No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nominative determinism time, as Max Gammon stands up and chats a load of absolute shite.

Comment

Apologies to our NE posters:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1091719558589829120

Comment

Labour Leavers defecting?

http://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1091762049099677697

Comment

UKIP's voter intention % has not risen so I'd be skeptical on that. Maybe idiots believed the Mail-Express headlines that May had somehow won a Commons victory?

Labour's vote is alarmingly soft, though, if that poll is accurate.

Comment

Looks like an outlier to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
              Will of the people. Values.

Comment

A single opinion poll is of absolutely zero value on its own.

Comment

http://twitter.com/KristinaHafoss/status/1090994250169356289

Comment

Bryan might help with translation, but appears Swedish Democrats no longer want to leave the EU?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/s...angre-lamna-eu
                    Yeah, the SD MEPs say that after joining the EU parliament, they realise that it makes more sense to reform the EU from the inside than to quit it. I assume they are having a great time living it up in Brussels with their MEP salaries, buying triple beers in normal supermarkets, and their kids have settled in to the local schools. Gotta keep the gravy train going.

Comment

Ianucci has nothing on this shit

Comment

More interesting is the change from 2017 GE which shows Labour down 7 and the Tories down 3 overall, with the bottom two fringe parties both up from 2% each respectively.

Imho, more due to Labour Remainders promising their votes elsewhere, albeit not to the LDs?

On the basis of many angry posts seen on Twitter about Corbyn and his Brexit stance.

Though I did find this also.
                        https://www.markpack.org.uk/155623/v...mpression=true
                        Last edited by George C.; 03-02-2019, 02:49. Reason: New information.

Comment

The MP for Shrewsbury making a total tit of himself all over the internet.

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/sta...28290337959936

It makes me weep that nonsense like this informs some people's opinion. It makes me weep that people in my town vote for this fool.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                            The MP for Shrewsbury making a total tit of himself all over the internet.

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/sta...28290337959936

It makes me weep that nonsense like this informs some people's opinion. It makes me weep that people in my town vote for this fool.
                            Lovely set of replies to it, though.

Agree with TAB's excellent breakdown of the the Gary Younge article. I've recommended Younge's book on gun violence in the US over on 'Books', but this piece was a hell of a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

That link you have there doesn't link to the piece. I think this is the one you're looking for. Most Articles by Younge are excellent. That article is a mess. .

Leave Voters weren't voting to make themselves poorer. They were promised that it would have minimal negative impacts, and had a substantial upside. I mean one of the major Leave Promises was that an extra £350 million a week would be spent on the NHS. They were just flat out lied to. Leave Voters might now say that they don't care if it makes it poorer, but that's because a lot of people would sooner cut off their left hand than admit that they had made a terrible mistake. They just were drowned in a steady 35+ years of lies about the EU, that escalated to a campaign based around promising everyone, everything they could want. And A lot of people liked it. No-one wants to admit they were conned. They actually really wanted to buy a murderously dangerous Monorail from that guy with a song.

Poor people in America protest against healthcare not because of something in Uncle tom They're doing it because they are protesting against Obama because every time they turn on the television or radio they were hearing that he was a muslim communist who wasn't even american. When you don't call it Obamacare they seem to quite like a lot of it. The Slaves In Uncle tom's cabin don't want to be slaves because it is horrendous. If people think that the EU is an imposition on their freedom, then either they're a hedge fund owner, or they are really badly informed about the constraints EU membership places on their lives.

People outside the UK would have an easier job of understanding the "Take back control" narrative if the UK didn't have the most childish electoral system in Europe, which is explicitly designed to remove as much control as possible from voters, and place it in the hands of the leadership cadres of one of two large parties who manages to get the slightly larger minority of votes. Leaving the EU isn't going to change that.

This is something that people seem to be missing from the rise of populist parties. Traditional parties are limited in the promises they can make by reality, and explaining how they are going to pay for it, but populist parties can promise any old shit and people love it. For instance in italy the northern League and the Five star offered people a heady diet of two different styles of completely undeliverable promises. All they've managed to do is drive italy into a recession, and delivered nothing other than a much nastier attitude to migrants. There's a lot of people giving Jeremy Corbyn a lot of credit for how Labour did at the last election, but a lot of that came down to running a platform of promising to give people shit, without ever really adequately explaining how the fuck they were going to pay for it. this is grand if you're just trying to grow the party vote, but if you get elected, then you're fucked.
                              That analysis is pretty much the one I've been trying to give you for the last year and a half. That's why I mentioned First past the Post repeatedly,

What I understand Younge to be talking about is the situation now and what you say to people now. people who have been lied to and neglected for the last twenty years. and whose concerns and desperates situation many london remainers continue to mock.

If you don't think about the specifics of the situation here, including the media and the electoral system whne thinking about what the Labour party or the wider anti brexit forces should do then you're just as bad as t"he populist parties who promise any old shit and people love it"

Comment

Pensioners are the bedrock of Brexit. They've not been treated badly in the last 20 years at all.

Comment

There are a number of groups- and the trouble with your analysis, Tubby is that someone who is a pensioner is also a NHS user, a parent and grandparent, someone who has seen their town gutted.

Comment

NHS users haven't been done over "for 20 years".

Comment

I didn’t say they have. But they have recently. If you are a pensioner now you probably make more use of a worse NHS than you did 20 years ago. Also „pensioner“ is a category people enter and leave

Comment

A useful corrective to the current vogue for a Border poll:

http://twitter.com/WhelanKarl/status/1092008558311428097

Comment

I have been telling myself that we need a tipping point event to shift opinion further against Brexit. Rightly or wrongly, Nissan pulling the plug was my choice. They have released a very dark statement about the future of the plant imo. Now we will see what happens...

Comment

Given the Faroes deal was on a continuity basis, rather than new terms, it appears Scottish fishermen will be irate:

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/s...fishing-groups

Comment

A petition has been launched to get Ireland to rejoin the UK.

Comment

That's fuckin brilliant!

Comment

Thing is, he winds up telling them that the Govt isn't looking to have a general election in 2018, which isn't a denial that it's going to have one later this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X