No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right about that but might be worth a go here? Political journalists usually like resignation controversies. And ties in with huge Nissan story.

Comment

I assume Clark is one of the ones Labour hopes to peel off to prevent no deal/hard brexit, so they are probably going gently on him. But there's just not the political space fora resignation controversy anyway, hence Grayling plods on too.

Comment

http://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1093203680915058689

Comment

Matt was the origin of the shit Telegraph physical cartoonist on the Day Today, wasn't he?

Comment

It looks like the worst Brexit wanker in Scotland Ross Thomson might soon be fucking off after being accused of groping in the Stranger's bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
              I assume Clark is one of the ones Labour hopes to peel off to prevent no deal/hard brexit, so they are probably going gently on him. But there's just not the political space fora resignation controversy anyway, hence Grayling plods on too.
              I don't know, ball is in May's court for a couple of days. Why not go for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                This is backwards. Theresa May is looking to peel off a little over a hundred labour MPs to prevent a no deal brexit.

Comment

The Alternative Arrangements Working Group has collapsed into collective acrimony:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/aawg-erg-argh

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                    You're right about that but might be worth a go here? Political journalists usually like resignation controversies. And ties in with huge Nissan story.
                    "Political journalists" with a very few exceptions don't like anything that might make the Labour Party look good. Even cold factual analysis

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

This is backwards. Theresa May is looking to peel off a little over a hundred labour MPs to prevent a no deal brexit.
                      She'll have to go back to withdrawal plan A and give up this nonsense amended backstop shite so. Cos the EU won't budge on the backstop bar cosmetics. Or abandon her racist/deluded red lines on FoM/CU.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-leaked-report

if Labour backed Remain it would lose... 11 seats. And possibly gain five in Scotland for a net loss of six.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          The Alternative Arrangements Working Group has collapsed into collective acrimony:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/aawg-erg-argh
                          It shows their mindset that meeting people who live near the border and who would be affected by a hard Brexit is "a trap " and "project O'Fear, shower of pricks.

Comment

And a possible loss of 45 if it backs Brexit. They are in a bind, but there's only one way to jump.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

It shows their mindset that meeting people who live near the border and who would be affected by a hard Brexit is "a trap " and "project O'Fear, shower of pricks.
                              The dreary steeples blah blah. You can't argue with these cunts, they will dismiss facts as bleating. I hope Steve Baker has to find himself crossing the Nordie border post no deal apocalypse one night, preferably around Crossmaglen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                And a possible loss of 45 if it backs Brexit. They are in a bind, but there's only one way to jump.
                                I forgot OTF trims URLs, it’s in the URL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

"Political journalists" with a very few exceptions don't like anything that might make the Labour Party look good. Even cold factual analysis
                                  I agree re most stuff but a resignation "drama" might be different. The Mail a few years ago brought down Aiden Burley. And it's not like Clark is popular with the Tory papers.

I reckon, as Etienne says, they reckon Clark's relative sanity makes him important. But I reckon they'd have to promote somebody fairly similar because of market nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-leaked-report

if Labour backed Remain it would lose... 11 seats. And possibly gain five in Scotland for a net loss of six.
                                    I think it's gain 5,overall isn't it?

One thing not mentioned much is pro-EU Tory switchers to Labour last time. Yougov estimated 1.1m of them in 2017 (offset by 850,000 leavers switching to the Tories). Labour positioned itself very well to get those 1.1m but does it have any plan to hold on to them? If (this phase of) Brexit is done, what's to stop them drifting away again? Labour certainly needs them. I reckon Remain keeps them, and investing the proceeds of Remain (and more) in leave areas comes closest to squaring the circles on this.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-may-on-brexit

In his letter, Corbyn calls for the government to rework the political declaration setting the framework for Britain’s future relationship with the EU – and then enshrine these new negotiating objectives in UK law, so that a future Tory leader could not sweep them away after Brexit.

He says the changes to the political declaration must include:
                                      • a “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.
                                      • close alignment with the single market, underpinned by “shared institutions”.
                                      • “dynamic alignment on rights and protections”, so that UK standards do not fall behind those of the EU.
                                      • clear commitments on future UK participation in EU agencies and funding programmes.
                                      • unambiguous agreements on future security arrangements, such as use of the European arrest warrant.
                                      So the backstop which he was attacking last week is acceptable now?

Comment

As per J Portes, this is EEA+ in all but name...

Comment

which means the backstop is more or less irrelevant

Comment

When did Labour back freedom of movement?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              which means the backstop is more or less irrelevant
                                              But the backstop is still necessary cos no one trusts the UK (Tory or Labour) to keep their word. There has to be a backstop to avoid crazy triangle shapes fucking up Ireland and undermining the GFA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

I think it's gain 5,overall isn't it?

One thing not mentioned much is pro-EU Tory switchers to Labour last time. Yougov estimated 1.1m of them in 2017 (offset by 850,000 leavers switching to the Tories). Labour positioned itself very well to get those 1.1m but does it have any plan to hold on to them? If (this phase of) Brexit is done, what's to stop them drifting away again? Labour certainly needs them. I reckon Remain keeps them, and investing the proceeds of Remain (and more) in leave areas comes closest to squaring the circles on this.
                                                Those sort of polls tell us nothing really, as the pollster sort of admits. https://twitter.com/StephanShaxper/s...30427923877888

(having trouble adding a link there, not sure why...)

Comment

I don't follow Portes really. "Close allignment" to the Single Market sounds like as far as you can go without being in the EEA. The customs point sounds like cake, though he might have some inside track. Though Tusk is unaware of that track, by the sound of it.

Comment

There's a lot of unicorns in that. Either in what the EU is likely to accept, or what the tories are likely to accept. You can't have a say in EU trade deals, on the basis of being an add on to the customs union, and you can't have a close relationship with the single market. Either you're in the fucking thing, and accept all the obligations, or you are fucking belarus. There's no in between. As for the Tories accepting that the UK would maintain the same standards and protections as the rest of the EU, or shared institutions....

Also no mention of a second referendum. It's almost like that conference vote didn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X