No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But are they deliberately and consciously acting in bad faith, or are they simply caught up in a deep-rooted culture of bad faith, and have lost sight of which way is up aren't able to get on top of what they are doing and can no longer think straight?

It's kind of like did Sajid Javid exceed his powers to remove citizenship yesterday in the knowledge that he would be dragged back by the courts (coz she's not a dual national) thus double establishing his hard man credentials, or did he fuck up because he's not a details man

Comment

I think that there are examples of both dynamics, but when you are dealing with someone like Cox or Javid it is all very conscious.

Comment

They weren't very impressed when he arrived over in Dublin. He didn't seem to know very much, Just because he's Attorney general don't assume that he knew the republic of Ireland was a separate country before getting his first letter from His irish counterpart.

Comment

If you are going to negotiate in utter bad faith, using ignorance or naïveté as a cover isn't a bad plan.

Comment

Yeah but we know that the UK govt only ever negotiates in bad faith. We know it better than they do themselves. Trying to use a cover with us just reveals a different form of ignorance and naivete. I mean I assume you can imagine the sort of Civil servant that we send to negotiate with the UK?

Comment

The sort of person who can make The Merchant Prince seem sentient and a sociopath like Varadkar look thoughtful and statesmanlike.

Comment

Basically yeah. The Sir Humphreys are generally of a very high standard as well. christ alone knows what the various career civil servants make of their political masters. Karen Bradley actually said in public that she wasn't previously aware that people voted on sectarian lines in Northern Ireland. I mean god love her.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  Yeah but we know that the UK govt only ever negotiates in bad faith. We know it better than they do themselves. Trying to use a cover with us just reveals a different form of ignorance and naivete. I mean I assume you can imagine the sort of Civil servant that we send to negotiate with the UK?
                  I imagine every civil servant you send over shaves, combs his hair, brushes his teeth, looks in the mirror and imagines himself as Collins.

Comment

Another paper rebellion?

httphttps://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1098701458365734912/photo/1

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I imagine every civil servant you send over shaves, combs his hair, brushes his teeth, looks in the mirror and imagines himself as Collins.
                      What? They know where their opposite numbers sleep so at a pinch they can shoot them in their beds, and have too high an opinion of the political skills of english cabinet members? I was thinking more that they're probably quite hard to deceive.

Comment

I took 'imagines himself as Collins' to mean that they wish that they could conduct the divorce by fax.

Comment

or be gerry collins and stay in the hotel they used in dirty rotten scoundrels, and get chocolate biscuit crumbs all over the billion thread count egyptian cotton sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

What? They know where their opposite numbers sleep so at a pinch they can shoot them in their beds, and have too high an opinion of the political skills of english cabinet members? I was thinking more that they're probably quite hard to deceive.
                            I was thinking more along the lines of civil service negotiators geeing themselves up for the opportunity to negotiate about butter tariffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of civil service negotiators geeing themselves up for the opportunity to negotiate about butter tariffs.
                              That was Dev, back in the Thirties.

Comment

On a lighter note, somewhat bizarre that John Barnes has suddenly become the beacon of political common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                  On a lighter note, somewhat bizarre that John Barnes has suddenly become the beacon of political common sense.
                                  Even more bizarre to see Gary Lineker being likewise....

Comment

Nah. He's taken in by the Independent Group. Can't be that savvy

Comment

Cryer

[URL]https://twitter.com/johncryermp/status/1099047385966280705?s=21[/URL]

Comment

That suggests there's a real possibility of it being adopted by the leadership?

Comment

Another punt into Row Z by the PM.

"Meaningful Vote" postponed until 12 March.

Comment

Apparently, she chose that date because the Chancellor's "spring statement" occurs the day after.

Comment

Hmm. How long until: Brexit vote postponed until 11:40pm on Thursday March 28th?

Comment

She will keep playing the Commons for chumps for as long as they will let her.

In related news, Spain announces that they will be terminating ERASMUS for UK Nationals in the event of No Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  Hmm. How long until: Brexit vote postponed until 11:40pm on Thursday March 28th?
                                                  11th March.
                                                  Last edited by Snake Plissken; 24-02-2019, 16:44.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X