No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not keen on that word. I also had no idea she was that old. I would have said mid fifties at the oldest.

Comment

She once reminisced about watching George Best and Pat Jennings' debut for NI sitting on her Da's shoulders at Windsor Park. This was in 1963, so she'd have been 17 or 18

Comment

Customs Union it is. Well done Labour.

Comment

Well, not really. Starmer still says we'll be negotiating free trade deals. So it's the same cake and eat it position as before, basically.

Comment

I only read the headline. I'm hoping it reflects the spin and a change of emphasis.

Comment

It will do in due course. But only when Brexit fails.

Comment

How far into the Uk's tentative Free trade deals with China and India will the UK get before the Opium Wars and the Bengal famine make their first appearances?

Comment

Frank Field should stop saying that the EU accounts aren't audited. that's simply not true,

Comment

Funtime Frankie?

That's mild by his standards.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      How far into the Uk's tentative Free trade deals with China and India will the UK get before the Opium Wars and the Bengal famine make their first appearances?
                      Probably further than "more visas, or fuck off".

Comment

We won't be making new trade deals. Apparently we will be "striking" them.

The 'Brexiteer" lexicon is a wonder. The way the media lap up and regurgitate this shit is embarrassing.

Comment

Duppy is a ghost in Jamaican folk culture so DUP-y can lend itself to some old Jamaican tunes: DUP-y Conqueror, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yy29XUsceU

Comment

Obviously, being able to make trade deals is a positive, and I can see why Labour are still talking about doing them. But how many Labour leavers are bothered about them? How many of them worry about the EU being too protectionist?

I don't think there's much risk in saying they're not worried about trade deals at all.

Comment

Labour don't seem to be that interested in doing trade deals. Starmer made the solid point that he sees no evidence that the UK would be better at negotiating trade deals than the EU, and this should be screamingly obvious to people. Liam Fox is probably learning all about post colonial resentment, if he is indeed capable of learning about anything at all. The EU on the other hand is the 800lb gorilla of trade negotiations.

Meanwhile another example of Ireland trying to loot the brexit corpse before the body has expired.

Comment

Cunts be fucking up my future rent. It’ll be Balbriggan or the streets if we don’t get the soggiest of untumescent Brexits keeping the Richers from flocking en masse here and making fucking Crumlin into Hackney with pebble dash semis. Or you know, a massive social housing construction force by Fucking Leo? Prob not, so rental Hell awaits for the next few years. Rentier vote more, the bastards. Registering your vote in Dublin if a Culchie student seems something beyond almost every fucker I’ve ever met here. Some folk still on their Ma’s gaff’s voting roll twenty years from moving out. Fine if you want to vote in Mike Lowry land.
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-02-2018, 22:16.

Comment

What the hell is a chukchi?

i find it amusing that Brexit is going to force all those murdoch channels to move to the EU. I love the idea of GNev building a tellytubby house in dunshaughlin.

Comment

Culchies after three staropramens. Since edited by Amor de Cosmos.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I never registered to vote in Dublin. I'm registered here in Galway though.

Comment

Part of the problem, man.

Comment

Not really. dennis Landy needed my vote more than Ruairi Quinn.

This is a good article by Fintan O'Toole.

Comment

Well, after that speech, I still have no idea how Labour sees this hypothetical customs-union-but-also-free-trade-treaties working. It's very clearly cake and eat it.

Comment

Isn't it about a putting pressure on the Conservatices) b indicating to the EU the areas they want to negotiate or receive enough reassurances to fudge on- like state funding for nationalisation?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                Well, after that speech, I still have no idea how Labour sees this hypothetical customs-union-but-also-free-trade-treaties working. It's very clearly cake and eat it.
                                                I still think they would have had a heads-up after the conversations with Barnier etc. I don't think this was about detail, he has no need to do that at the mo, just lay out the general direction.

I think that the whole speech was overhyped anyway; not much of a shift - if any - from the manifesto, just a bit more context.

Comment

I mean, if it paves the way for Labour to *shock* vote against the government, then great, but it's not a policy.

Comment

Cake and eat it at this stage makes the government look relatively honest about leaving the Customs Union. They'll tell Labour they have to make up their minds. I wonder if Tory rebels will vote with Labour if aren't clear.

I'd be tempted to abstain as a Labour backbencher until there's a better policy. Defeats of the government probably do look a lot like "thwarting Brexit". They have to be on rock solid policy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X