No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On FoM, Labour has no issue with May. That's the hill both parties are willing to die on, the rest i am not so sure...

Comment

If you only read one Brexit article today, Dearbhail McDonald's piece on the backstop is excellent.

Comment

I knew her quite well in College. She's class. She's also the sort of person that I simply wouldn't get into an argument with, Not unless I had developed a masochistic streak, and being systematically dismantled in an intellectually rigorous and publicly humiliating way was my thing.

Comment

You were lucky. I was at TCD with uncle Quentin Letts

Any demos planned in Dublin when the rugger buggers arrive?

Comment

February recess suspended.

Comment

Nick Timothy has a variation on "Ireland needs to leave the EU".

If even an invisible Irish border is unacceptable to the EU, another option is available: a customs territory comprising the UK and Ireland. The republic could remain in the EU but leave its customs union, agreeing instead a common commercial policy including matching tariffs with the UK. This would protect Irish consumers and businesses: the republic imports more from the UK than from any EU country, and the UK is its second biggest European export market. It would also support Irish exports: 85 per cent of its freight trade to the continent uses British ports.

Comment

The best thing about that is that Timothy doesn't even say "Britain and Ireland jointly decide tariffs". He says Ireland matches Britain's.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post
                  February recess suspended.
                  In name only.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1090976902586818562

Comment

When did they come back from Christmas holidays?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      When did they come back from Christmas holidays?
                      Well, morally and intellectually they've been absent since about 1998. I've reached a point with those clowns where I would happily see the lot of them loaded into a rocket and fired into the sun.

I'll be having some awkward conversations with family this weekend about why it might not "be alright in the end" and why they really should consider stocking up on food and medicines right fricking now.

In terms of outcomes, I'd accept whichever one doesn't result in blood on the streets and a further emergence of the far right, but I have no idea which path gets us to that point.

Comment

As I posted on a thread on Facebook, I can't help but think that if they just called the whole thing off, there might be a couple of minor skirmishes and the kippers would get back a few votes, but by the next election it'd be basically forgotten. Especially if the Tories actually kept their "austerity is over" promise.

Comment

I tend to agree with Hobbes. You would have a minority of angry losers causing problems, it would be a good way to catch them and lock them up. It could get ugly in some forgotten shitholes for foreigners for a little while (very much concerned by this on a personnal level btw if you think i am being flippant) and the majority of discontent would be the kind that is always angry about the modern world yet never does anything.

​​​​As for killing the trust of those 'never voted before' types, well good, politics should be a bit more than just nihilist gestures to piss off those that have something to live for.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                            The best thing about that is that Timothy doesn't even say "Britain and Ireland jointly decide tariffs". He says Ireland matches Britain's.
                            He should come here and say that.

Comment

Yeah I'm with Hobbes and MS, fuck these bams. The sort of twats that post Tommy Robinson shite on Facebook shouldn't decide policy. By placating this shower youse are risking proper mad bastards with guns in Nordie land setting everything on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                I tend to agree with Hobbes. You would have a minority of angry losers causing problems, it would be a good way to catch them and lock them up. It could get ugly in some forgotten shitholes for foreigners for a little while (very much concerned by this on a personnal level btw if you think i am being flippant) and the majority of discontent would be the kind that is always angry about the modern world yet never does anything.
                                I'm not going all 'we must please the racists' here, but I'm a bit more concerned than that. Jo Cox was killed by a nutter in the run-up to the last Ref, and I think that there's just been more stoking up of resentment since then. I mean, the idea of 'calling the whole thing off' angers even me, and I campaigned for Remain. There's no way that it'd be forgotten in 3 years; and, if you add in the cast-iron certainty that austerity isn't 'over' - there's a fair body of opinion that thinks it hasn't even kicked in yet - then the anger will be multiplied.

Comment

As if Radio 4's Today programme couldn't get any worse, contrarian Ray Bassett will be interviewed tomorrow.

Comment

"Jo Cox was killed by a nutter"?

And what stoked that nuttery?

Each and every member of UKIP, and everyone in Leave.EU.

​​​​​

Comment

I still do not understand how Farage and co were allowed to skate away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        I still do not understand how Farage and co were allowed to skate away from that.
                                        Well most of your media were singing off the same hymn sheet, and have if anything got much worse.

Comment

Proper shitshow with 8 Labour frontbenchers not supporting Cooper's amendment, and not being sacked. Some sizeable majorities among them. Emma Lewell-Buck won last time by 35.6%. Hardly anybody who votes Labour sees No Deal Brexit as a point of principle.

This sort of bollocks is just feeding the narrative that the current extreme trajectory is the will of "working class Northerners", and makes it harder to get to anywhere sane.

Comment

Corbyn is also talking about a backstop that UK can't unilaterally withdraw from as unacceptable. I'm hoping from ignorance rather than triangulating cynicism.

Comment

Learned a new word today that seems appropriate here - ochlocracy

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                Corbyn is also talking about a backstop that UK can't unilaterally withdraw from as unacceptable. I'm hoping from ignorance rather than triangulating cynicism.
                                                Yeah. Very poor.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post
                                                  "Jo Cox was killed by a nutter"?

And what stoked that nuttery?

Each and every member of UKIP, and everyone in Leave.EU.

​​​​​
                                                  I agree.

Comment

Does it really matter at this point? It doesn't matter if he's malign or just stupid, he's just fucking terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X