Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio silence

Norway is discontinuing FM radio

This seems very premature. According to the article 70% of households in Norway listen to radio digitally; this leaves over 1.5 million people who don't, and will presumably have to fork out for a new radio if they want to carry on listening. Car radios are still mostly FM, apparently, and motorists will have to buy an expensive adapter.

Making people scrap perfectly functional radios doesn't really sit well with Norway's good reputation on environmental issues.

Other technical issues are covered by various commenters on the article. A muffled or degraded DAB signal is horrible to hear - a blaring, teeth-grinding BLAART - whereas a poor FM signal is generally listenable if you don't mind a little white noise around it.

From a UK perspective this is troubling - "In the UK more than 35% of radio listening is digital. The government has said the switch from FM to DAB will happen when the figure stands at 50% and the DAB signal can be received by 90% of the population." So at that juncture 7 million people will just be unable to listen to the radio?

As for internet radio, if you don't have decent internet then listening to it veers from frustrating to impossible.

Conclusion - this is more digital drawbridge stuff.

Radio silence

You'd hope this might present an opportunity for more 'pirate' stations to fill the gap.

Here's a list of London's pirate FM stations, for instance.

And here's how to set one up.

Comment

Radio silence

The government has said the switch from FM to DAB will happen when the figure stands at 50% and the DAB signal can be received by 90% of the population.
      I had a DAB clock radio (Sony, so not cheap and cheerful.)
      I could get a signal by the window, but on my side of the bed away from the window I got nada.
      In zone 1. In the centre of the most populous city in Europe.

FM of course, was fine.

I wonder if I'd be in the 90% or the 10%?

Comment

Radio silence

Surely DAB has no future either? Mobile data is becoming cheaper and cheaper. I listen to internet radio on my phone now. Means I can listen to WFMU from New Jersey instead of whatever shite that is in the airwaves in my area.

They may as well just leave FM on until traditional broadcasting dies. And it might come in handy during an apocalypse, seeing as FM radios are all over the place.

Comment

Radio silence

There has also been understandable uproar from Irish emigrants in the UK over RTE's plans to discontinue its LW service - one can hardly expect sexagenarians to suddenly upgrade to TuneIn! On a more selfish note, one hopes the BBC never scrap broadcasting on AM - the Five Live signal comes through perfectly clear after sunset, but the digital station is usually geoblocked.

Comment

Working...
          X