No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BBC is socially liberal and economically liberal, as far as I can see. So, on balance, right wing.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
      Thanks Lucy. Not working for but just observing them, it always seems to me that the BBC is broadly culturally and institionally 'left', whereas its news/current affairs output/viewpoint is very 'right'. Fwiw, I don't just think its Kuennsberg, it's also Neil, Humphreys, Robinson, Dimbleby, the Editors, etc.
      Their bias is such that, when people call them out on it, they respond by taking the piss.
      https://twitter.com/RegencyLabour/st...02346154332160

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
        The BBC is socially liberal and economically liberal, as far as I can see. So, on balance, right wing.
        Like the Democrats and New Labour

Comment

I think I've gone over to the full on Stop Brexit side now. Even the proper soft Brexit will lead to enough of a write down to bring (genuine) economic anxiety that'll probably help nationalist goons push the rest of the way to oblivion.

I don't underestimate the practical difficulties for any mainstream politician having to get us out of this shit.

Comment

Looks like UKIP are back:

Lab 40% (-)
            Con 36% (-6)
            UKIP 8% (+5)
            Lib Dem 8% (+1)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

Comment

Further proof that these polls don't mean shit.

Comment

The seat projection, for what it's worth:

Lab 300 (+38)
                Con 267 (-51)
                SNP 42 (+7)
                Lib Dem 19 (+7)
                Plaid 3 (-1)
                Green 1
                NI 18

Comment

Nick Cohen is obviously more often to wrong than right these days, but this is good (despite the by now standard non sequitur paragraph about the "Marxist" Labour Party)
                  https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/0...lot-on-brexit/

Comment

I was going to post that with an identical comment.

I imagine that it’s relative coherence is due to a different editor and his writing for a different audience.

Comment

Old Labour "intellectual" left Eurosceptic, Bryan Gould.

http://www.bryangould.com/what-brexit-is-really-about/

In which he asserts that Britain's EU deal was "very bad" and good for France and Germany- which is an odd reading of the economic performance of Britain and France in the EU. And that working people had their "employment prospects" messed up by Eastern European immigrants, as well as access to housing and public services, apparently. No evidence is provided for these assertions at all.

Of all the political and media actors, he hones in on "bien pensants" associated with The Guardian who want to overturn the referendum result. Brussels is "punishing" Britain, but Brexit is an "opportunity" provided "hearts and minds are big enough". Not the slightest hint of a plan.

You won't get a better example of Lexitism being the mirror image of Rees Mogg Brexit.

How much of service Neil Kinnock did marginalizing this sort of nonsense in Labour.

Comment

From the Mail, so I'll spare you the link.

My deal is the only Brexit deal - wreck it at your peril: THERESA MAY's steely warning to Tory rebels AND those bully boys from Brussels

Our Brexit deal for Britain seizes the moment to deliver the democratic decision of the British people and secure a bright new future for our country outside the European Union.

It restores our national sovereignty, so that it is our Government that decides who comes into our country, our Parliaments that make our laws and our courts that enforce them.

It puts an end to the vast membership subscriptions we pay to Brussels, delivering a Brexit dividend to support domestic priorities like our long-term plan for the NHS.
                        Unbelievable.

Comment

More from Austin "character" Mitchell.

Austin Mitchell
                          ‏@AVMitchell2010
                          Follow Follow @AVMitchell2010
                          More
                          Why is British business so keen to stay in the single market when it runs a deficit of £96nbillion in traded goods with it? Are they masochists or just mad ?
                          6:31 am - 14 Jul 2018
                          Yeah, proper mystery, Austin. It's almost like trade isn't a Trumpian zero sum game or something. Shall we withdraw from all trade deals where we have a deficit?

Hot take from Austin on people protesting Trump too.

Austin Mitchell
                          ‏@AVMitchell2010
                          Follow Follow @AVMitchell2010
                          More
                          Trafalgar Square rally is a twofer,possibly a threefer :Protest against Trump and for the EU at the same time and cock a snook at those Brits who voted Brexit as well . A festival of virtue!
                          Go and join the alt-right.

Comment

New ComRes poll:

No deal: 39% (51% Con, 26% Lab)
                            Chequers 20%

Which would appear to leave "No opinion" on 41%.

Extension to A50: 25% (36% Lab, 16% Con)

Comment

So spake Dan Hannan.

Since when was Argentine beef banned in the EU?

Comment

Wasn’t Gould one of the architects of New Labour?

Or am I confusing him with someone else. (Moved to New Zealand and, er, come to think of it, died. So I must be.)

Comment

Yeah, that bloke was Philip Gould.

Comment

Justine Greening has called for a second referendum. Can't tell on what exactly.

Comment

Bryan Gould was the guy who went (back) to NZL afterlosing to John Smith in the 1992 Labour leaxership election. He got about 9%

Comment

Ta. Damn them for confusing me with the same surnames.

Comment

The Tories won't call an election voluntarily with the economy sinking.

Comment

They called the last one with wages falling. Bad idea.

Another obscure PPS has resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              Old Labour "intellectual" left Eurosceptic, Bryan Gould.

http://www.bryangould.com/what-brexit-is-really-about/

In which he asserts that Britain's EU deal was "very bad" and good for France and Germany- which is an odd reading of the economic performance of Britain and France in the EU. And that working people had their "employment prospects" messed up by Eastern European immigrants, as well as access to housing and public services, apparently. No evidence is provided for these assertions at all.

Of all the political and media actors, he hones in on "bien pensants" associated with The Guardian who want to overturn the referendum result. Brussels is "punishing" Britain, but Brexit is an "opportunity" provided "hearts and minds are big enough". Not the slightest hint of a plan.

You won't get a better example of Lexitism being the mirror image of Rees Mogg Brexit.

How much of service Neil Kinnock did marginalizing this sort of nonsense in Labour.
                                              To be fair to him, born-and-bred Kiwi Bryan Gould reveals his motivations on several occasions: The EU was bad because it was bad for New Zealand. Preferential markets, traditional trading partners, that's all code for UnZid.

Comment

Justine Greening has called for a second referendum. Can't tell on what exactly.
                                                Tripartite vote - Deal v No Deal v Remain. Presumably run on French runoff basis.

Comment

They called the last one with wages falling. Bad idea.

Another obscure PPS has resigned.
                                                  Wasn't this for being sincerely sorry for a sustained campaign of sexual harassment?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                    To be fair to him, born-and-bred Kiwi Bryan Gould reveals his motivations on several occasions: The EU was bad because it was bad for New Zealand. Preferential markets, traditional trading partners, that's all code for UnZid.
                                                    That might be where he's coming from, I hadn't thought about that.

Diable, cheers. I'll go for that. But I'm not ashamed to admit it's a bit harder for the Leader of the Opposition.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X