Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never a problem

I'm very aware that none of this is fully rational

By the way, one reason why one doesn't hear about "court packing" plans from the GOP is that they have successfully weaponised their control of the Senate so as to achieve the same goals without taking the political heat for such a "radical" measure.

By denying and delaying appointments by Democratic presidents and ramming through their own choices, they have been able to have a much greater influence on the composition of the courts than was previously thought possible.

Comment

Sure, that makes sense.

Comment

I think Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would both have won third terms and most GOP senators would be aware of that.

OTOH caving to Trump for naked financial reasons has become a habit that perhaps they cannot break.

The best guarantee against Trump 2024 might be his poor health or the economy tanking.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-02-2020, 00:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

The best guarantee against Trump 2024 might be his poor health or the economy tanking.
          Or that pesky 22nd amendment, or am I overreacting?

Comment

The working assumption was repeal

Comment

Approved by 2/3 of anything?

Comment

I'm not the one doing the assuming, though 2/3 of state legislatures isn't beyond the pale assuming he wins in November.

Comment

I’m a major league political pessimist but I can’t see that happening. Especially as he'll have no one to effectively blame when economy goes to shit.

Comment

Doesn't mean that he wouldn't try very hard, of course (and that the base will eat anything he feeds them).

The idea of a Constitutional Convention has been a thing on the right for a few decades, and I can see it coming back to some prominence if they feel that they are losing their grip notwithstanding voter suppression and other dark money funded shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      So I get that it's unlikely, but what do people think the mechanism is by which Trump would be stopped from running in 2024?
                      Death.

Comment

I realize you dance with who brung you, but they should be looking for someone smarter and younger than Trump but just as corrupt. He's a weird vessel for the authoritarian project. I guess I'm operating with the assumption that most dictators are cleverer than him. Rather than bothering with the 22nd Amendment on his behalf, just anoint a charismatic successor and kick the can for eight more years.

Comment

They don't trust themselves to pick one

They never would have picked him

Though Tucker Carlson keeps raising his hand

Comment

Well, another way of seeing it is that anyone who emerges as a viable successor will be obliged to exploit the corruption and dysfunction he accelerated. A broken system will only be leveraged by the corrupt. They should trust the momentum rather than going all out to keep him in power.
                            Last edited by Bruno; 09-02-2020, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Death.
                              Enough orange pancake and that needn’t be a dealbreaker. Robotics is improving all the time

Comment

Nefertiti2 I think Disney has one already. And it speaks in complete sentences.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CharlesPPierce/status/1226991661802311688

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/melissaryan/status/1227224534216007680?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It was only a matter of time before the worst shadow-PAC-type hatchet jobs would come directly from the candidate. It will be one long no holds barred smear campaign.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DavidLaufmanLaw/status/1227299216332075008

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/mikel_jollett/status/1227295501130690560?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1227352806992072704?s=21[/URL]

Comment

There's some fucked up shit going on right now.

Comment

There's a whole load of frothing shit shoulder deep around UK and US Norms, and it's only getting worse. Our only hope is a pandemic that only hits Gammon over 50s.

Comment

It's pretty riveting, I'll give it that.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/susan_hennessey/status/1228022385267396612?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X