replied
    https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1343890893745565696

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Brexit being rewritten as if it’s Leicester City

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1343984426804523010?s=21
    In fairness both largely owe their success to the funding of shadowy dodgy figures, with suspicious connections to undemocratic regimes, and the incuriosity of a compliant complacent media, more interested in narrative than underlying truths

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    People are ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Brexit being rewritten as if it’s Leicester City

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1343984426804523010?s=21

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Luckily the users of Netscape Communicator 4.0 are covered by the agreement https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55475433

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    And talking of presbyterians....

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1342170159600070656?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    How Presbyterian.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Satchmo is right. It is Prolet in the original.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    It was translated from Prolet - slob?

Proletarian in German is Proletarier.

But it's an ad hominem whatever the translation so not really worthy of an intelligent article. Trump for example is a slob but is that relevant to his fascism? And drunken is a slur on alcoholics, and has a history of being racist (when applied to groups).
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-12-2020, 19:36.

Leave a comment:

• Kowalski
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Farage is "proletarian"? What an extraordinarily ridiculous thing to say.

A mistranslation, perhaps?
    I've met a few Germans (on Erasmus projects no less) and they all liked to use a bit of irony whilst speaking their second language on the other hand the article went through google translate.
    Last edited by Kowalski; 28-12-2020, 19:22.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Farage is "proletarian"? What an extraordinarily ridiculous thing to say.

A mistranslation, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• Kowalski
    replied
    From Der Spigel

Anger instead of sadness

A column by Nikolaus Blome

Great Britain is out of the EU. The liars and amateurs on the island won. You are an eternal shame for all conservatives - December 28, 2020, 10:27 a.m.

In liberal-conservative milieus, people insist on seeing things from the ground up and taking them with composure if necessary. But we're only human too.

That's why I would like to lose my composure at this point and get tremendously upset about Brexit : In all the years as a journalist, I have not seen such a shameful rogue as this one, and put into action by a party that calls itself "conservative".

There is nothing, absolutely nothing good about Brexit, which is why I am also outraged by the rationalization or appeasement that many comments these days are busy with: That Europe will do better with a well-associated Great Britain than with a constantly nagging EU member. That you should let travelers go. That the EU would only get stronger through such departures. That the British can come back.

What bullshit. The European Union has not grown a bit at this exit, and neither will it (unless a miracle happens). Since the Brexit vote, the EU has not achieved anything that it could not have achieved with the British as a member state. So if you are looking for any continental European benefit of Brexit, you will find nothing. Only the remaining member states did not allow themselves to be played off against each other, and none of them followed the British over the cliff. Some of the solid posts in London may have believed that could be achieved. But that only says something about the degree of their delusion and nothing about the strength of the EU.

Quite a few on the continent, on the other hand, complain about alleged mistakes by the EU in dealing with the British. According to this, the "Eurocrats" with their excess of anti-market bureaucracy would have pissed off the British from the Union. Or Angela Merkel with her refugee policy. Or the club of insatiable net recipients. Or the ECJ because European law breaks British law.

But that is also blatant nonsense, because it misses the point: Brexit would never have happened if cranky conservative politicians had not deceived and lied to their people in a hitherto unknown manner. The big British media have made themselves accomplices with their ?reporting? and constantly trampled on fairness and facts, what af *** ing disgrace . The continental Europeans , from Merkel to Jean-Claude Juncker , did not oppose it at the time, but let the British make it out among themselves. It was failure to provide help in the hour of need.

That's why even the sadness that shimmers in many comments on Brexit is getting on my nerves. I don't feel sadness, only anger: Britain has been captured by gambling liars, frivolous clowns and their claqueurs. They destroyed my Europe, to which the island belonged as well as France or Germany.

A drunken proletarian like Nigel Farage , leader of the Ukip party, has tabled countless lies about the European Union, but he would never have come anywhere near political influence had the Tories not used him in their power struggles. David Cameron , leader of the Conservatives, was so in love with his magical campaign moments that he felt that in a few weeks before the referendum he could make up for the many years he and his party had scapegoated the EU for everything is going wrong on the island, and that's a lot. As Boris Johnson finally had to decide where he wanted to be in this referendum, two texts were on his desk for publication: one for and one against Brexit. That would be like having Willy Brandt had two concepts in the drawer, one for Ostpolitik and one against it. Or Helmut Kohl would have had a plan for reunification and one against it. It's all so ridiculous.

