No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had to tell my wife to tell her dad that his much awaited trip to Spain in June, where is staying for a month, might become a problem in case of no deal as there is no information as to what happens with EHIC and no travel insurance will cover him (a number of chronic conditions and, now, cancer...) which won't exactly boost his morale...

Comment

Well, there is information, it's just uncertain which outcome we're going to get.

Comment

Correct GY, I just checked the BMA infopack about this, immediate end of reciprocal agreements...I do hope those Leave means Leave types living abroad have their private healthcare cover sorted...

Comment

There is legislation going through parliament that would allow reciprocal arrangements to be continued on a bilateral basis, but I don't think any have actually been agreed.

Comment

You would think that Spain would be high on the list of such bilateral agreements to be concluded due to the large British immigrant community over there but there is also Gibraltar to contend with...

Comment

Not all about Brexit of course, but can't have helped. Take that, Metropolitan South Wales elite.

Chris Elmore, MP for Ogmore next door, has just announced support for a People's Vote.

Comment

What would be the point of Juncker saying the backstop would be "temporary" when that word, without further clarification, could mean any length of time you want it to mean? A decade or even a century is still "temporary" because it ends but that's no use to the gammons, who would want it to mean something unfeasibly short like three months. It's just semantic bollocks that won't sway enough votes to be meaningful but it means Juncker can pretend to be offering a concession which really is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  What would be the point of Juncker saying the backstop would be "temporary" when that word, without further clarification, could mean any length of time you want it to mean? A decade or even a century is still "temporary" because it ends but that's no use to the gammons, who would want it to mean something unfeasibly short like three months. It's just semantic bollocks that won't sway enough votes to be meaningful but it means Juncker can pretend to be offering a concession which really is not there.
                  True, but reiterates that the aim is to conclude the trade talks before the transition ends, ensuring that the backstop is never actually activated - not terribly likely, I'll admit, but that's the intention, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                    Not all about Brexit of course, but can't have helped. Take that, Metropolitan South Wales elite.

Chris Elmore, MP for Ogmore next door, has just announced support for a People's Vote.

Isn't that more about JLR developing their own diesel engines (d'oh!) and so not needing Ford engines rather than Brexit, like the JLR redundancies are about the decision in 2015 to up sticks to Slovakia?

Comment

That's right. I think more generally though that hard times make Brexit even worse.

Comment

One for Spoony. Can you spot the flaw?

Comment

He's got another killer point too. Can you spot the flaw in this one too?

Comment

I have to say, I'm on board for 4% interest rates. Not overnight or anything, but as an equilibrium.
                            Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 11-01-2019, 21:36.

Comment

So Boris Johnson was in Dublin at the weekend to speak at a conference.

he's not popular here.

Comment

Oh and also posted on that corbyn thread. Prof Ronan McCrea is having a good Brexit.

Comment

'Labour delusionnal and dishonest proposal'....

Comment

Where's Spoony? I got up expecting some top drawer invective v Matthew Goodwin.

Comment

He's got something a lot more important on his mind at the moment than Brexit.

Comment

Chief shouty man James Goddard has been lifted by the polis today, en route to the first of the wars he promised "every Saturday".

Comment

Seems as good a place as any to put this.

Comment

Hahahaha. There was a time when I would have been fairly sure that wasn't real.

Comment

Speaking of house prices, we're up for a remortgage at the start of April...

Comment

Yup. Us too.

Comment

No confidence vote sounds like it's on for Tuesday.

Comment

Colin gives us the benefit of his views:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-brexit-leave

Comment

Working...
                                                    X