No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altho if NI were to be cut loose completely, the government suddenly has a commons majority...

Comment

Anyway, if the DUP cared at all about economic prosperity, they wouldn't be the DUP and this discussion would be raking place under very different premises.

Comment

If NI remained in the single market and customs union it would effectively be tethered to Ireland with the same laws and standards, and there would be a hard border between NI and the rest of the UK. England would have abandoned NI and the government would collapse without DUP support.
        So, win win?

Comment

The moderate Unionists are likely to do what lots of them have always done- move.

Comment

I thought what moderate unionists have done for a century is line up behind the biggest headbangers, albeit with a regretful sigh.

Comment

Some of them vote for Lady Hermon, to be fair.

Comment

Simon Coveney enters the fray:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli....html#comments

Comment

UK aerospace firms are already losing out on business due to the Brexit vote, MPs have heard. As the Press Association reports, Simon Henley, president-elect of the Royal Aeronautical Society, said companies are being stopped from bidding for contracts as part of the Galileo satellite programme because it is funded by the European Union.
                  Satellites, boring old industry, not like exporting jam.

Comment

“There are a lot of things that Britain aspires to, in the context of Brexit, which I don’t believe to be compatible with the realities of the situation we’re facing.”

More used to being Father dougal, Simon coveney Has to take on the role of Father ted

Comment

Net borrowing was 8 billion pounds ($10.6 billion) compared with 7.5 billion pounds a year earlier, the Office for National Statistics said Tuesday. Economists had expected it to narrow to 7.1 billion pounds, the median estimate in a Bloomberg survey showed.

Debt costs jumped 25 percent from a year earlier, the most for the month since 2007, to 6 billion pounds as rising prices made servicing index-linked bonds more expensive.
                      OK, dumb question time. Is this just bad reporting? How can economists be surprised about index linked bond payments in October? Not only was the inflation data published by now, the bond payments have been made long ago and the fixes published. Can't they just add them up?

Comment

Perhaps a broad survey that included many who have no clue as to the composition of the portfolio?

I’ve always found economists to be extremely eager to give their professional opinion on things they know frightfully little about.

Comment

Seems like if your job involves analysing net borrowing, it might be an idea to look at the actual debt payments and issues.

Comment

The OBR already had debt interest payments this year rising from £48.7bn to £55.8bn.

Comment

Sir Edward Leigh, today.

There's been a cosy consensus so far in this debate that everything about European human rights is wonderful and we want to transfer it into our own law.

Actually, many of us think that the advancement of European so-called human rights has been at the detriment of the rights of other people, particularly religious people, to find their own space.

When we retain or regain Parliamentary sovereignty in this House and through our democracy we can start asserting the right to real human rights.
                              Sure, there's a certain amount of understanding among the loons that they need to be a bit careful at the moment. But there's not going to be a "consensus" when the stopper is properly out.

It can't be stopped, but something like EFTA can keep us in the mainstream. As I always say, where are Labour?

Comment

An unhinged, unhindered race to the bottom.

Christ, I want off this shitty little island.

Comment

Arlene Foster is evil. I fucking hate her I hate her redneck bigots and stupid fucking farmers party. Ireland should be working with Westminster to find solutions to Brexit? We’ve fucking told them what the solution is Eyebrows. Corrupt to her big slab fingerprints, representative of Prods only. What a leader.

The worst thing is her attacks on the Irish Govt today make me side with Leo and the Merchant Prince. I feel dirty.

Comment

I'm so English, I always expect us to beat Ireland 3-0 at football, but I was siding with Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      The minute Scotland declares independence (probably somewhere around my 98th birthday), it should switch to right hand drive in one go like the Swedes did in the 50s. And have the roadsigns only in Gaelic, just to drive the Scotsman letter page writers to apoplexy.
                                      Too right. I used to drive my Renault 4 (4L) on the right in my first automotive forays on these hallowed shores in the 80's, great fun.

Comment

Boris Johnson has, on balance, been a:

Good Foreign Secretary 22%
                                        Bad Foreign Secretary 46%
                                        Neither 23%

What do the remaining 9% think, then?

Comment

Too busy licking a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                            Satellites, boring old industry, not like exporting jam.
                                            "Innovative jam" if you please, not any old jam.

And don’t forget the tea & bikkies you unpatriotic philistine, also "at the heart of Britain’s Brexit trade negotiations".

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that some vital components of British tea may actually be imported.

Comment

Can't link, but:

The Sports Minister Tracey Crouch thinks people have had enough of the "daily commentary" on the UK's EU departure.

She tells HuffPost UK people urge her in the street to "ask the BBC to stop reporting on Brexit".

"They want us to do it, they want us to get on with it. I'm not sure they necessarily want the daily commentary on it," she says.

With this in mind, she recently wrote her weekly newspaper column on The Great British Bake Off instead.
                                                "The only Brexit they care about is getting the bread out of the oven in time," it said.

A government minister.

Comment

It’s getting very hard not to wish for a horrible prolonged agonising end for the 52% pricks. Stupid fuckers are probably lapping up that kind of ra ra head in sand bollocks.

Comment

Maybe Arlene would care to explain what her border solution is?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X