The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Tubbs, those are exclaves, but they are all independent states, whereas they seem to be thinking of a part of one state that is surrounded by one or more others.
    Like that weird bit of Russia between the Baltics and Poland?

Comment

My factory making innovative jam will be an exclave of Northern Ireland, but an enclave in England

I love this idea. I might need a passport to leave my Innovative Jam Factory and go home. If not, the French authorities might parachute all their asylum seekers who're camping out in Calais into my Innovative Jam factory, and they'll be able to disperse within England unchecked.

Also, San Bernardinhault's Innovative Jams will probably not be able to use any UK product in the manufacture of our jams unless they are brought from another enclaved factory, as non-enclaved products won't necessarily pass EU standards. But it's not clear how products will go from one enclaved factory to the next without going through Mainland territory. I suppose we might have a highway, like the one that used to exist to connect West Berlin to the BRD. In fact, we'll have to build a whole network of roads that have checkpoints on them to stop Mainland products tainting our Euro-safe jams.

Comment

The drop in the pound on Thursday morning might have made my rent this month about 15% more expensive. Hope that sorts itself out soon.

Some bloke from a bank or hedge fund or something who was interviewed in the Guardian reckons that come late January the pound will be up to around $1.50 assuming a deal is in place. Why not scrap Brexit and take it up to two dollars? Some of us have got 30+% inflation to deal with here ...

More seriously, is the second referendum thing gaining much ground? Because on Twitter it seems like it might be, but my Twitter is full of people I follow. What does it seem like on the ground? And what do people on here think of it? And has that opinion changed? Until a few months ago I was dead against, but (and again, I've only got what I can read online to go on, really) I'm coming round to the idea. Feels like enough people might be realising what a bloody stupid mistake they made, perhaps.

And if the BBC are going to start factchecking like they did in the tweet Snake put up, that could be a game-changer. Shame they couldn't be arsed with that before.

Comment

A significant number of people pushing the second referendum are pretending to be doing something, while knowing that politically (and logistically) it cannot actually be done. People who wish they could turn the clock back not to before June 2016, but to prior to the 2015 General Election. Those sort of people.

Comment

I think now that the No-deal Hard-right Racist Brexit cat is now more blatantly out of the bag – and the ideologues like Disgraced Former Minister "Dr" Fox are touting it more brazenly - the most practicable line is just about resisting that, standing against that, and going full-on for the Soft option. The second referendum question seems to divide even like-minded people, on tactical as much as political grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              I think now that the No-deal Hard-right Racist Brexit cat is now more blatantly out of the bag – and the ideologues like Disgraced Former Minister "Dr" Fox are touting it more brazenly - the most practicable line is just about resisting that, standing against that, and going full-on for the Soft option. The second referendum question seems to divide even like-minded people, on tactical as much as political grounds.
              Why the scare quotes around "Dr"?

He is a doctor, isn't he?

(Or is it like chartered accountancy where you've got to re-qualify every few years?)

Comment

True. Just want to discredit and insult him in whatever way possible really. The cunt. (No scare quotes needed around that one)

Comment

I think there's some kind of convention where if you don't practice for three years or so, you don't get to use the honorific. Unless you're a disgraced current Cabinet minister.

Comment

I don't know, I think the amount of momentum towards a second referendum has been steadily growing. Everybody who isn't a Hard Brexiter loony thinks negotiations are going terribly, which is more than half of Leavers, and the prospect of food and medicine shortages in a no-deal Brexit are beginning to be understood. May is restarting Chequers II: Electric Boogaloo next month, and I wonder if it just provides the out that most people want. Throw it back to the voters and say, er, tell us what you want again. In which case, Remain almost certainly wins.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                      I think there's some kind of convention where if you don't practice for three years or so, you don't get to use the honorific. Unless you're a disgraced current Cabinet minister.

Didn't "Doctor Death" keep the honorific though, or did everyone else just use it to describe him?

Comment

My Uncle Ollie certainly did.

Comment

Anyone interested in what Alan Brazil thinks? Got his views on TalkSport this morning. "It's going to be a no deal Brexit. But we'll be ok."

Given the source it's fairly safe to say that means WE ARE FUCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                            I don't know, I think the amount of momentum towards a second referendum has been steadily growing. Everybody who isn't a Hard Brexiter loony thinks negotiations are going terribly, which is more than half of Leavers, and the prospect of food and medicine shortages in a no-deal Brexit are beginning to be understood. May is restarting Chequers II: Electric Boogaloo next month, and I wonder if it just provides the out that most people want. Throw it back to the voters and say, er, tell us what you want again. In which case, Remain almost certainly wins.
                            Genuinely, I wish I shared your optimism, both about when/how the vote could happen, and that Remain would win.

Comment

I agree with you, John.

What can be done by Labour much more, I think, is leveraging some of the "final say" support against Hard Tory Brexit. I think it's reasonably safe to say that the majority for that has gone.

Comment

Shadwell Town latest match report.

Matthew Goodwin
                                @GoodwinMJ
                                16h16 hours ago
                                More
                                New report on #London

-Number of jobs reaches all time high
                                -Unemployment nears record low
                                -Business confidence up
                                -Wage growth & productivity remain (long-term) challenges
                                -But London ... "remains buoyant despite Brexit"

The Centre for London
                                I thought Goodwin's schtick was that we bother too much about London in politics? Shouldn't he be posting "Rhondda Cynon Taf economy surges" and similar?

The report covers up the end of the first quarter on this year. That's only a year after Article 50 and before people really started worrying about No Deal.
                                Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 09-08-2018, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bretwalda View Post
                                  Didn't "Doctor Death" keep the honorific though, or did everyone else just use it to describe him?
                                  It was part of his ring name.

Comment

What can be done by Labour much more, I think, is leveraging some of the "final say" support against Hard Tory Brexit. I think it's reasonably safe to say that the majority for that has gone.
                                    We're approaching the same page at last. I was at an informal local Labour left/Momentum meeting last night where I proposed our Brexit stance be precisely that (though I threw in the word "racist" before hard Brexit for added effect, and cos it is), and no one dissented.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                      Genuinely, I wish I shared your optimism, both about when/how the vote could happen, and that Remain would win.
                                      Oh, I think Remain will win. And if Justine Greening's idea is adopted, which it should, it won't be close.

I'm less optimistic it will happen, but I think the chances of it happening are increasing. Tories be talking about it. She has no majority for any sort of Brexit. She has to be getting an earful from the bosses and the money men by now.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                        We're approaching the same page at last. I was at an informal local Labour left/Momentum meeting last night where I proposed our Brexit stance be precisely that (though I threw in the word "racist" before hard Brexit for added effect, and cos it is), and no one dissented.
                                        Good work.

Comment

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...uirements.html

Comment

I thought Brexit means Brexit?

Comment

Why would it matter? They'll all be going to Clacton or Weston-Super-Mare anyway won't they?

Comment

6 quid isn't bad.

Comment

important thread here

https://twitter.com/lukecooper100/status/1027916239073669120

Comment

Quite heartening to see No Deal falling back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X