No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I agree with that. I think it's over. Hence the reading up on US immigration law.

Comment

- hypocritical given your own regular stereotyping of Irish people (most recently if trivially when comparing political Unionists/ Prods- not that I'm either, like- to ISIS), just because I mentioned the Irish Language row when criticising SF for closing down local govt

DG, the idea that a group of people that engages in an act of cultural expression is doing so in order to wind another group up, rather than as an act of self expression is very rare, but is very common within one small corner of the European Union. It's only culturally normal in one community, and it has to stop. It's the fucking 21st century. This idea is simply the bastard intellectual orphan of cultural dominance, and that is fucking over. If the last 100 years have taught us anything, it's a fucking stupid idea.

The Idea that Sinn Feiners want to do stuff with the Irish Language because they want to piss off unionists is nuts. There's one of them staying with my mam doing a four month course in folklore and folklore collection in the University satellite campus. (I've avoided going out there because I don't want to talk us out of three months rent in the off season.) It's for the proportion of themselves that are interested in that sort of thing, and it was agreed on a decade ago. it's not up for discussion, and it's not something that the DUP have any fucking business vetoing. In return for agreeing to sign up to being part of the Northern Ireland state for the foreseeable future, they want some sign that their non-rivalrous cultural priorities are valued by this state. If the DUP can't even allow that, then the North has no fucking future.

Nobody in Dublin thinks that the Chinese celebrate their new year in smithfield to piss us off. It's just an excuse for a party. South Armagh people don't play Gaelic football to piss off unionists. They do it because they like it. Much like Monaghan people. That fucking huge orange march in Rossknowlagh is a tourist attraction that needs a substantial police presence, but only to deal with all the cars and buses. They're not doing that to piss us off, and are really fucking clear on that point, it's just something that they like doing, and everyone is invited. But that's not because we're uniquely awesome. That's just how most societies operate in Europe. It's how most of the UK operates.

There's a world of difference between this, and Adam boulton, in that I've paid attention to a lot of things, and thought about this a lot, and chosen my words carefully and am talking about what is perhaps one of the defining traits of a political culture, and how it is the major stumbling bloc to Northern Ireland not being a shithole, dominated by backwards peasant cunts. He on the other hand tried to get out of a load of twitter abuse by accidentally coming out with literally the worst thing he could say under the circumstances.

as for whether I was abusive, I don't think that's necessarily in doubt. The real issue Is "is it appropriate?" well the reason that people hearing the phrase think that the person uttering it is a moron is that what follows is invariably not exactly going to be shakespeare. This is the tweet he followed it up with. (Now bear in mind that this is a senior political correspondent for a major UK media outlet.)

"Some of you Irish" is a specifier without any prejudicial or discriminary intent as in "You Europeans" "You Americans" "You Brits" or "You journalists"

Some people can't help themselves.

Comment

Dear Comrade Banjoculchie

Thank you for your letter, the contents of which are noted.

A period of silence from you would now be welcome.

Yours etc

The Internet

Comment

I thought it was a good post as it goes.

Comment

Hence the reading up on US immigration law.
            Funnily enough, my sister (married to an American) is thinking of upping sticks from New York and heading back here, because they don't want to live under creeping heavily-armed fascism.

Comment

This is the Labour party's position on Brexit according to Jenny Chapman . Listen and weep.

Comment

Fcuk it. Briefly then

1 The point at issue here isn't culture, or domination. It's your Shinner pals deliberately making health, education etc in NI even worse than they were by closing Stormont, to what end? These people are acting the cnut and if you cant see that you are very naive and a bit dim (not moronic, let's not be abusive)

2 What does your Ma's house guests have to do with anything? This isn't about Ira bnb

3 Spare us your tourist cliches. There's no parallel with closing down Stormont. How many times before it sinks in?

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                  I thought it was a good post as it goes
                  It was drivel. He's accusing me of a bias that isn't there, partly because he thought wrongly that I was having a pop at the Irish Language Act, partly as he has a permanent hard on for the DUP and partly that he seems to think that playing a George Formby makes him some World cultural guru

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                    I thought it was a good post as it goes.
                    Me too

Comment

And me.

