No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In local news, Sh*ldon fucking A*els*n has just paid money* to change Nevada laws, to make possible a state lottery.

* https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3acadbffec81

Comment

I have no problem with the idea of reparations, but how would it work on a practical level?

Comment

Well, Matt Whittaker seems like a good choice.

*That was a general comment, although considering Berb's above...

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          I have no problem with the idea of reparations, but how would it work on a practical level?
          In Canada similar reparations have usually taken the form of federal government funding of community projects. Here's an overview of the Japanese WW2 internment redress

The package for interned Japanese Canadians included $21,000 to each surviving internee, and the re-instatement of Canadian citizenship to those who were deported to Japan. Following Mulroney's apology, the Japanese Canadian Redress Agreement was established in 1988, along with the Japanese Canadian Redress Foundation (JCRF) (1988-2002), in order to issue redress payments for internment victims, with the intent of funding education.However, of the $12 million community fund, it was agreed upon by the JCRF board members that $8 million would go towards building homes and service centres for Issei senior citizens. Due to the fact that Issei had been stripped of their wealth, property, and livelihoods during internment, it was a main concern of the JCRF to provide aid to their community elders.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
            Thanks TG. Please take all of my questions at face value. (I can be a total twat on here at times, but sometimes, I'm not, and this is one of them.)

At what point does it stop? How far back does it go? And why only the people who were ripped from Africa?

(Do you want to continue this on the 'white supremacy' thread?)
            Ok. I don't claim to have all the answers, I believe it should include land and grants to start businesses. It could be for everyone who can trace their family back to the end of slavery and not for black immigrants from the Carribbean or Africa.

​​​​​​Everyone else came by choice, the descendants of slaves were taken against their will so have a unique status.

Comment

And how does one counter the 3-second whatabootery of "Wait: I didn't fucking do this. Why are they getting money when my government has been shitting on me all my life?"

If pushed, I would have said something along the lines of what Amor said. But that would be problematic (and especially under this type of government, when NOTHING is nailed down), because if the national shit hits the economic fan, guess what would be first to be cut? Slightly akin to libraries in the UK, but not actually similar. (And I hate to say this, but it's reminded me of that Dave Chapelle sketch, which I can't bastarding find.)

Comment

Also TG, can you guess how many people would be disqualified from that list through a serious lack of documentation? Yep, almost as many as are wiped from the electoral roll in every state in this country.

Remind me, why the fuck did I move here?

And, apologies. Sorry that I, personally, am using you as the 'black spokesperson'. And thanks for being so patient. And helpful.

Comment

That's a bit harsh on people from the Caribbean isn't it? Their ancestors didn't exactly arrive in the region on a package holiday. And Is it for events leading up to 1865, or should it include the 100 years of pretty unadulterated shit that followed, or the 50 grim years that came after that? Jim Crow should probably count.

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-02-2019, 23:33.

Comment

I don't want to speak for TG, but I think he's explained himself well here - people who were brought to the US as slaves are a special case. Almost every non English Protestant group has had a shit time in the US to some degree or other. But they all came by choice. They had agency, which slaves did not. If you draw the line at "was persecuted a bit in the US" then pretty much everyone in the US except me (as a white, very recent, immigrant) would have a claim on reparations.

There are logistical problems - how you identify descendants of slavery; how you pay reparations; and whether you divide it differently between those with one ancestor and those with, say, nothing but slaves 6 generations ago in their ancestry. But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action

As for the Caribbean descendants of slaves, they have a legitimate case for reparations, but those would be against the British or French governments, not the American one.

Comment

Yeah I got that, I was just curious about the precise line, because the next 100 years were not good in most of the US in an explicit discrimination sense. It seems fair enough, though given the lengths to which the UK govt went to utterly shaft people who actually remembered being in Kenyan concentration camps, I wish them luck. As long as you're happy to draw clear lines and stick to them, them you might get somewhere. No part of this is going to be easy.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-02-2019, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action
                        I think TG mentioned that elsewhere. Whatabootery from people who think they are not at fault.

Me.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 09-02-2019, 00:21.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          I don't want to speak for TG, but I think he's explained himself well here - people who were brought to the US as slaves are a special case. Almost every non English Protestant group has had a shit time in the US to some degree or other. But they all came by choice. They had agency, which slaves did not. If you draw the line at "was persecuted a bit in the US" then pretty much everyone in the US except me (as a white, very recent, immigrant) would have a claim on reparations.

There are logistical problems - how you identify descendants of slavery; how you pay reparations; and whether you divide it differently between those with one ancestor and those with, say, nothing but slaves 6 generations ago in their ancestry. But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action

As for the Caribbean descendants of slaves, they have a legitimate case for reparations, but those would be against the British or French governments, not the American one.
                          if you're going to make posts like that then feel free to speak for me whenever the mood takes you as I agree with every single word.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/nicopitney/status/1094013931218030592?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Can someone please fucking tell me how to show Twitter links in this (and every other fucking) website?

Thanks,

(Saves my quoting every blank reply)

Comment

Put (Tweet) (in square brackets) at the start of the twitter Url and then put (/tweet) in square brackets at the end and it should show up

Comment

Nah Berbs. I meant how do I get other's posts to show up? But thanks.

Comment

I have the same problem when I use Firefox. Chrome seems to work though.

And the old board we had a handy solution where the tweet link was shown below the embedded tweet, for those of us who couldn't see the embedded tweet. I guess the snakester will be getting around to that when he finds the time.

Comment

Cheers Anton.

At the end of the old board, it didn't work, and with this, it remains, so it's nothing to do with the transfer. But, your suggestion didn't work then, either. It's a fault on my end. To do with cookies or something. I can't see Tweets on Buzzfeed, and I am bereft. But, other websites don't work too.

I will probably have to reset my whole life. Which is fine. But I don't need to have to repeat my insults to those who would believe that I am their literal queen. (Long story about a locker in a bus station... they went with 'MenInBlack'.)

Comment

It may be related to “Tracking Protection”

Take a look at this thread. Ignore the highly technical posts at the beginning.

Comment

Intriguing thread on possible Saudi involvement in the AMI/Bezos debacle (click through to read)

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1093967010931924998
                                          https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/...67010931924998

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            It may be related to “Tracking Protection”

Take a look at this thread. Ignore the highly technical posts at the beginning.
                                            By george, I think you've done it! (Works on Buzzfeed, anyway.)

Comment

Rob Lowe turned into a bit of a twat:

https://twitter.com/RobLowe/status/1094349030648369152

Comment

He deleted the tweet but really needs to delete his account.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SarahLerner/status/1095400427019853824

Comment

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1095395923470049282

Comment

Working...
                                                    X