That's a newspaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a newspaper?

Michael Tomasky mentioned the Gannett Newseum (ugh) website feature of images of the front pages of over 600 newspapers every day. I was browsing through California's offerings, when I saw the front page of the Bakersfield Californian. Now, it's always good sport to make fun of Bakersfield, but this is just ridiculous:

That's a newspaper?

Shocking.

Even for Bakersfield.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Looks better than the print NYT, if you ask me. Not to mention most British tabloids.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

If you look closely, one one of the three actual articles on the front page is written by a Bakersfield Californian reporter.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a big city. Even as much as I rip the LA Times, I know it's better than around 95% of the papers in this country. But I bet this front cover would make Sam Zell cream in his jeans. Here's what his redesign of the Orlando Sentinel looks like, and what he wants his papers to look more like:

Comment

That's a newspaper?

"If you look closely, one one of the three actual articles on the front page is written by a Bakersfield Californian reporter."

Yeah, but does each local newspaper need a separate journalist covering the presidential election? There were 15,000 journos at each convention. That's far too high as it is, and I'm all in favour of full employment for hacks.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

That "99c is Not Enough Money" piece in the Bakersfield paper looks like an Onion piece.

The only thing that looks like useful information on either of those front pages is the High School Football preview. At least that will help out the degenerate gamblers.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Ginger Yellow wrote:
              "If you look closely, one one of the three actual articles on the front page is written by a Bakersfield Californian reporter."

Yeah, but does each local newspaper need a separate journalist covering the presidential election? There were 15,000 journos at each convention. That's far too high as it is, and I'm all in favour of full employment for hacks.
              I would think that on basic national politics stories they would be able to have a reporter. I understand that could be very expensive, but I think there are dangers of just relying on AP/NYT/WaPo/LAT stories for political coverage.

Reed: 99 Cent stores considering raising their prices has been a big story out here.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

"Slow Cookers Mean Quick Dinners" wow they've really got their finger on the pulse at the Orlanbdo Sentinel...would that be the slow cookers thta have been around for about 20 years. Can't wait to see the other tips.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

The local papers should send a reporter to talk to the local politicians and delegates who are there to get their reaction to the platform and so forth.

Here's today's front page of the paper I delivered as a kid.
                  Slow news day.

As paper's of it's size go, it's actually not too bad now that it's owned by McClatchy. It's improved in the last year or two. For a while there it seemed like they didn't have any paid reporters at all.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

would think that on basic national politics stories they would be able to have a reporter. I understand that could be very expensive, but I think there are dangers of just relying on AP/NYT/WaPo/LAT stories for political coverage.
                    Sure, but there's far more to national politics than the presidential election. I've no problem with having a national politics reporter at all. Given that small town newspapers have next to no access to the candidates, what exactly is the point of having a dedicated reporter for the election?

The local papers should send a reporter to talk to the local politicians and delegates who are there to get their reaction to the platform and so forth.
                    Except: a) the platform is more or less meaningless, and b) nothing of import actually happens at the conventions these days apart from speechifying. They could talk to the delegates before the convention, while they're nearby.

Sending reporters to the conventions is a waste of very scarce resources. To be honest, I think that's true of pretty much every media organisation, but it's all the more true for local papers.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Perhaps, but the local cunting politicians might be more willing to do a fucking interview at the fucking convention than they would at home because they want to give the local dipshit media a goddamned reason to come to their fucking convention which, as you say, is really a cocksucking non-event.

(I'm just trying to inject some damn controversy into this shitfuck thread).

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Since those images change daily, the URLs I grabbed for the pictures will be the same, but the front pages will be different. So people years from now looking back at this thread will wonder what on earth we were talking about with high school football or 99 Cent stores.

It'll be interesting to see them tomorrow, though.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

So the plan for newspapers is to make them look more like webpages?

Comment

That's a newspaper?

It appears that way. Kids picking up a paper today will be very frustrated that nothing happens when they try to "click" on anything.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Yeah, I noticed the web-like layout. I prefer it to the British tabloid approach, though, or the overcrowded and staid NYT/WaPo/WSJ route.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

I prefer staid. I think it's had a redesign, but the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung was too staid even for my liking, when I saw it when working in the bookstore.

I also don't see the big deal about having to turn the page to follow an article, but that's what I've always known. Though the NYT now, where an article starts inside the paper and continues on to other pages, annoys me because I'm used to articles only continued over from the front page, not inside the paper. Something else from my personal biases--it was strange being in London and seeing respectable newspapers printed in tabloid size. I'm used to anything printed like that being trashy (except for alt weeklies).

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Tribune just blew up and redid the Baltimore Sun. Complete redesign, faux computer tabs on the front page, pushed the local news section into the national and made it garishly blocky and colorful. It's AWFUL.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Ja wohl, Inca, the FAZ has introduced that radical concept of having one or two photos on the front page, and the Neue Zuricher Zeitung has done the same (though each has kept the masthead in Schrift).

Gott in Himmel.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Incidentally, it's really interesting to me that a Gannett newspaper is syndicating stuff from non-Gannett papers. You'd (almost) never get that in the UK. There's plenty of wire service copy, but everything else is taken from within the stable.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Do you mean the Bakersfield Californian, GY?

It isn't a Gannett paper; it's been [url=http://www.bakersfield.com/about_us/]"independent, family-owned" since the 19th c.

The "Newseum" website that Inca took the screengrab from is a Gannett production.

Comment

That's a newspaper?

Ah.

Comment

Working...
                                          X