No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This made me laugh (in a nervous sort of way)

Comment

Tweet from the BBC's Head of Politics successor to Robbie Gibb once a Federation of Conservative Students activist in their Hang Madela era who now head of Media for Theresa May

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1082943919539798017

Comment

Rosenstein is going to leave DOJ after Barr is confirmed as the new AG.

Comment

Let's hope Mueller moves things along before confirmation hearings happen.

Comment

He certainly is working very hard on that.

The Manafort/Kilimnik story is a genuinely big deal.

“The most innocent possible explanation here is that Trump hired an international criminal who was trying to give campaign information to a Russian oligarch in exchange for debt relief, and using a Russian intelligence asset as his go between,” says former Department of Justice spokesman Matthew Miller. “But it’s hard to see what good polling data would be to a Russian oligarch, so it raises the question of whether Manafort’s actual goal was to get the information to the Russian government itself.” Whether this was all about Manafort and his finances or whether this was part of a larger quid quo pro between Trump and the Russians isn’t yet clear.

Comment

Yeah - that definitely looked like a proper "big deal" thing. That is evidence of the Trump campaign appearing to be working directly with the Russian government.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/chadpergram/status/1083505551902941185?s=21[/URL]

Comment

They keep managing to find new ways to be evil.

Comment

It appears that Washington is coming around to the bullshit gamesmanship that I was proposing upthread.

Trump declares national emergency. Trump hasn't caved to libtards. Democrats haven't caved to bullshit hostage taking by the President. Everyone has "won". At which point congress can pass funding bills without wall money and the government gets back to work. The "emergency" promptly gets shut down by the courts.

The fact that it's incredibly illegal helps almost everyone:

Democrats are OK with this, because they know it's going to get shut down in the courts and there won't be a wall
                    A lot of Republicans are actually quite happy with this, because once its shown to be illegal it creates a legal benchmark limiting executive overreach which they generally dislike when it's not done by Trump
                    Even Trump's probably not unhappy, given that the wall is only really a mnemonic and he didn't much care about it anyway, and it being held up in courts until he's out of office/in his next term means that his base is appeased and not nagging him for action.

Comment

Not so fast

What we're not looking to do right now is national emergency," he said Friday afternoon, surrounded by law enforcement officials at a White House roundtable. “I’m not going to do it so fast.”

Comment

I just find it so hard not to react to the stupidity of the phrase "Do a national emergency"

Comment

I wonder if he's backed down from SB's strategy because there's a risk the SCOTUS would actually allow him to proceed with the emergency measures, which would give huge powers to a future Dem President?

He doesn't have much power in this game unless voters blame Democrats for the shutdown, which appears not to be happening. Eventually some GOP senators in areas affected by the shutdown (although it mainly affects Dem areas, naturally) ought to be getting twitchy.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-01-2019, 00:45.

Comment

You'd think that the one thing that you'd want a leader to "do fast" is declaring an emergency.

"The building is on fire, yes, and I think as time goes on I might say that this is an emergency, but for now let's just sit here and wait to see if there are any benefits to being trapped in a burning building"

Comment

He is delusional about believing the public will blame the Dems for the shutdown but who's gonna tell him when he only has bootlickers around him?

Comment

Who is going to tell him when he has similarly deluded people around him? That is the only reason I can think of that Sarah Sanders can spout that crap without gagging.

Comment

In the weeks leading up to December’s deadline to fund the government, Trump was warned repeatedly about the dangers of a shutdown but still opted to proceed, according to officials with knowledge of the conversations.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told the president that he had no leverage and that, without a clear strategy, he would be “boxed in a canyon.” He tried to make the case to Trump that even if Pelosi and Schumer were interested in cutting a deal with him, they would be constrained from compromising because of internal Democratic Party pressures to oppose Trump’s wall, these officials said.

Then-House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) talked with Trump by phone for 45 minutes the day before the shutdown, warning that he saw no way to win as he paced in a Capitol hallway just outside a conference room where House Republicans were meeting. Then-House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) warned about the perils of a shutdown during the Christmas season.

Inside, some of the more hard-line members urged a showdown over border wall funding, arguing that Trump’s core supporters would revolt otherwise. But McCarthy asked, “Tell me what happens when we get into a shutdown? I want to know what our next move is.”

Comment

I infer that this is where the underlying divide between Trump's base and the GOP starts to open up deep cracks on the surface that were concealed before Trump started to move into re-election mode knowing that his campaign would look hollow without the mirage of a wall still being in play.

Comment

That’s been happening since the election, and is essentially why Ryan walked away and they lost 40 seats in the midterms.

But they are all too terrified of the base, Fox and the radio demagogues to do anything.

Comment

This is an interesting take, which is not entirely without evidence

[URL]https://twitter.com/charlesppierce/status/1084478144252465152?s=21[/URL]

Comment

How much trouble is Alex Jones potentially in? .

Comment

What happens as a result of this kind of Censure motion.

I must say that Rep Bobby Rush has a hazy idea of what happens to a rabid animal.

Rep. Bobby Rush announced he would be filing a censure motion on Monday to hold the Iowa Republican accountable for “his pattern of racist and xenophobic statements” going back to 2006. Shortly afterward, Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) unveiled his own censure resolution, which specifically targets comments King made to The New York Times last week.

“He has become too comfortable with proudly insulting, disrespecting, and denigrating people of color,” Rush, a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus, said in a statement. “As with any animal that is rabid, Steve King should be set aside and isolated.”

Then again probably not the time or place to insist that he be put down and his corpse incinerated.

Comment

Don't read the comments. (Under the Alex Jones piece.)
                                              Last edited by Gerontophile; 14-01-2019, 21:12.

Comment

Censure can result in anything from bupkus to expulsion from the House.

King isn't going to be expelled.

Comment

I assume that Jones arranged his financial affairs in such aaway as to make him effectively "judgement proof" long ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X