No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farage is launching The Brexit Party. They will stand in the June elections to ensure he fills his pension pot that Britain leaves

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
      I found myself pondering why was it Jeremy Corbyn was so keen to put the unlikely event of forcing an election ahead of blocking brexit, and I wondered if it had anything to do with him being 73 years old at the time of the next scheduled election, and I was rather surprised to discover, he's only the 24th oldest Labour MP. There were 37 Labour Mps 65 and older returned at the last election, with another one a couple of months short of that. One in seven labour MPs was eligible for the Old Age Pension at the last election. in two weeks time Christina Capes is going to turn 65, which means that currently one in six labour MPs is over 65. The Next election is due in 2022, and by the end of the year, 74 labour mps will be over the age of 65, or nearly 30%. Just how little do these people do that they can keep on doing it well after most people have to retire? Dennis Skinner is 87 fucking years old. He was 85 years old at the last election.

Corbyn is 68, McDonnell is 67, and I was stunned to discover that Dianne abbott is 66. These people shouldn't have stood at the last election, Given the fixed term parliament act which runs for five years, the time has come for the mandatory deselection of MP's after they turn 60.
      Would have been 1 more old MP, if David Winnick hadn't lost his seat in 2017. He's only 2 years younger than Skinner.

MPs' health is much better generally than it was. John Major must be wishing that MPs were this healthy in his day, because he'd have been spared the disaster by-elections in the likes of Christchurch, Newbury, Dudley West...

Abbott, Corbyn and McDonnell look in particularly good shape.

Comment

Just another step towards Britain's "Trousers Down" trade future.
        Lack of clarity about UK-EU trading relationship after Brexit also holding up progress

Comment

Actually fewer Tory MPs died under Major than I thought. I expect some of those catastrophes in my mind were just recurring local election disasters.

The Tories even lost Kent to No Overall Control. To give you an idea how difficult that was, they regained control easily on the night of the 1997 General Election.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
            Abbott, Corbyn and McDonnell look in particularly good shape.
            But their brains are soft, and they seem less concerned about the long term than they should.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
              Just another step towards Britain's "Trousers Down" trade future.
              "Of course we're excited about this pioneering global future Britain has! But there's just this one thing we didn't like about the old deal..."

If I understood it correctly, the UK did pretty well with Chile the other day.

Comment

For comparative figures, 30 tories are over 65, with IDS the next over the line in a couple of months. Only three have turned 65 since the election, but 67 of them will be over 65 by the end of the current parliament. there are four lib dems that will be over 65 at the end of the next parliament, by which time their leader will be seventy fucking nine years old. There are two pensioner SNP mps, and another about to turn 65 before 2022, Gregory Campbell and sammy Wilson are currently 66, and there's another one of them going to be over 65 by 2022. There's a couple of Sinn Fein Mps, over 65, but they don't do very much.

In all there are four Mps born before the war, 10 during it, and there are 175 baby boomers (may 1945-1960).

They should all fuck off.
                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-02-2019, 19:40.

Comment

What does age have to do with competency, decency and progressive politics? If reaching 60 is to be considered per se negative, then I'm out of the running for whatever.

Comment

My social conscience hasn’t dimmed with age, nor the fact that I’m not leaving any offspring, thanks.

Comment

What does age have to do with competency, decency and progressive politics? If reaching 60 is to be considered per se negative, then I'm out of the running for whatever.

Do you feel up to serving the needs of a constituency, while also being an active parliamentarian? There's a good reason why there are relatively few Irish TD's over the age of 65.

And It's not that there can't be competent, decent or progressive Mps over the age of 60, it's just that most of them aren't. You can't be a teacher after the age of 65, and even bishops have to retire at 75, and they literally do fuck all.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-02-2019, 20:08.

Comment

Well, nothing has come out of the Tusk/May meeting. She is going to grind down Parliament to accept her deal at the last minute...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                          Well, nothing has come out of the Tusk/May meeting. She is going to grind down Parliament to accept her deal at the last minute...
                          I am shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

Comment

Tory rebels are not going to back a no confidence motion. That’ wouldnt involve them splitting their party, but resigning from it. Making that the bar for their participation is unrealistic.

Comment

In the end, enough Labour MPs will vote for her deal to avoid a catastrophy, she knows it.

Comment

The EU ought to issue an invitation to extend just to fuck her up.

Comment

Pretty sure they will, expecting full well she will refuse it.

Time to forget about WA and escape Brexit, the real deal is what follows, that can take any shape...

Comment

How does it work? Could Parliament overrule her and accept? I think they're likely to see it as our business to make the request anyhow but it's a nice thought.

Could the WA be voted on without any political declaration attached, and to be decided later?

Comment

Seaborne Freight contract terminated

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4061996.html

Comment

Just when you think Rees-Mogg couldn’t be more of a sneery cunt...

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          There's a good reason why there are relatively few Irish TD's over the age of 65.

And It's not that there can't be competent, decent or progressive Mps over the age of 60, it's just that most of them aren't. You can't be a teacher after the age of 65, and even bishops have to retire at 75, and they literally do fuck all.
                                          The 5 current TDs for Berba's home county (Tipperary) are aged 69, 66, 62, 61 and 44. Average 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

The 5 current TDs for Berba's home county (Tipperary) are aged 69, 66, 62, 61 and 44. Average 60.
                                            And they'll continue to elect Michael Lowry 20 years after he's dead, the thick fucks (says the man who's Tds are Mary Lou, Paschal Donohoe and Maureen O'Sullivan who I don't think has ever spoken in the Dail)

Comment

There's an 81 year old MP next door to us, Ann Clwyd. When he was 78, she announced her retirement, then changed her mind, and got re-selected again. She's been surprisingly good on Brexit.

Comment

Konrad Adenauer became Chancellor of West Germany at the age of 73 years 8 months, and led West Germany in that capacity up to the age of 87 years 9 months. After that he continued as CDU party leader up to the age of 90 years 2 months. If you've still got it, you've still got it.

Comment

Absolutely,and I think that it's rather insulting to suggest that old or older politicians selfishly focus on their own demographic and disregard the wishes and needs of the young.

Comment

haha Jackie Cahill's wikipedia page claims he was born in 1957, and 1963, and looking at him, you'd think it might have been 1953.

i wouldn't worry too much about the age of the tipperary Tds. It's probably the most brutally competitive dail constituency in the country, and all five of those td's do enormous amounts of constituency work. If they flag, then they'll lose to someone hungrier. The only party that has to worry about their age profile are the labour party, as the only ones that were returned to the Dail at the last election were the ones so deeply embedded in the constituency to survive even the Threads like scenario of the last election. Labour used to have loads of young td's. Unfortunately only two of them survived. Alan Kelly, and sean sherlock, whose father was a TD before him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X