• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank the Lords:

http://twitter.com/ParlyApp/status/1089975305270448128

Comment

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1089946126554484736

You see. This is why it's all Corbyn's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
        Ah, so she's bat shit crazy. Is it possible to get her sectioned?
        I had to call the police to my mum's home once, which ended up with my little brother being sectioned. I guess he was bat shit crazy.

Comment

Diane Abott on Twitter saying that Labour position is to end EU free movement and preserve Common Travel Area with Ireland.

Ah sure why not.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
            Diane Abott on Twitter saying that Labour position is to end EU free movement and preserve Common Travel Area with Ireland.

Ah sure why not.
            that's not quite what she said.

Comment

She said that they wanted to restore the common Travel area (which hadn't gone anywhere) and accepted that leaving the single market meant the end of free movement, (which is the wrong way around) But that the bill needed to be amended. As though that means anything any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                As I understand it, evenif by some Boltzmann brain-esque quantum fluctuation the EU were to agree to replace the backstop, parliament would still have to have another vote.As I read the European Union (Withdrawal) Act, what parliament is required to vote on for it to have effect is what is stated to have already been agreed between the EU and the UK. We can't preemptively vote for it.
                (1) The withdrawal agreement may be ratified only if— (a) a Minister of the Crown has laid before each House of Parliament— (i) a statement that political agreement has been reached, (ii) a copy of the negotiated withdrawal agreement, and (iii) a copy of the framework for the future relationship,(b) the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship have been approved by a resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown, (c) a motion for the House of Lords to take note of the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship has been tabled in the House of Lords by a Minister of the Crown and— (i) the House of Lords has debated the motion, or (ii) the House of Lords has not concluded a debate on the motion before the end of the period of five Lords sitting days beginning with the first Lords sitting day after the day on which the House of Commons passes the resolution mentioned in paragraph (b), and (d) an Act of Parliament has been passed which contains provision for the implementation of the withdrawal agreement

Comment

The Guardian has had a story up for an hour and a half and have given it at least three different headlines so far.

"Brexiter MPs back away..."

"Theresa May splits Tories..."

And another one I've forgotten already.

Jacob Rees-Mogg says ERG will not back Brady amendment but other Brexiters waver

Comment

Thread [URL]https://twitter.com/bickerrecord/status/1089947387991330817?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It is always interesting to read someone desperately trying to justify a position that even those who took it have gone back on because it's so bloody awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        Does Bastani or someone with cop on have any rationale for Labour abstaining on the immigration bill that doesn't involve racist pandering? It's a shocking neglect of duty and decency.

Scottish Labour membership has apparently halved since last year (though they are v cagey on how many actual members exist for Slab). This should help see to their extinction as a campaigning force outside bussing in "volunteers".
                        In the end, they did a one-line whip against - which meant a third of their MPs didn't bother to show and the bill passed easily (the disgrace is shared, imo, between the leadership and the individual MPs who were no-shows).

Labour's logic is they want to amend the bill in committee. I've not heard any rationale from anyone supportive of the leadership except Skwawkbox (and the Spectator, lol) who went with "Labour was trying to signal to working class voters in the north that they hear their concerns about the exploitation of immigrants" - a very roundabout way of saying """legitimate concerns""".

It's not clear whether a stronger labour whip could have defeated the bill - only two tories rebelled in the end. But it's incredibly disappointing.
                        Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 29-01-2019, 09:11.

Comment

Two Tory rebels is two more than you'll get on any confidence vote. This general election lark, where Labour loses because of a rebellion by imaginary Jon Trickett people is warping thinking.

Comment

Two Tory rebels is two more than they would have got if Labour had gone full three line whip.

Comment

Don't think they were ever getting many. I'm not saying they should have defeated the government, and I'm not blaming the leadership for having a bunch of Flints on their hands. Just saying the strategy is wrong and causing unnecessary mistakes.

Comment

I'm not going to defend the failure to enforce a three-line whip on a matter of the sort of principle that got the current leadership where they are, no.

Comment

What on earth is going on now?

Comment

May is coming up with her own unicorn in order to be able to blame the EU for rejecting it.

Comment

Labour backing Cooper. Trickett's going to have an awkward conversation with his own imagination.

Comment

Does this May-Brady lark even pass the Commons?

Comment

Who cares- they’re just time wasting now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                            Does this May-Brady lark even pass the Commons?
                                            “Boris, Jacob, Arlene. Do you want to be able to blame the EU for the forthcoming mess?”

Comment

A few of the brighter ones have been defending the backstop. Do they vote for it? Not sure they do.

Comment

The former Labour MP for Peterborough is off to jail. Wont help knife edge votes.

Comment

Didn’t take the whip anyway. Don’t think this is the major takeaway from events this lunchtime

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1090244410594471939?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X