Don't DUP apologists just hate everyone else, not exactly like them ?

Comment

DG - there can be little doubt that SF is using the ILA and SSM acts and the collapse of Stormont as a Trojan horse towards a unity ref, but the Irish Government has already put them back in their box, and told them to get back to work. That said, the DUP is irrationally blocking a cultural right that is already axiomatic in Scotland and Wales, and woefully behind broader unionism in the promotion of a progressive social agenda. As for Boulton, imagine the uproar if an RTE news anchor referred to "You Brits" and effectively dismissed Brexit on-air as a "kerfuffle"?

Comment

There's no parallel with closing down Stormont.
                          So the DUP bear no responsibility for its closure?

Comment

AH- to save you reading back, Berba accused me/ wider Ulster Unionism (which he seems to think I represent) of a bias similar to ISIS. I know the bar's low and almost anything he says that isn't about mourinho will sound reasonably sensible by comparison but hey. Don't take my word for it that pretty much all non-Nationalist opinion in NI is fed up with SF's antics: you an read it in the papers like I do. That's really all this tangent is about.

Gonzo- make your tiny mind up. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to support UKIP, Tory, DUP or vauxhall Labour?

E10- Indeed, but don't be lazywith that whataboutery. I've spent a lifetime dissing the DUP and haven't stopped

DR- there will clearly be a Language Act soon, either from Westminister or if Stormont re-opens. Foster offered it earlier this year albeit with Ullans included. SF refused of course, but for the umpteenth time I'm less interested in their pettiness than the effect no local govt has on waiting lists and school places. I know how a Language Act works in Scotland btw- there's one sign at Paislig Station and the Buddies (St Mirren) get live time on Alba TV. Big deal
                            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 14-12-2017, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              Not sure I can face it. They sacked 3 people from the frontbench in June who voted for Single Market membership (Andy Slaughter, Ruth Cadbury and Catherine West). West and Slaughter both have good local government experience too. Would have been handy, on Brexit and other stuff.

Chapman's doubtless concerned by her Darlington constituents having voted heavily for Brexit. She needs to see past this.

Comment

Well done, the Mail.

Dominic Grieve has had death threats.

Comment

On the upside, people who really want to kill you are rarely inclined to warn you.

Comment

The UK will remain in Erasmus until "the end of 2020", although given academic years, that surely means May 2021?

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalisl...82579235753984

Comment

I see Owen Smith has proposed holding NI referenda on abortion and same-sex marriage if direct rule persists - well, it's one way to ensure Stormont resumes ...

Comment

Good point made by Simon Wren Lewis about immigration and wages. Instead of asking somebody what the effect of immigration in the abstract is, ask them first about immigration of workers in every line of work except their own. They'll likely think it'll bring them new customers, and higher wages. If you ask them then about immigration of workers in their own line of work as well, they'll likely think "Oh, that's not so good, but there's all this extra work about, so maybe about the same as before". He reckons if you ask them about immigration in the abstract, they think too much of competition for their job and not at all about the extra demand.

Probably wouldn't have swung the Referendum, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                          AH- to save you reading back, Berba accused me/ wider Ulster Unionism (which he seems to think I represent) of a bias similar to ISIS. I know the bar's low and almost anything he says that isn't about mourinho will sound reasonably sensible by comparison but hey. Don't take my word for it that pretty much all non-Nationalist opinion in NI is fed up with SF's antics: you an read it in the papers like I do. That's really all this tangent is about.

Gonzo- make your tiny mind up. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to support UKIP, Tory, DUP or vauxhall Labour?

E10- Indeed, but don't be lazywith that whataboutery. I've spent a lifetime dissing the DUP and haven't stopped

DR- there will clearly be a Language Act soon, either from Westminister or if Stormont re-opens. Foster offered it earlier this year albeit with Ullans included. SF refused of course, but for the umpteenth time I'm less interested in their pettiness than the effect no local govt has on waiting lists and school places. I know how a Language Act works in Scotland btw- there's one sign at Paislig Station and the Buddies (St Mirren) get live time on Alba TV. Big deal
                                          More irrational, paranoid gibberish.
                                          Self-Awareness is not your strong point.

