Another victim 27 years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend here, smashing bloke, carpenter, lovely family (his wife was my older daughter's teacher from grades 1-4). He was shot during the revolution and had an operation to save his life in the chaotic days following the fall of ceausescu. Unfortunately the blood transfusion he was given infected him with hepatitis and he has ever since struggled with bad liver problems.

He died today.

It's really weird to imagine that 27 years later, the revolution is still claiming victims

Sorry for your loss, ad hoc. That's a terrible way to go.

To your other point, it's eerie how often you hear of victims claimed eons after the deed; people dying of radiation illnesses decades after Hiroshima, or of lung illnesses contracted during the rescue attempts on 9/11.

Comment

Not as dramatic, but asbestos deaths are peaking in many countries more than twenty years after it's use was banned or restricted.

Sincere condolences to ad-hoc.

Comment

I would imagine it was a hurried rush to strip asbestos out that causeas much of a problem than the original problem of building with it. I worked in a WW2 built h-block style office for seven years in the 2000s that still had 'asbestos warning' signs up; they'd obviously decided leaving it well alone was less risky than trying to remove it.

Comment

I don't think there any doubt about that. It's remains a considerable danger in older buildings that are being demolished or renovated. It'll be some decades before its consequences are eradicated completely.

Comment

That's very sad to hear, ad hoc. Condolences.

Comment

Thanks all. Younger than me he was.

Comment

Sorry ad hoc.

Comment

Condolences ad hoc, he must have been a young man during the fighting.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that ad hoc. My condolences mate.

Comment

Yes, commiserations ad hoc.

A small victory over history in these parts, if it cheers anyone up: one of my mates recently became a dad. His wife's parents were among those disappeared by the 1976-83 military junta, so it's two fingers up to them in a way (or a middle finger up to them, since flicking the V's isn't an insult in these parts).

Comment

Sorry to hear this, AH.

Comment

Muukalainen wrote: Condolences ad hoc, he must have been a young man during the fighting.
                          He was a conscript doing his stint in the army. As so many bravely did he deserted and joined the right side when things kicked off. He will have been 19.

Comment

Just back from the funeral. It was absolutely packed. (and funerals here tend to be held in outdoor chapels in the cemetery which are big enough to hold the coffin the immediate family and the priest, and everybody else stands outside. There were people as far as the eye could see (and it's -15 today so standing around a cemetery for an hour is not easy to do, however wrapped up you are)

Comment

Working...
                            X