Alternative realities - Labour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure there have been loads of these on here in the past but I have just finished "Things Can Only Get Better" (which I would love to see an updated version of) and wondered -

"What would the Labour Party been like if John Smith hadn't died? Would they have got into power and stayed in so long?"

Smith benefits from not having been seen in office, so Labour Party members can imagine a Smith government however they like.

Having said that, I don't think there's anyone who could have been quite as disgusting as Blair.

Comment

Bobby Kennedy serves the same function for the US Democratic Party, even 50 years after his assassination.

Obviously a very different person and politician than Smith, but the "what might have been" vibe is strikingly similar.

Comment

So Smith is Che to Blair's Castro? Interesting. I suppose that makes Brown Raul. I don't know who would be more appalled by that

Comment

Except that there was never really a serious chance that Che would have ended up running the show in Cuba.

That was one of the prime reasons behind his travels after Castro consolidated his power.

Comment

NHH to thread.

Smith would have been sporadically frustrating but tolerable.

Comment

I have said on oldtf that Smith's death was the worst thing that's ever happened to the UK. I almost believe it...

Comment

You almost believe something that you yourself said?

Comment

On a football message board? Yeah...

Comment

Is that what this is?

Comment

Working...
                    X