No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

longeared wrote:
    Originally posted by Guy Profumo
    Originally posted by Kowalski
    The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.
    That's nowt.

The people who live by Tata Steel in Stocksbridge vote Kipper.
    South Yorkshire gets shitloads of EU money and it's not hidden either, there's always big boards going up by new roads saying "Paid for by EU funding" or similar. Yet parts of the area voted 70% or more to leave.

I'm reminded of when the BBC went interviewing the Barnsley public the day after the referendum. They asked one woman "Did you know that the area receives lots of funding from the EU?" The response came "Ooh...oh...no, I didn't know that. But I'm glad we voted out"
    See also Blaenau Gwent. One talking head opined that she didn't want the area getting "like England" with immigration everywhere.

Nearest bits of England are Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.

Comment

I can see her point...

Comment

In contrast to their attitude to Scotland, the UK government are ushering NI towards the exit door.

Comment

WOM wrote:
          It's funny; you assume people are going to vote in their own best interest, but many people seem to not know exactly what their best interest is.
          Yeah but the British electorate, like certain others, are full of morons.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Interesting piece by Gideon Rachman in the FT, suggesting that a defective grasp of history amongst British people generally and British politicians in particular (namely the myth that Britain an ex-"great trading nation" rather than an ex-imperial nation) is behind a lot of self-delusion about Britain's post-Brexit prospects in the global trade deal-making arena.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3e32b38-0fc8-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d
            In the end, every society rises or falls by how many patent lies it comes to believe about itself. Britain has been swallowing its own lies for 100 years and more, and Brexit is the fools errand. Trump is the truth of the US's lies about itself and so on.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
              Originally posted by longeared
              Originally posted by Kowalski
              The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.
              That's nowt.

South Yorkshire gets shitloads of EU money and it's not hidden either, there's always big boards going up by new roads saying "Paid for by EU funding" or similar. Yet parts of the area voted 70% or more to leave.

I'm reminded of when the BBC went interviewing the Barnsley public the day after the referendum. They asked one woman "Did you know that the area receives lots of funding from the EU?" The response came "Ooh...oh...no, I didn't know that. But I'm glad we voted out"
              See also Blaenau Gwent. One talking head opined that she didn't want the area getting "like England" with immigration everywhere.

Nearest bits of England are Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.
              There have been major security alerts and arrests of Islamist terrorists in Gloucester and Hereford Tesco was the first one I saw with a Polish section. It's not as anglo saxon as you think out in the counties.

Comment

Fruit growing is a significant part of Herefordshires economy, and relies on a large immigrant workforce to pick it.

Comment

The renowned Herefordshire Pineapple Moors.

Comment

Don't laugh.Dundee is the home of the UK's innovative jams

Comment

The Daily mail wasn't always so hard on europe.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Fruit growing is a significant part of Herefordshires economy, and relies on a large immigrant workforce to pick it.
                        Yeah, but they hang around outside Ledbury Tesco's. The people have had enough.

Comment

Is Cleggers doing a Newsnight John Harris sans Haircut thing, or is it a one off special going Among the Welsh? Imagine when Big News casting its rheummy eye on The Provinces actually utilised the regional reporting network. Instead we get a Westminster Schoolboy without the Theroux charm getting some natives to speak their brains. Like a fucking anthropology study.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: It boggles the mind that Airbus manufacturing would remain in the UK post-Brexit. The whole point of Airbus is to have an EU counterweight to the US aerospace industry and it's a massively political enterprise (literally, in that a quarter of it is owned by European governments or their offshoots).
                            There's a lot of aircraft expertise in the UK. The wings for all the Airbus aircraft are made in the UK, and wings are fairly important as far as aircraft go. I can't see those facilities moving outside the UK anytime soon.

Comment

A mate of my maw has a son fairly high up in the wing making engineering gig. He is blasé blasé about Brexit, can't see any chance of having to speak German and uproot from Hollyoaks country (well, what kind of aspirational Tory would live in N Wales?). Now, he is a bland bastard, one of those kids make you a whole person fannies, but I can see massive compo from Herself for whatever inconveniences Brexit gives for Airbus over and above the skills lost by sudden closure.

