No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is barely making news over here, though that got 45 to say that "we never liked that guy"

Comment

Oh, Mick McCarthy's evil twin is in here. I was wondering if the reason there was no thread about the horrors was that, well, what is there to say other than fucking hell and don't let him escape.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        Oh, Mick McCarthy's evil twin is in here. I was wondering if the reason there was no thread about the horrors was that, well, what is there to say other than fucking hell and don't let him escape.
        Wait?

What?

Mick McCarthy is not the evil one?

Comment

More on what's going on with the Embassy "leaks"

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1148298968276852736

Look at the Leave.EU message, which focuses on Trump's desire for Farage to be US ambassador. Darroch, it says, "needs to be banished from Washington and replaced by a favourite of the President".

Comment

Why is any of this coming as a surprise to people whose entire job to observe these things?

Comment

From our experience over here I would posit that the two primary reasons are that political journalists

1) have a rather totemic belief in the "norms" that they have been trained to believe underlie politics and refuse to recognise that important actors are no longer playing by what they were told are the "rules", despite copious evidence

2) being absurdly reliant on "access", are incredibly reluctant to break publicly with anyone who once was a friend or source or might serve as either (or both) at some time in the indefinite future.

And then there are the ones who are in on the whole thing and proud of being so.

Comment

45 has now been shown some of the quotes and declared that "we won't be working with [Darroch] anymore" but that it doesn't really matter given the imminent change in PM.
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 08-07-2019, 20:36.

Comment

I see President Distraction is lauding his environmental record.

Satire is not just dead, it's corpse has been set on fire and then violated by a pack of stray dogs.

Comment

He's Twittering on about Darroch again this morning. The latter's criticism must have really stung him, or perhaps he can't get his head around the fact that the Government is supporting the ambassador.

Comment

I would posit that he or his people are hearing from his "good friend" Nigel that this is an on-going outrage.

Comment

We're talking of little else at family mealtimes.

Comment

Many people are saying that they've never seen anything like it . . .

Comment

Well, maybe she genuinely disagrees with him, or at least some of his earlier assessments, but the main point that she has been making is that he's trusted and should be allowed to air his frank opinions, albeit privately.

Comment

Maybe, if which case she's being polite, or diplomatic if you will. But people in the UK don't need the Government to tell them what to think of the US administration and are quite well aware of the need to avoid giving offence in public, especially to allies.

The UK isn't caving in to anyone. If the situation was reversed, and let's not forget that Wikileaks revealed some trenchant views of the UK by US officials, I would expect the US administration to downplay the incident and come up with some honeyed words to smooth things over.

Comment

She probably thinks it is her duty to cave because that's what Tory PMs do.

Comment

Well, I think we all need to avoid descending to Trump's level. It's good to rise above it and attempt to take the moral high ground. There's a vast amount of offensive language behind closed doors in diplomacy, politics, business and so on but that's almost always where it should be left, with open dialogue cool and measured.

As for appeasing Trump, everyone's just letting him rant inarticulately and make a fool of himself like his always does, aren't they?

Comment

Why do keep on accusing May of lying? Why don't you just accept that she may not have such a negative opinion of Trump and his administration as Darroch had when he sent the communications in 2017?

Comment

Oh please. I doubt she can stand him at all. She's a cold measured racist and xenophobe, not a tub thumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                        My premise is that no other government has a positive opinion of Trump's. Could be wrong.
                                        Try some eastern European countries, perhaps.

Comment

Philippines, Brazil, Poland, Russia, India?

Comment

The Saudis and the Israelis called.

Comment

I'm sure most every diplomatic Corps (if not head of state) thinks he's a fuckwit, but some think him a fuckwit who advances their Govt's evil bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                                My premise is that no other government has a positive opinion of Trump's. Could be wrong.
                                                OK, well I suppose I can say it again. I didn't say that she had a positive opinion of Trump; she has perhaps a slightly less negative opinion than Darroch held two years ago, thus allowing her to truthfully say that she didn't agree with him.

Comment

Why does Trump keep talking about this? All it achieves is to remind everyone that even their Salacious B Crumb thinks that their president is an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    Why does Trump keep talking about this? All it achieves is to remind everyone that even their Salacious B Crumb thinks that their president is an imbecile.
                                                    Because Trump is Trump. There is virtually nothing even 1% admirable about him, Even the dreaded May has come out of this episode with a smidgen of credit to her name,

Comment

Working...
                                                    X