Home Sweet Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Sweet Home

This story has been ongoing since Thursday, when a bunch of activists took over a vacant NAMA building in Dublin, called Apollo House, and promptly moved a number of homeless people inside. Various volunteers have given their services to make the building more habitable, and various celebrities such as Glenn Hansard, Hozier, Saoirse Ronan and Jim Sheridan have contributed to the campaign. That said, it has proven controversial as the question has been asked as to whether it is a fire hazard, and whether such ad hoc movements detract from genuine homeless charities. Today, a court action has been taken, and it's expected that NAMA will regain control of the complex.

Home Sweet Home

You've got different laws/rules about squatting over there. Are there still squatters rights in the UK, and do these apply in Ireland (which, as I understand it, is a different country)?

Comment

Home Sweet Home

TAB will know more about the legalities than I, but the arguments are being made about the law of trespass, rather than squatting, per se.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

Evicted, but stay placed until the 11th.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

It (squatting) was never the safest thing to do in '80's Belfast. They just sent the DMSU Robocunts in to batter the shit out of you and throw you out on the street.
          There's a mad old boy called Rainbow George who started his own political party here. He squatted a massive house in 1970's Kensington and ended up as legal owner because bizarrely no one claimed it after a certain time frame. He flogged it for over a million pounds a few years back. A mate of mine is his A/V guy. Nice gig. Easy money and lots of it.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

This is madness. If you're going to break into somewhere, don't pick a dump that sucks in cold, and has less heat retention capacity than a fucking underground car park. An underground carpark would probably be less damp. That building was not well built the day it was finished, and it's waiting to be ripped down.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

I'm guessing this is more about Making a Point than squatting somewhere that is suitable for dwelling. Is this a front for the hard working Trots/Quiet Unionists of PBP?

Comment

Home Sweet Home

Not necessarily, but RBB was in attendance.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

Now an office in Sligo has been "occupied" - as Lang Spoon says, even if the protest is well-intentioned, you do feel that the alt left will ultimately commandeer affairs.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

It seems the media have finally become aware of the existence of food poverty after turning a blind eye to soup kitchens and food banks in recent years.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

There are good people in the SP/SWP Irish franchises, but RBB especially is a sleekit grandstanding arsehole. I wouldn't be surprised if they engineered a forced eviction by Gardai for the lurid footage of pigs storming in and beating up the homeless (i believe the squatting crusty types helping them out for the moment until the usual Action Committee types take over have advised they should ignore the first eviction notice, but definitely leave before the date of the second, otherwise things will get horrible), and all so they can be suitably Outraged! In the Dail. And never mind the poor vulnerable people that will get a stiff kickin' by some Cavan robocop cunt.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

Richard Boyd Barrett gives me a pain in the balls. There are a lot of problems in Ireland at the moment. I am particularly eager to hear people who have a clear understanding of the issues, and a meaningful costed plan for improving the situation, and by that I mean find some specific source of money. Either a meaningful and implementable new tax, or by taking funding from some other area that you are prepared to identify. You know, like Scandinavians would. Because that is something that might fucking happen. And we have a severe shortage of this kind of thinking in Ireland right Now.

But when I hear some cunt like Richard Boyd Barrett just banging on about how unfair something is and not offering any feasible alternative, or meaningful solution, other than banging on about how bad things are unfair, I usually find it tells me more about the people saying it, than anything about the issue they are addressing.

Comment

Working...
                        X