No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about taking back control for parliament, see.

Comment

Swayne was joking.

Comment

Big dumb-guy question: what's the actual, workable, long-term solution for the Ireland(s) question? No border, but some unique currency / trade agreement? I mean, it's an island, so theoretically some kind of 'unique' solution could work. Is anyone proposing anything that's both clever and doable?

Comment

A united Ireland. Or world communism.

Comment

Has the united Ireland question ever been seriously considered?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              Big dumb-guy question: what's the actual, workable, long-term solution for the Ireland(s) question? No border, but some unique currency / trade agreement? I mean, it's an island, so theoretically some kind of 'unique' solution could work. Is anyone proposing anything that's both clever and doable?
              Both countries being in the EU?

Comment

The UK staying in the EEA and a bilateral customs arrangement would suffice.

Comment

Has the united Ireland question ever been seriously considered?
                  yes and no, But never on a serious or practical level. Before Brexit I would have said that it would have happened within 30 years, but now it could happen within a year.

Comment

I suppose you could invent some kind of grandfathered dual-citizenship arrangement that doesn't get passed down. For the pro-UK folk who'd be affected, like.

Comment

https://twitter.com/lumi_1984/status/1084885254492618754

Comment

I suppose you could invent some kind of grandfathered dual-citizenship arrangement that doesn't get passed down. For the pro-UK folk who'd be affected, like.
                        Every one with at least one grandparent born on the island of Ireland has the right to Irish citizenship including all Unionists,

Comment

Lord Hill, the recent (Tory) EU Commissioner for financial affairs, reckons the EEA option is no good for the City at all. Doesn't back Remain, but it's the logic of his comments. It amazes me we haven't heard more on this theme.

Comment

This is quite something.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1084763508951138304

It's all agreed but it's got to be reciprocal, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                              Lord Hill, the recent (Tory) EU Commissioner for financial affairs, reckons the EEA option is no good for the City at all. Doesn't back Remain, but it's the logic of his comments. It amazes me we haven't heard more on this theme.
                              Well, think about it this way. If the UK is in the EEA, then they no longer get to block EU financial regulation, which wipes out a lot of the point of being in the UK in the first place.

Comment

I presume all four preliminary amendments will also be defeated?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ParlyApp/...63140885725184

Comment

Reading an article today on 'peppers': people stockpiling tinned goods, batteries, petrol, etc. Some even learning to grow their own veg. All very wise and pragmatic.

And then this: “"It’s just, like, try to stock up on everything as best as we can to the point, for instance, we’re trying to buy plates that don’t break just in case it’s going to be much harder to buy plates”."

Imagine the Great Plate Shortage being right up there on the list....

Comment

Couldn't the government just ignore Parliament entirely and proceed with the agreement with the EU?

Comment

David Allen Green's totally unscientific poll on Twitter has 62% expecting an A50 extension (and 15% expecting A50 to be revoked).

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                        I presume all four preliminary amendments will also be defeated?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ParlyApp/...63140885725184
                                        Probably, but they could be close run and will give a good indicator of the scale of rebellion on the main one. The Speaker is playing a blinder here, and making himself more unpopular with the government by the day - he's opted not to select the two amendments which involved the government hiding behind their own backbenchers (far from the first time of course) rather than having the conviction to amend their own motion (which they were still able to do).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          Couldn't the government just ignore Parliament entirely and proceed with the agreement with the EU?
                                          No, there's a binding requirement for any agreement to be subject to a meaningful vote in Parliament.

Comment

Boreham Wood FC issue "come and join us" plea to Warnock

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub....-do-your-duty/

Comment

I just did some sick in my mouth. I wish I could unread that screed of absolute drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                Boreham Wood FC issue "come and join us" plea to Warnock

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub....-do-your-duty/
                                                This is my favourite sentence....
                                                So we believe, as Mrs May to her credit does, that Brexit must mean Brexit and we remind the intellectuals out there, that doesn’t make us all stupid, nationalistic, fascist, ignorant, business stupid, or all of those things.
                                                If you are happy to repeat a line as intellectually blank as 'brexit means brexit', then perhaps you can expect to be accused of being ignorant.

Comment

Congratulations to both the previous two posters for managing to read past the first sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X