot.

Comment

It will be, it's gone out in the briefing note to Labour MPs.

(Although, of course, it still might not get through Parliament.)

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
          Well, TAB has just been shown to be fundamentally wrong as regards whether Corbyn would ever go for a 2nd Ref, but I'll drop it now.
          As I said, all it took was a chunk of the party walking out, and a weekend of opinion polls showing the labour party in the mid twenties, for them to eventually come around to holding a people's vote after they give their nonsense another go, because as we all know, time on this matter is completely infinite, and even then there were people leaking out of the PLP meeting that he wouldn't himself commit to remain being on the referendum.

I await his performance in any prospective referendum with Bated breath. I'm sure he'll be super convincing.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Ow TAB, discourse would be much better on this board if people occasionally admitted that they got it wrong. But there we are.

You're right though. If Remain lose any putative referendum, it'll be Corbyn's fault.

Comment

It will be, it's gone out in the briefing note to Labour MPs.

(Although, of course, it still might not get through Parliament.)
                http://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1100104998623608833

Presumably, the implication is that the "credible Leave option" is what Parliament would decide upon, with Remain on the ballot paper regardless.

Comment

Rather mixed set of Welsh opinion polling - suggests that UKIP would revive if Brexit is delayed, but both Labour and Plaid could gain from the softest possible exit.

Comment

Ow TAB, discourse would be much better on this board if people occasionally admitted that they got it wrong. But there we are.

You're right though. If Remain lose any putative referendum, it'll be Corbyn's fault.
                    I will admit to being surprised that some labour MP's retain their spine. It's five weeks since they lost the vote of no confidence, Why now and why not five weeks ago? does it have something to do with This perchance?

If this referendum is lost it will in be in no small part due to Labour's tactics over the last couple of years, and their incredible tardiness to come to the obvious policy for a party in their position. This is going to be a referendum fought on the badness of Brexit, rather than the positives of european membership. That's down to the labour leadership. Hopefully the scale of imminent disaster will be enough to save the day. I look forward to seeing interviews with jeremy corbyn on this topic. I'm sure he won't look like a hostage reading out kidnappers ransom demands.

Comment

You should get a job at Hackney Marshes, TAB. You're a fucking pro when it comes to moving goalposts.

Comment

I thought the timing was all to do with the parliamentary business. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with another of Tom Watson's ideas.

Anyway, given your refusal to at least admit that, only a couple of days ago, you were vehemently and eruditely spouting a bunch of stuff that turned out to be completely wrong (as a number of people here had been trying to point out to you for nearly 5 months), it's probably best if I leave it there. I generally respect your posts, but a bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

Honestly, I think Labour have indeed done what they promised to do at conference. I'm sure it's not what Corbyn himself might have wanted, and that he still harbours dreams of a "good" Brexit but it is in accordance with the will of the party and that's what matters. I don't think it's down to the TIG. I think their influence may have had some bearing on the anti-Semitism issue, however. (And while I have doubts about the way that is systematically fanned by those who do not wish Corbyn well, it's not as if you can do too much to fight anti-Semitism, so fine).

Comment

Seamus Milne already briefing against a Remain v WA referendum:

http://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1100139225356341248

Comment

FFS

Comment

I'm not sure what value a second referendum has unless Labour actually campaign to remain in the EU. Given that the front bench seem to have hardly said anything positive about the EU since the original referendum (apparently because they don't want to be seen as sabotaging Brexit), I don't have any expectation of a whole lot of enthusiastic pro-EU language coming from them. Which means that the promise of a second referendum is largely a wash. It's a delaying tactic, rather than a real policy. Just to be clear, I'm glad that they've taken this step, but on its own it seems like a bit of a pointless step.

Comment

There's no pleasing some people.

Comment

By that tweet above Milne needs to be fucked out sharpish.

Comment

Newsnight has just driven me to apoplexy.

Everyone is a fucking idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                        There's no pleasing some people.
                                        it's the end of february. Labour went through all the previous phases of this process by the middle of fucking january. They've spent the last five weeks faffing about pushing their fantasy bullshit brexit while the clock ticks down, and they're going to give it another go tomorrow. and then they'll vote against a no deal, and maybe then they'll start to push for remaining in europe having spent the last two and a half years spouting fantasy unicorn bollocks on the subject.

Comment

Bullshit - stick to talking about obsucre Irish scandals where I presume you know what you're talking about- or I did,.

Comment

pick out one bit of that that is inaccurate.

Comment

"They've spent the last five weeks faffing about pushing their fantasy bullshit brexit while the clock ticks down, and they're going to give it another go tomorrow. and then they'll vote against a no deal, and maybe then they'll start to push for remaining in europe having spent the last two and a half years spouting fantasy unicorn bollocks on the subject."

Comment

ever since Mourinho left Manchester United you need a new outlet for your hatred.

Comment

I Don't know about that. And surely this parallel is stronger.

Comment

So you were going to explain how the remarks you made were true, but failed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X