The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnr View Post
    All I mean is, is that the vote doesn't come back till then. Nothing substantial can happen until then.

On the bright side, if Labour did vote for it and it passes, the DUP would break their pact, wouldn't they?
    If the EU refuse to play ball and don't even chuck May a bone, isn't Labour's best move to promise that they would back or abstain in another vote on the existing deal. They can say that they acted in the national interest to avoid a no-deal exit, the Conservatives descend into civil war and the DUP probably ends their confidence & supply agreement triggering a General Election. Labour go into it against a disunited Conservative Party promising to negotiate the second phase of the withdrawl in a way that best protects jobs, workers rights, the environment and so on.

Comment

What a bloody desperate day. I'm firmly in the Ad Hoc camp here.

I've had a nice, reassuring letter from the Dutch Home Office. Thoughtfully informing me that they recognise my difficult situation and what will happen in each situation once they know what the fuck the British Government actually wants. At least they have solid contingency plans and are remaining remarkably civil and tolerant.

Unlike our own screaming , intolerant, ideological, delusional bigots.

This is the most depressing day since the referendum. I really hope Europe politely tells England to go and fuck itself.

Comment

Yes I listened to it last week. Could have gone on at least twice as long for me.

Comment

Going to go to my boss and ask to renegotiate the clause in my contract that says I have to go to work. I mean, he’s already ruled it out but I now have the will of me behind me.

And if I crash out with no job that’s fine. I didn’t have a job for the first 16 years of my life and everything was fine so I see no reason why it won’t be again.

I am an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
            Even Flint knew that Brady was bollocks. Actually she's not stupid,
            I think you're going out on a limb with that one.

Comment

I've reached the conclusion that trying to fight for and advocate what is best for the UK now has to take second place to advocating for what is best for the EU. And clearly what is best for the EU is that this shitshow of a country with its pathetic lying useless politicians who care only about themselves and nothing beyond that, as well as its hard right xenophobic media, leaves as soon as possible.

It's not that the EU is somehow perfect, obviously far from it, but it has things that it needs to focus on, problems that it needs to face, and challenges that it has to address. And waiting for the utterly pathetic UK to get its shit together is no longer one of those challenges.

It's tragic for the people in Britain that I know and love and especially for the foreigners living here who are getting utterly screwed by these self-obsessed racist tossers, but it's clear that nobody who has any power or influence in the UK will ever say "Listen we need to stop. This is stupid.", so let's just move on. Britain can carry on living in the past and the rest of us can move on and see how we can best approach the future.

Comment

I am coming to terms with a number of unpleasant scenarios, i also resent how selfish i am becoming thanks to Brexit.

Comment

The Brady amendment is so vague it would never have made it onto the order paper of most trade union conferences. Parliament's standards are clearly lower than those of organised labour. All who voted for it have admitted themselves to be profoundly stupid as well as self-serving.

Comment

Why isn't everyone saying to May "NO-ONE CAN VOTE FOR YOUR FUCKING DEAL BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING DEAL BECAUSE YOU FUCKING TRASHED THE FUCKING DEAL YOU HAD."?

Comment

Aye. And has there been a more deluded set of front-page headlines in a country with a free press than the ones adorning most of ours today?

Comment

It's all very Henry VI, isn't it? A pious, weak leader losing influence on the Continent as supposedly loyal subjects plot and scheme, some failing in open warfare, others biding their time for when the fatal blow is struck.

Comment

I've bought the Daily Telegraph because it was the Craziest English newspaper available in the Local shop. I'll be reporting back on what I find.

Comment

How long can it take to type "lies, nationalism and more lies"?

Comment

http://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1090604274080514053

Comment

http://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1090631512255541248

Comment

About 6 posts today. I think most people might be like me. Totally and utterly fucked off. Can't even bear to hear any news because I know it will be full of triumphant wankers spouting outrageous, irrelevant, dangerous crap, reported by a sycophantic, compliant media.

My fucking country.

