X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump first explored running for president in 1988

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...re-1987-213595

Comment

It would have been sufficient for Ventura to flatter Trump for the latter to pay him attention. The viability for a dumbfuck like Trump to run for President increased gradually over 30 years (and was already apparent with Reagan) and someone with his level of narcissism must have considered it with each approaching cycle, especially when the scam opportunities increased with social media. What he couldn't have foreseen was how the GOP would cave and how bad HRC's campaign would be.

Comment

I’ve mentioned it before, but the Dollop makes it extremely clear in their two-part Reagan ep (with Patton Oswalt) that Ronnie was Trump before Trump. All the component parts are there, even being a shithead to his kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
          I’ve mentioned it before, but the Dollop makes it extremely clear in their two-part Reagan ep (with Patton Oswalt) that Ronnie was Trump before Trump. All the component parts are there, even being a shithead to his kids.
          Except his personality was quite different, and for many people that makes more of an impact. Reagan was the old geezer in a rocking chair sitting on his front deck saying "howdy" to passers-by. Trump could never be that avuncular, he's just raging, flaming, spluttering id. I suspect most voters didn't find Reagan scary (though they should have.) Trump OTOH looks and sounds terrifying (though he's really chickenshit.)

Comment

Reagan clearly had a set of values, even if they were repugnant and even if his private life was a sham. He didn't become President in order to scam as much money as possible to keep afloat his failed business empire. Reagan's racism was fairly much a product of its times whereas Trump's is sociopathic and personal. Reagan would not have a personal vendetta against his predecessor simply because he was black.

OTOH some of the people in the background (e.g. Pat Buchanan*) were proto-Trumpers.

*Paleoconservatism generally.

Comment

One of the key errors made by the GOP establishment in making their devil's bargain with Trump was thinking that they could use him like Reagan.

It worked with respect to tax cuts (because they serve Trump , and his cronies) and judges (because he doesn't care and was handed an entire infrastructure to handle them), but has been a disaster for their longer term interests.

Comment

I can't quite buy this Trump-Reagan comparison, appalling as both are/were. They're temperamentally so different, for a start, their psychologies so diverse, the characters they projected so different. Reagan was assuring Uncle, Trump crazy Uncle.

Comment

Reagan was also a globalist in foreign policy not an isolationist. Trump is like the Cold War never happened.

Comment

Yeah, and the consequence of Trump's isolation seems to have been a dialling down of involvement in "liberal intervention" abroad. When did a President last wage as little war as Trump?

Comment

Yeah, Both filthy, nasty bastards, both horrific right-wing shits, but in some different ways.

Comment

Trump's not interested in wars because there's no immediate profit or adulation in it for him. Plenty of money can be made from foreign interference, but it generally requires patience and a conviction in a set of values in order to perpetrate the long con. Trump is a short term grifter, looking for immediate effect and moving on. It's why his business ventures fail, he grabs what he can and lets others pick up the pieces. It's why he's up to his eyeballs in debt, he fills his pockets today and never thinks about what will happen down the line because he'll scam some other sucker to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by wingco View Post
                          Yeah, and the consequence of Trump's isolation seems to have been a dialling down of involvement in "liberal intervention" abroad. When did a President last wage as little war as Trump?
                          Jimmy Carter.

Comment

[QUOTE]I can't quite buy this Trump-Reagan comparison, appalling as both are/were.[/QUOTE

This, x 100. Sure, Reagan was an unpleasant individual and had horrible right wing policies which caused pain to huge numbers of the less fortunate in US society. I wouldn't defend him for a minute. But surely Trump is thoroughly unprecedented in the way he is trashing the norms of US democracy and causing massive long term damage to the fabric of US democracy, both in terrms of institutional infrastructure and in terms of culture. He is normalising fascism, and normalising a culture of utterly in-your-face blatant lying in a way which makes truth politically irrelevant.

To a slightly lesser extent, our own wannabe Trump in the UK is unprecedented - very similar to Trump in his normalising of shameless lying and contempt for (indeed direct assault on) the institutions of democracy and the rule of law and his sowing (though Priti Patel and others) the seeds of fascism, as well as his facilitation of a raid of colossal scale on the public purse by profiteering cronies and their corruptly procured outsourcing contracts. Again, that is almost unprecedented. For all the horribleness of Thatcher and her ilk, there was not the same sense that we were being run by a mob of shameless gangsters.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SafetyPinDaily/status/1318195209205841923

Comment

Hahaha! That's great. That's up there with "I'll have to leave the country if I lose".

Comment

2016: Look at their stupid MAGA hats, can it get any dumber?
                                  2020: MAGA face masks.

Comment

Trump is predictably trying to dodge Thursday's debate on the pretext that there is not enough foreign policy in it.

Comment

He's increasingly unhinged, even by his standards.

This was from a call that reporters were invited to join

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1318216044843048960

Comment

I got to experience a Trump roadside rally first-hand yesterday. Lots of people in front of the Federal building in West LA, a place that's often used for demonstrations. Saw a few slammed pickup trucks with giant Trump flags pulling up, but most of the crowd seemed to be Trump-supporting Jews, I'd say half of the flags were Israeli flags. Got stopped at the traffic light and they were marching back and forth in the intersection.

I didn't see the guy in the silver spacesuit that was doing Botox injections of his own invention at the Trump rally in Beverly Hills, though.

https://twitter.com/waterspider__/status/1317635292128370688

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          He's increasingly unhinged, even by his standards.

This was from a call that reporters were invited to join

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1318216044843048960
                                          He’s off his face on drugs, which is also why I’m still burning a candle for his demise. He’s nowhere near out of the woods.

Comment

Just seen on Dutch news.

Dutch IT security people managed to "hack" (if you can call it that) into Trump's Twitter account.

They guessed a password with letters, numbers and symbols: maga2020!

Two step verification had been disabled.

Unfortunately they didn't do anything once they got in, as they consider themselves ethical hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Unfortunately they didn't do anything once they got in, as they consider themselves ethical hackers.
                                              Not doing anything seems more black hat to me. Or red hat, I suppose.

Comment

Surely an ethical hacker would delete all of Trump's racist tweets and lock the account.

Comment

OK, it's got to be asked.

If you managed to hack Trump's twitter account, and were allowed just one tweet before you got booted out, what would it say?

Comment

The best thing would have been to change the password to something absolutely impossible to crack.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X