• Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/deniswirtz/status/1275093811341914112?s=21

Comment

It's all kicking off in Florida

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1276965068048158720?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1277206334371397632

The Villages (in Central Florida) is one of the more bizarre places in a bizarre part of a bizarre country.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-2018-218758

And they have a football club

Comment

I've been assuming since March that The Villages is where the very worst consequences of Trumpism, Florida-ism, hordes of ancient retirees, and Florida's lack of policy on Covid would happen. I honestly don't understand how it's not a death-pit already.

Comment

I would think that it would be a relative doddle to manipulate the figures given how insular and self contained the place is and how common death is..

Their excess deaths data would be intriguing.

Comment

He was apparently rambling incoherently on Hannity last night. Let's not get complacent but he seems to be reaching the mode of not having any clue how to win from here and being a huge liability to his own campaign.

I could see many GOP top people skipping Jacksonville.

Comment

An easy fix, to talk less in public, is starting him in the face. It would keep it a close race. Wonder if he'll try it.

Comment

I'm sure that is what Graham is telling him on the golf course today, but no one has been able to control his impulses yet

Comment

Is there any chance at all that he retires from the contest, to save face, but putting forward some other excuse?

Comment

I've thought about that for a couple of years, but it doesn't seem at all likely.

Comment

He's the best chance of the Democrats winning, Pence would probably win if they put him forward.

Comment

Don't underestimate the power of the personality cult

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            Is there any chance at all that he retires from the contest, to save face, but putting forward some other excuse?
                            His ghost writer (The Art of The Deal) has long predicted that, if defeat becomes inevitable, Trump will find some pretext for resigning. He'll declare victory and say his work here is done or something to that effect. Or that the system is so rigged by the Deep State that he can't possibly win., etc.

Comment

The problem that I have with that is that the "strategy" seems very much to keep milking the tubes for all that they are worth for as long as they are alive

Stepping aside doesn't help that narrative. Being able to claim he was stabbed in the back does

Comment

His odds have gone out to 6/4. Still not as far out as I'd like.

Comment

Those on a popular vote victory should be much longer

Comment

There was a Politico piece this morning suggesting that he's finally aware that he's in the shit. And suggesting that there's a chance he finds a way to bail out.

The trouble with him dropping out is that even if Pence becomes President (which I see as incredibly unlikely) he no longer has the office of the Presidency to protect him legally. Being President confers some immunity and that all goes out of the window in January if he doesn't win. My guess is that he's going to try and stick it out just for the possibility of keeping his legal shield.

Comment

Gasparino is floating the same idea.

They are clearly terrified about losing the Senate, having to pay taxes and possibly going to jail.

It is only just dawning on them that he doesn't give a monkey's about any of them or any of their "policies".

Comment

SCOTUS invalidates the Louisiana anti-abortion law in June Medical 5-4

Comment

Well, that disproves my theory that the Supremes were setting themselves up to support the Louisiana law with their previous decisions this term.

That's fantastic, and deeply surprising, news.

Comment

It was all about Roberts and he still cares enough about stare decisis not to overturn four year old precedents just because the composition of the Court has changed

Comment

Dems still need to win in November to prevent the anti-abortionists trying to rerun this kind of stunt when the composition changes again.

What are the chances of a Dem Senate being able and willing to impeach Kavanaugh?

Comment

I'm going to say "pretty darned low".

Comment

I will take the under on that.

Kavanaugh is obviously a twunt of the first order, but what would be the charge(s)?

Comment

Lying under oath during his senate testimony?

Although the odds of the Senate Democrats actually doing it are basically zero.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X