Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1064631868824408064

Comment

I wouldn't get too excited about this. This is just them firing a shot across Theresa May's bows. They'll vote against the Brexit bill, which will be defeated, and then they will have got everything they will go back to supporting the govt, having achieved their aim of undermining the Good Friday Agreement. I don't think they will be in too much of a rush to the ballot boxes in the aftermath of a no-deal brexit.

Comment

And today’s Brexit Brussels-Strasbourg Sprout Award goes to… (Trommelwirbel)

(more Trommelwirbel)

(louder Trommelwirbel)

(more - Alsatian-Bavarian - big oompah Trommelwirbel)

Nadine.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1063844000766021632

Bravissimo Nadine, that is some major mind-blowing piece of insight you have given us here. Many thanks for entering today’s competition Nadine and don’t forget to collect your prize from Jean-Claude on your way out, a hemp sack of wonky veg generously offered by today’s sponsor, Tesco.

Comment

"Labour would have won the vote if all their MPs had been present"

This will probably have been a pairing thing? Ie, if more labour mps had been present, so would more tories

Comment

I wouldn't get too excited about this. This is just them firing a shot across Theresa May's bows. They'll vote against the Brexit bill, which will be defeated, and then they will have got everything they will go back to supporting the govt, having achieved their aim of undermining the Good Friday Agreement.
            Inclined to agree with this. They may ultimately break the confidence and supply agreement for real, but this doesn't signal to me they would support a no confidence motion.

Comment

Comment

Is it possible that Labour weren't aware of what the DUP were up to and therefore weren't able to capitalise on the situation? Much is being made of the fact that Cobyn was one of the absent MPs.

Comment

Does look like they fucked it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    I don't think [DUP] will be in too much of a rush to the ballot boxes in the aftermath of a no-deal brexit
                    I doubt they are that worried about the next General Election. Their voters aren't going to swing Nationalist or Alliance and the other Unionist micro-parties are neither in a fit state to challenge them nor really offering anything different. All this despite the criticism from the NI business lobbies and the high likelihood that the RHI Inquiry report in the New Year will force Foster out of the party leadership.

Comment

No chance that the Alliance will get Belfast East back then? Or how about the SDLP regaining Belfast South?

Comment

that's all true, but they might not turn out to vote, or the UUP might put up a candidate to run against Nigel Dodds. Neither he nor Emma Pengelly will be in a mad rush to face the electors again.

Comment

McDonnell says that if May is brought down, the Government steps aside and lets the Opposition try to form a government. We are getting near this apparently.

As Priti Patel would say, we really aren't. Another Tory takes over.

Comment

Tubby, can I introduce you to the concept of politics

Comment

Of course another tory takes over, and of course labour wants to stoke a sense of chaos and illegitimacy of any incoming tory pm.

Comment

Supreme Court won't stop block ECJ ruling on Article 50 revocation.

Comment

Going back upthread, mrs thatcher myst have loved being interviewed by Robin Day, him being one of the few human beings alive so arrogant and haughty that she could look like the reasonable one in the room. Anyway, Bwyan Walden made her cry in an interview, amd that was on ITV.

Tories under thatcher never got nearly as arsey anout grillings from bbc political correspondents (often pre-vetted by mi5 as we know), as they did when Nationwide allowed that caller on the air who floored thatcher by knowing her stuff about the belgrano. Even though that made zero impact electorally.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                                    No chance that the Alliance will get Belfast East back then?
                                    Very little. Too many Unionist voters think Alliance is too close to Nationalism.

Or how about the SDLP regaining Belfast South?
                                    Rather less. The SDLP looks likely to dissolve itself quite soon.

Originally posted by Berba
                                    but they might not turn out to vote
                                    Fear of a Fenian Planet will be used to remind them.

or the UUP might put up a candidate to run against Nigel Dodds
                                    Why would they do that? The UUP are so weak Doddsy would likely still win, with a slight possibility that SF sneak in.

Neither he nor Emma Pengelly will be in a mad rush to face the electors again
                                    Dodds isn't bothered. He and MEP wife Diane are planning retirement anyway. Little Pengelly fair enough, but she knows she's lucky to be there (Belfast South is much less Unionist than it was), and in any case I doubt she has much clout in the party.
                                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 20-11-2018, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                      Of course another tory takes over, and of course labour wants to stoke a sense of chaos and illegitimacy of any incoming tory pm.
                                      I dunno. Just seemed to me the big talk was substituting for a proper policy leave policy (EEA).

It seems so unnecessary. Corbyn, whatever his faults, has no problem with freedom of movement and talks like he gets the "market" stuff now. Even I am glad he's leader and not someone like Burnham who'd have gone Kipper on immigration.

But he's got boxed by fear of Brexit pensioners, or more likely persuaded to be boxed in by McDonnell. There are some Flint type boneheads on the backbenches and some have small majorities. To whom the answer is "welcome to test match cricket".

Comment

I saw something today with Labour talking about a Single Market relationship, as opposed to the Tory nonsense. Without freedom of movement, it's gateau talk.

I don't doubt that Corbyn as PM would have been way better in the negotiations. He'd have got to where the government are much quicker, and would have then probably fronted up with the public that we were fucked without freedom of movement, and we'd have got there.

But as opposition, it's not really working.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                          I dunno. Just seemed to me the big talk was substituting for a proper policy leave policy (EEA).

It seems so unnecessary. Corbyn, whatever his faults, has no problem with freedom of movement and talks like he gets the "market" stuff now. Even I am glad he's leader and not someone like Burnham who'd have gone Kipper on immigration.

But he's got boxed by fear of Brexit pensioners, or more likely persuaded to be boxed in by McDonnell. There are some Flint type boneheads on the backbenches and some have small majorities. To whom the answer is "welcome to test match cricket".
                                          And with perfect timing, Barnier tweets from the EEA Council - if the EU had agreed to admit the UK as an independent member, it would have solved most of the Border issues, and would still have enabled bilateral arrangements on customs.

http://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1064869237834031104

Comment

http://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1064867435516518400

Comment

What is going on with that picture?

Comment

Corbyn Better Suited to Government than Opposition. I'm not sure I meant to say that up there. There's a niche for me in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  And with perfect timing, Barnier tweets from the EEA Council - if the EU had agreed to admit the UK as an independent member, it would have solved most of the Border issues, and would still have enabled bilateral arrangements on customs.

http://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1064869237834031104
                                                  He's try to help us, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                                    Going back to the subject being discussed a couple of pages ago (BBC bias), I thought this was pretty good.
                                                    Faiza Shaheen is great, and I am extremely looking forward to her knocking off IDS next time around.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X