Johnson sent a red bus across the country that lied so boldly in very large letters about the UK's EU contribution and the domestic NHS health care system that even Farage was too much. The invasion of millions of Muslims from Turkey and the Middle East was presented as a decided EU plan, and the risks of Brexit were systematically chattered down, because the EU is more dependent on Great Britain than the other way around. In reality, however, the UK is only the EU’s fifth largest trading partner, while the EU is the UK’s largest.

"Take back control," Johnson lied to the citizens, the British government only achieved: take back control of our little shovel and our little sand castle. Just before Christmas, when France closed the Channel Tunnel, the prime minister and his amphibians found out what that is worth when things get serious. After all, the fact that French oysters and champagne could become scarce is the only language that the island's elitist Johnsons understand, the Brexit agreement came about after all. A central point in this is the goods border dividing the United Kingdom between Northern Ireland and Great Britain, for which Johnson only his predecessor Theresa May demonized, only to accept it as prime minister in new negotiations, then to deny it later and, when that didn't help, to break it.

But sarcasm and schadenfreude do not fit Brexit, just naked horror: Great Britain is the first to leave the Erasmus program for all European students' semesters abroad. Two of my children were allowed to do an Erasmus semester like this, there is nothing better. In January 2020, Boris Johnson made a great promise in the House of Commons that Great Britain would remain part of the program. Now he said it was too expensive for his country. Any questions?
    So it turns out that people from the European mainland not only understand what's happening in the UK but have an opinion on it. Who'd have thought that?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Forensic.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Just because we vote for it doesn’t mean we support it.

https://twitter.com/rachelreevesmp/status/1343591376240435200?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    https://twitter.com/JennyGilruth/status/1343591501494935552?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Norway said as much during the indicative votes process, but quickly backtracked.

There’s fishing rights and possibly some financial services goodies on stake for the four members, plus it’s OMOV so the UK can’t just bully everyone. And I don’t know much about the original EFTA but the UK would have been the biggest member by far of that too, but I don’t know how much of their affairs were the UK getting its way over the objections of the others.
    The UK essentially established the original EFTA itself after staying aloof from the Messina Conference, and invited Portugal, Austria and the others to join in - it was basically a trade grouping aimed as a poke in the eye to the Six.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Norway said as much during the indicative votes process, but quickly backtracked.

There’s fishing rights and possibly some financial services goodies on stake for the four members, plus it’s OMOV so the UK can’t just bully everyone. And I don’t know much about the original EFTA but the UK would have been the biggest member by far of that too, but I don’t know how much of their affairs were the UK getting its way over the objections of the others.
    Pre the 1973 accession, Denmark was as much an economic colony/satellite of Britain as Ireland at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    It's more for the Indy thread but my feeling is true independence is always declared unilaterally. Asking for a chance to vote on it is pissing pointless.
    Norway freeing itself from Sweden was done by a referendum. India/Pakistan by negotiation (and then horrific loss of life; in no small part due to fucking Mountbatten).

also the EU won't recognise a UDI, for fear of the Effin Catalans. Nor will the US.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-12-2020, 20:43.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Yeah, the flaw in the soft Brexit proponents of U.K. joining EFTA was that the likes of Norway and Iceland wouldn't be at all keen to suddenly be dominated by some massive population country with a capricious political class, and they prob wouldn't have allowed the U.K. to join. This asymmetric power relationship doesn't apply to Indy Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    It's more for the Indy thread but my feeling is true independence is always declared unilaterally. Asking for a chance to vote on it is pissing pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Having one part of the U.K. in the EU at least in terms of goods, and effectively with a hard border to the rest surely undermines the Our Precious Indivisible Union case advanced by wanks like These Islands. The Nordies are the Trojan horse in this.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    And UKania fairly reeks of late Soviet terminal decay.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Short of setting a few bombs off - and I am not saying that that should, would or could happen - Westminster can happily ignore it, and indeed punish Holyrood. The cruelty is, after all, the point.
    Violence clearly could happen. There's a nearby and recent precedent. Which developed quite quickly- NI seemed fairly calm in the mid 60s.

It wouldn't need to be on Troubles scale (30 years or 10,000 deaths allowing for greater population). Lithuania or Slovenia escaped the other failed states after a few relatively minor skirmishes

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    In time, unrest, escalations (though I'd imagine not military). It looked safe enuf to ignore the bally Irish in 1910, but pustules eventually burst.
    They've got the entire media on their side to whip up sentiment. Short of setting a few bombs off - and I am not saying that that should, would or could happen - Westminster can happily ignore it, and indeed punish Holyrood. The cruelty is, after all, the point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X