No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

So when will the UK walk out? I suspect the first hurdle will be the last, i just can't see anyone steering the ship away from full on Brexit madness...

Comment

David Davies said that EU migration would probably continue to rise after brexit under the govts plans to match the needs of the economy. Remind me again what the fucking point of this whole thing was?

Comment

We get to choose which group of people will be needed to come to wipe the arses of racist geriatrics and be pilloried by our press, not the bloody Eurocrats. That's what control looks like. And we've taken it back.

Never mind not holding my manhood cheap. I won't need to hold it, so patriotically priapic it makes me.

Comment

No We're not going to pay for all those bank debts we guaranteed (Govt of Ireland 2011)
          No, we're not going to pay back the money we owe or change our ways. (govt of Greece 2008 -)
          No, We're not going to pay the £50 billion (govt of UK 2017)

I suggest that the UK pays whatever the EU asks.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: David Davies said that EU migration would probably continue to rise after brexit under the govts plans to match the needs of the economy. Remind me again what the fucking point of this whole thing was?
            Demolishing the welfare state and rolling back workers rights in the name of the holy free market.

Comment

Don't forget the sovereignty, which we always had but sometimes it felt like we didn't.

Comment

Looks like someone will have a nice big "Tate & Lyle" post-Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/27/brexit-sugar-beet-cane-tate-lyle-british-sugar

“Despite being home to some of the country’s most ardent leave voters and fertile farmland, the area around Peterborough would be hard hit if extreme free-traders succeed in persuading the government to abandon tariffs on world imports just as they lose tariff-free access to European export markets and agricultural subsidies.”

Comment

The Government's Unofficial Spokesperson, Laura Kuenssberg, has tweeted that the Brexiteers walked out of the the Brexit Committee meeting when Hilary Benn presented them with a 155 page document about Brexit. It was apparently "too gloomy".

Comment

So they're not concerned that every day two or three CEO's of multinational businesses are arrested at the gates of Downing street for beating up policemen as they demand access to "Those stupid pricks hiding behind this stupid fucking gate." Is that the new Normal?

Comment

Interesting piece by Gideon Rachman in the FT, suggesting that a defective grasp of history amongst British people generally and British politicians in particular (namely the myth that Britain an ex-"great trading nation" rather than an ex-imperial nation) is behind a lot of self-delusion about Britain's post-Brexit prospects in the global trade deal-making arena.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3e32b38-0fc8-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: The Government's Unofficial Spokesperson, Laura Kuenssberg, has tweeted that the Brexiteers walked out of the the Brexit Committee meeting when Hilary Benn presented them with a 155 page document about Brexit. It was apparently "too gloomy".
                        Nil Satis Nisi Optimism.

Comment

Hurray!!!

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Interesting piece by Gideon Rachman in the FT, suggesting that a defective grasp of history amongst British people generally and British politicians in particular (namely the myth that Britain an ex-"great trading nation" rather than an ex-imperial nation) is behind a lot of self-delusion about Britain's post-Brexit prospects in the global trade deal-making arena.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3e32b38-0fc8-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d
                            That's a nicely written article, but it should have been kept hidden until johnson and fox were sent to china for trade talks around remembrance sunday

Comment

The European Parliament is already playing hardball, rightly taking a firm stance on the proposed immigration cut-off date of tomorrow.

Comment

If the UK restricts free movement of labour, it shouldn't expect its capital to get an easy ride.

btw why is the formatting of posts in this thread so fucked, with the top line of each post obscured?

Comment

On mobile? Because the style sheet is buggered.

Comment

I'm getting it on desktop too.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.
                                      Not all of them, though, obvs.

If Aerospace in Broughton goes the way of Europe, there are very few jobs left in the area. My daughter was discussing her GCSE options in school last week. She said she wanted to focus on science subjects, as she wants to study medicine. The teacher said ''Yes - science. That will put you in a good position for a job at Aerospace. '' What the fuck are they going to tell the kids when the factory disappears eastwards?

Comment

Kowalski wrote: The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.
                                        That's nowt.

The people who live by Tata Steel in Stocksbridge vote Kipper.

Comment

This particular formatting error occurs when the number of characters in the thread title plus the poster's screen name forces a second line for the gray box at the top of the post.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: The people who live by Tata Steel in Stocksbridge vote Kipper.
                                            It's funny; you assume people are going to vote in their own best interest, but many people seem to not know exactly what their best interest is.

Comment

It boggles the mind that Airbus manufacturing would remain in the UK post-Brexit. The whole point of Airbus is to have an EU counterweight to the US aerospace industry and it's a massively political enterprise (literally, in that a quarter of it is owned by European governments or their offshoots).

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Kowalski
                                                The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

That's nowt.

So did Neath-Port Talbot. Then again quite a few of its workforce will travel a fair distance to work rather than live nearby.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Kowalski
                                                  The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

That's nowt.

South Yorkshire gets shitloads of EU money and it's not hidden either, there's always big boards going up by new roads saying "Paid for by EU funding" or similar. Yet parts of the area voted 70% or more to leave.

I'm reminded of when the BBC went interviewing the Barnsley public the day after the referendum. They asked one woman "Did you know that the area receives lots of funding from the EU?" The response came "Ooh...oh...no, I didn't know that. But I'm glad we voted out"

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: No We're not going to pay for all those bank debts we guaranteed (Govt of Ireland 2011)
                                                    No, we're not going to pay back the money we owe or change our ways. (govt of Greece 2008 -)
                                                    No, We're not going to pay the £50 billion (govt of UK 2017)

I suggest that the UK pays whatever the EU asks.
                                                    We'll probably call an Alex Tsipras referendum. How can the EU refuse a mandate like that?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X