Comment

I've cut back on consuming social media and following the news because I realised that it was driving me mental. I mean that sincerely, and half of the time I'm calming my wife down because she is disappearing down the Brexit rabbit hole. We've worked for the best part of a decade to build a successful small business and both of us have no idea what the hell is going to happen over the next year. Especially as all that hard work is really beginning to pay off.

Not to mention two good Belgian friends, who despite having built a highly successful business over 17 years, paid taxes and taught kids from a school in Rotherham robotics to a point that they go to the US compete in championships... have been denied permanent residency and are leaving next month. One of them has really gone down the Facebook/Twitter FBPE etc feedback loop and it is massively affecting her.

As it is my friend in Prague who is six months short of being able to apply for permanent residency. Unfortunately for him, the British Embassy is run by a Brexiteer so all his questions about status, residency etc are met with boilerplate replies about business opportunities, trade deals and various other unicorns. Luckily his employer has said they will help him out but that is absolutely not down to the UK Government. The amount of work that EU countries are doing to ensure the rights and continuations of UK citizens cannot be underestimated. There is a lot of things they are doing that simply aren't being reported on and it is massively frustrating. The media in this country is more fucked that you can possibly imagine.

It does feel like 52% of the country has gone crazy and the remaining 48% seem to have gone crazy trying to cope. Thankfully I've found a gig that should be Brexit proof but right now I'm contracted until the end of July so who knows what the fuck the country will look like then. I'm having to turn down good jobs abroad in EU countries because I can't plan ahead.

I work in a field that is in demand and even I feel that work is precarious. What the hell it is for others in less fortunate situations, God knows.

I explain all this to my Leave voting dad. He quietly says "I didn't know about that". I want to scream at him but... he's my Dad. He meant well. He just got conned. He's worked hard all his life, he's paid his taxes, he's got a shitty pension at the end of it and just believed the bullshit on the side of the bus. In the con, you can't scream at the mark.
                                    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 30-01-2019, 22:34. Reason: Spelling and grammar because I'm a bottle of wine in and not coping well today.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      Why isn't everyone saying to May "NO-ONE CAN VOTE FOR YOUR FUCKING DEAL BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING DEAL BECAUSE YOU FUCKING TRASHED THE FUCKING DEAL YOU HAD."?
                                      Because the media would rather people starved in the street and ate grass than faced the prospect of a labour government

Comment

looking forward to Berbaslug meeting the Daily Telegraph....

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Because the media would rather people starved in the street and ate grass than faced the prospect of a labour government
                                          That doesn't really explain why Labour isn't saying it.

Comment

You have my sympathy Snake. I also haven't got a clue what's around the corner and starting to think some very hard decisions are coming.

Comment

Exactly what concessions could Corbyn hope to get from May and her cronies on workers' rights, the environment and so on, and how much would any concessions fall pathetically short of what we have (not perfect by any means) at present?

[Now posted on correct thread!]

Comment

I think it depends on (a) how much May is desperate to get some version of Brexit through that obeys her red lines (this seems to be very desperate); (b) to what extent she thinks she won't be able to get the onomatopoeiacally determinative ERG on board (obviously since she won't get any relief from the EU on the border, this seems like she won't); (c) to what extent Labour would trust her on any promises she made (obviously it would have to be somehow set in stone, because clearly no-one in their right mind would ever trust a Tory on workers rights).

I think it is possible that this will happen, to be honest, because her big thing is obviously Freedom of Movement, as this satisfies her deep xenophobia, and being the PM who gets Brexit done. And it seems like Labour (for reasons of their own seem to be anti freedom of movement too in that legitimate concerns way) and if they could get some kind of deal which protects workers and the environment they'd take that.

Comment

On the permanent residency issue, Brexiteers often love Trump but if any of them ever moved to the US, they would find a lot of doors closed to them. 'Americans first' means 'Americans only' in many job fields so you have to work as a contractor or adjunct and get exploited and fucked accordingly.

Comment

Apparently May is now going after Labour MPs in leave constituencies by essentially promising them cash (the constituencies not the MPs, though, you know). Obviously as this approach has served her well with the DUP it's the way she does politics now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X