No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

One positive sign is that farmers get really done over by WTO tariffs. Tories listen to farmers.

Comment

Talking of farming.

A Ukip Welsh Assembly Member says rural communities must not lose out as a result of Brexit and access to the European single market is a "critical priority" once Britain leaves.

Mark Reckless is chairman of the Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee, which has been looking at the potential impact leaving the EU will have on the sector.
      Cameron had 10 years to tell these fools to grow up.

Coming soon: Mark Reckless looks at a proposed trade deal with New Zealand and decides it could be bad for Welsh farmers.

Comment

Haha feck the kipper assembly pricks and fermers having buyers remorse. Eat the naked lunch at the end of your fork. This is what you wanted.

Comment

Also worried about their "Polish" workers.

Comment

Yes to goodies, no to smelly brown people.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Talking of farming.

A Ukip Welsh Assembly Member says rural communities must not lose out as a result of Brexit and access to the European single market is a "critical priority" once Britain leaves.

Mark Reckless is chairman of the Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee, which has been looking at the potential impact leaving the EU will have on the sector.
              Cameron had 10 years to tell these fools to grow up.

Coming soon: Mark Reckless looks at a proposed trade deal with New Zealand and decides it could be bad for Welsh farmers.
              I'n not sure why it would be. welsh farmers are well exposed to the New zealand sheep industry. the UK imports huge amounts of new Zealand lamb. The Uk produces huge amounts of lamb, and indeed would almost be self sufficient but a) they all appear at the same time of the year b) they only want to eat the legs, and chops. So the UK has to import huge amounts of lamb out of season, and exports some of the glut, but also parts of every carcass to the middle east and beyond.

Comment

I see that in response to Brexit and fears over losing a large part of their workforce Pret A Manger are about to offer 16-18 year olds the chance of work experience. Unpaid of course, how fucking generous of them.

Edit: after criticism Pret have reluctantly announced they will be paid. Don't bother to thank me 16-18 year olds, but quake in terror at the power of my opinions.

Comment

I wonder if catering is going to be another area where employers get assured they'll get who they need. Add to farming, food processing, construction, health, social care, hospitality.

Who were the bad EU workers again? Whoever they are, by keeping them out, we're going to put off a load of people who we want.

Comment

There was a couple of articles in the irish newspapers that were dealing with the distinct possibility that the UK would just walk away without any deal, and how catastrophic that would be. There's serious doubts over here that the Brexiteers are going to eat the triple shit sandwich of The Bill, foreign nationals, and Northern Ireland. The thing is that to the lunatics driving brexit, the UK is facing three fairly massive defeats insofar as the EU is going to say this is how it's going to happen, and the UK is going to be able to negotiate around the edges, but will have to swallow it to move on.

The UK walking away without a deal would be pretty awful for us in the short to medium term, and it would take time for the EU economy to restructure and recover, but the fucking gates of hell would open in the UK. There's also a worry that the UK doesn't seem to understand how the EU is structured, or how it is likely to approach these negotiations. Essentially while brexit may be all consuming in the UK. The EU has lots of other things to think about, and this is quite far down the list of priorities. Secondly they don't understand that the EU is going to ask them what their redlines are, and then basically dictate the rest of the framework based on that, and offer them another huge shit sandwich, which may not be shitty enough for the parliament, or all of the various member states.

The other thing that they don't understand is that they are in no position to make any threats, and doing so really infuriates the EU, and that whatever the UK decides to do vis a vis lower standards or lower taxes, or bizarre financial practices in london, the EU will respond to protect its own interests, and anyone who has any doubts about how far the EU, is prepared to go, or how focused it can be on the medium to long term should look at greece.

Comment

In some ways it's quite comforting when even those tories who it seems OK to like a bit, let their guards down and make themselves look like the out of touch xenophobic throwbacks that you expect them all to be. Step forward Michael Heseltine.

Comment

I find that Just because they have more than a vague understanding of how the EU actually works, it doesn't make them any less awful.

Comment

“If I was German I would be deeply offended,” a Ukip spokesman told the BBC. “I never realised the purpose of Britain’s membership of the EU was to stop German domination of Europe.

there speaks a man completely ignorant of why england did anything at all on the continent over the last 300 years.

Comment

Who could possibly have predicted this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/27/parts-of-uk-that-voted-for-brexit-may-be-hardest-hit-study-finds

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: Who could possibly have predicted this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/27/parts-of-uk-that-voted-for-brexit-may-be-hardest-hit-study-finds
                              lol Wales

Comment

Watch the Welsh Government get the blame.

Comment

I'm really, really trying my hardest to be level-headed and sympathetic about this, but there is still a little, nagging voice in my brain (possibly voiced by Stewart Lee doing his Richard Hammond impersonation) that says "well, fuck them".

It's undoubtedly a character flaw, but it's there.

Comment

The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.

Comment

Don't know why but I've turned on the BBC Question Time Britain After Brexit. How long before I scream at the TV?

Comment

Kowalski wrote: The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

I went on a tour of the Airbus factory next to Bremen airport six weeks ago, when I mentioned the above fact to our tour guide he laughed.

It turns out that Bremen is the next port of call for the wing cases they make in Broughton, it struck me that those wing cases could be made anywhere there's a big enough factory.
                                        See also leave voting Bridgend, with its Ford factory.

Madeleine Moon, the MP, to her credit rebelled on Article 50.

Comment

One factor was that Wales has the oldest population of the 4 UK nations. That's why UKIP and Tories do fairly well.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: The people that live by north Wales' Airbus factory voted leave.

Unfortunately that is true of literally everything that is made in the UK, other than stuff that has that a PDO like melton mowbray pork pies.

Comment

"If Brexit is a disaster, I'll go live somewhere else."

Nigel Farage on LBC, ladies and gentlemen.

Comment

I like the cut of Barnier's jib.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-trade-deal-workers-rights-taxes-warning-michael-barnier-a7651971.html

Brexit: EU's chief negotiator tells Theresa May she won't get a new trade deal if she slashes taxes and rights
                                                A deal depends on 'fair competition and high environmental, social and consumer protection standards' Prime Minister is told
                                                Who could have seen this coming?

Comment

She'll still try slashing taxes and workers' rights but. Nothing else she's done suggests any rationale except appealing to the Tory/possible kipper base.

Comment

Unless she's playing Nixon to China. But I'm not confident of that one.

A few of her backbenchers see the shit we're in. Maybe they'll knock out a stiff letter to the editor of The Times.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/27/tories-theresa-may-brexit-bill-european-union

But she's got lots of muppers like this that don't.

Steve Baker, who chairs the European Research Group of pro-Brexit backbench MPs, said: “The legal position is that there’s no basis on which to compel us to pay any bill. I don’t think there will any great row.”
                                                    We're not paying. Na na na. Oh shit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X