Comment

Forgive Nick Clegg everything, he's paid his dues.. He's on telly in Ebbw Vale having to listen to older Brexiters. One woman was OK with immigrants who work at the hospital but didn't like "Romanians". Another wanted their country back, but "I know it won't come back". Most depressing was a bloke who clearly wasn't stupid or nasty, but asserted with complete confidence that immigrants took jobs and reduced wages.

Clegg sensibly cleared off to meet some young people who were far better.

Comment

And next up on telly- it's Marine Le Pen citing Brexit as part of her ideas winning across the world, along with Trump and Putin.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Another wanted their country back, but "I know it won't come back".
                                    I doubt I'm alone in feeling like I know just what this person means.

Comment

Happy Brexit day!

How does it feel to have your freedom back? I'm still stuck festering in the eUSSR dictatorship and can only imagine what the sweet smell of liberation must smell like. It took me two hours to cut all the red tape from my front door entrance to actually get out my house and it took me three hours to get to work falling over migrants and diktats.

Make sure you buy bendy bananas today in celebration, get your market trader to weigh them in pounds and ounces and if someone can pick me up a Liam Fox commemoration mug I will send you the money plus post and packaging.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Happy Brexit day!

How does it feel to have your freedom back? I'm still stuck festering in the eUSSR dictatorship and can only imagine what the sweet smell of liberation must smell like. It took me two hours to cut all the red tape from my front door entrance to actually get out my house and it took me three hours to get to work falling over migrants and diktats.

Make sure you buy bendy bananas today in celebration, get your market trader to weigh them in pounds and ounces and if someone can pick me up a Liam Fox commemoration mug I will send you the money plus post and packaging.
                                        We're all too busy flogging Justice for Marine 'A' commemorative mugs and tees from our barrow stalls at the moment to worry about trivia

Comment

I'm feeling really sovereign today.

Comment

With the smell of victory - which is somewhat akin to that of the vegetables I put to boil a while ago for tonight's supper - pervading my nostrils, I am writing a stiff letter to the manufacturers of Camp Coffee (it is if we say it is) asking them to reinstate the traditional label design, upon which there is no doubt as to who is the master and who the grateful subordinate.

Must remember to move that rake off the garden path before someone st......OUCHH, what bally fool left that there after I had finished using it yesterday anyway?

Comment

LSE / Deutsche Borse deal blocked by EU.

(Though the creation of a "de facto monopoly" may have more to do with it than Brexit)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39430799

Comment

Arthur Scargill thinks Brexit is great and coal mines are going to reopen.

I want to play him at cards for money.

Comment

I'm feeling a wee bit shite and blue today (mostly sleep deprivation, but Brexit ain't helping) and that made me laugh, Tubby. Deliciously catty.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Forgive Nick Clegg everything, he's paid his dues.. He's on telly in Ebbw Vale having to listen to older Brexiters. One woman was OK with immigrants who work at the hospital but didn't like "Romanians". Another wanted their country back, but "I know it won't come back". Most depressing was a bloke who clearly wasn't stupid or nasty, but asserted with complete confidence that immigrants took jobs and reduced wages.
                                                    Did he not disagree with them? That's what a politician might be expected to do.

As I've mentioned before, I don't forgive Clegg anything. It was partly his and his party's support for austerity, alongside their wilful misreading of the causes of, and possible solutions for, the economic crash - and the alienation and devastation that were the outcomes - that left some, maybe enough to turn the referendum, voting Out. To be fair, it is one of the great political turnarounds that they're not seen as responsible for this shitfest, whilst Corbyn (who supported none of the austerity that contributed to it) is - which is largely down to the latter not forcefully pinning the blame on the Lib fucking Dems and their shitty duplicity strongly enough. Blimey, they wind me up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X