Comment

Hang on, are there two Gonzos??

Comment

Time for bed before I drive pins into my eyes. Why would I turn on Question Time? Who the fuck is that Mockney cunt on the panel? Idiot joy showland. Set the cunt’s jumper on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                Won't play.

RTE would do well to use some of Tubridy's salary to build a website that actually fucking works.

Comment

Same here, broken black page (except for a banner ad for Saoirview, the poor man’s rubbish Freeview Irish equivalent).

Comment

Phase 2 guidelines from the Council:

It calls on the Union negotiator and the United Kingdom to complete the work on all withdrawal issues, including those not yet addressed in the first phase, in conformity with the European Council guidelines of 29 April 2017, to consolidate the results obtained, and to start drafting the relevant parts of the Withdrawal Agreement. It underlines that negotiations in the second phase can only progress as long as all commitments undertaken during the first phase are respected in full and translated faithfully into legal terms as quickly as possible.

2. In the negotiations during the second phase addressing transitional arrangements as well as the overall understanding on the framework for the future relationship the European Council guidelines of 29 April 2017 continue to apply in their entirety and must be respected.

3. As regards transition, the European Council notes the proposal put forward by the United Kingdom for a transition period of around two years, and agrees to negotiate a transition period covering the whole of the EU acquis, while the United Kingdom, as a third country, will no longer participate in or nominate or elect members of the EU institutions, nor participate in the decision-making of the Union bodies, offices and agencies.
                                                    Such transitional arrangements, which will be part of the Withdrawal Agreement, must be in the interest of the Union, clearly defined and precisely limited in time. In order to ensure a level playing field based on the same rules applying throughout the Single Market, changes to the acquis adopted by EU institutions, bodies, offices and agencies will have to apply both in the United Kingdom and the EU. All existing Union regulatory, budgetary, supervisory, judiciary and enforcement instruments and structures will also apply, including the competence of the Court of Justice of the European Union. As the United Kingdom will continue to participate in the Customs Union and the Single Market (with all four freedoms) during the transition, it will have to continue to comply with EU trade policy, to apply EU customs tariff and collect EU customs duties, and to ensure all EU checks are being performed on the border vis-à-vis other third countries.

5. The European Council calls on the Commission to put forward appropriate recommendations to this effect, and on the Council to adopt additional negotiating directives on transitional arrangements in January 2018.

The European Council reconfirms its desire to establish a close partnership between the Union and the United Kingdom. While an agreement on a future relationship can only be finalised and concluded once the United Kingdom has become a third country, the Union will be ready to engage in preliminary and preparatory discussions with the aim of identifying an overall understanding of the framework for the future relationship, once additional guidelines have been adopted to this effect. Such an understanding should be elaborated in a political declaration accompanying and referred to in the Withdrawal Agreement.

7. The Union takes note that the United Kingdom has stated its intention to no longer participate in the Customs Union and the Single Market after the end of the transition period, and the European Council will calibrate its approach as regards trade and economic cooperation in the light of this position so as to ensure a balance of rights and obligations, preserve a level playing field, avoid upsetting existing relations with other third countries, and to respect all other principles set out in its guidelines of 29 April 2017, in particular the need to preserve the integrity and proper functioning of the Single Market.
                                                    The European Council reconfirms its readiness to establish partnerships in areas unrelated to trade and economic cooperation, in particular the fight against terrorism and international crime, as well as security, defence and foreign policy.

9. The European Council will continue to follow the negotiations closely and will adopt additional guidelines in March 2018, in particular as regards the framework for the future relationship. It calls on the United Kingdom to provide further clarity on its position on the framework for the future relationship. The European Council invites the Council (Art. 50) together with the Union negotiator to continue internal preparatory discussions, including on the scope of the framework for the future relationship.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X