Blackpool Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackpool Rock

I have to work with these people (northerners, that is). Hurling racist abuse at bus drivers? FFS.

Blackpool Rock

I've once seen an old bloke - a 'respectable looking' (though obviously tipsy) pensioner - actually throw his fare (overarm) at an Asian driver, coin by coin. Cunt. And this is the South, so it's a nationwide thing.

Comment

Blackpool Rock

How tragic. I clicked on this thread hoping for a lighthearted and whimsical discussion of the merits of Britain's seaside classic confectionary, and am reminded yet again of how appallingly racist this country still is.

Perhaps it's because I'm still working my way through a stick of rock from Blackpool a friend of my mum's gave me (a classic pink and white design, some might say plain but I think neatly traditional.) Now this feels like the most desperately tragic letdown in the world.

Comment

Blackpool Rock

Having worked in the public transport industry most of my life (I still do, kindasorta) I regret to say this sort of thing does happen on a regular basis. Mostly due to drink, not that that is any kind of excuse.

Mind you, it can work the other way ... there was a First Manchester driver got a bit aerated at a Jewish funeral recently. I think the disciplinary is still ongoing.

I myself got accused of anti-Irish prejudice once, because I threw an old drunk out of the enquiry office in Rochdale bus station. He couldn't make it stick, though, seeing as how my mother's family are from Co. Fermanagh.

Comment

Blackpool Rock

So. Generic hatred and abuse based on ethnicity and skin colour is intolerable, but hatred and bigotry against regionalism is OK.

Go on. Explain that one to me will you?

Comment

Working...
          X