Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
    Yes of course you're right, the left should eschew the purity politics of scrutinising the actions and statements of elected politicians rather than mindlessly cheerleading for them.

I know it's not a vote of confidence in ICE. But it's still a vote to restore funding to ICE.
    That’s why she’s in Congress and you’re posting. Breaking the party whip on HR1, a DHS bill that doesn’t fund the wall, is a good way to land yourself in obscurity when you’re the star freshman of the incoming class.

The fact you’re harping on about this and not her vote (with just two other Dems) against Democratic implemented austerity is excellent evidence of not seeing the forest for the trees.

Comment

It's silly for Dems to stop themselves doing what their opponents always do. But was that actually a vote for austerity?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
        It's silly for Dems to stop themselves doing what their opponents always do. But was that actually a vote for austerity?
        Paygo? Yes, Paygo is absolutely a vote for austerity. Balanced budgets are a sham. I'm not even talking MMT.

Comment

Ah, OK. I was thinking it was balancing the current budget.

Comment

There is no current budget. Hence the shutdown.

Comment

Also, I'd note that the paygo rule can be waived as necessary by House Dems, unlike the already existing statute. It's a bad rule, but it's not crippling to fiscal policy in the way that statutory paygo and the debt ceiling are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                There is no current budget. Hence the shutdown.
                I mean "current budget" in the sense of spending that isn't capital/investment.

Comment

I still have no idea how a country that practically fetishises free speech could even consider this. Even with a right wing Supreme Court surely this must be obviously and ludicrously unconstitutional https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c6616f7ce6d9

Comment

Comment

Will this be the first time since LBJ over Vietnam and Nixon over Watergate that a POTUS has made a personal televised address to purely bolster his own base in support of a dishonest position, using populism to combat congressional opposition?

It's not how you would negotiate with Congress.

Comment

Reagan did it, though a number were done by radio.

Among the ones I recall were those pushing "tax reform", the "war on drugs" (with Nancy) and various apologia over Iran-Contra.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          I still have no idea how a country that practically fetishises free speech could even consider this. Even with a right wing Supreme Court surely this must be obviously and ludicrously unconstitutional https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c6616f7ce6d9
                          It is astounding, and I don't see how it doesn't get challenged in the courts if it passes.

Comment

It would be fun to see Kavanaugh trying to make an argument that it is constitutional.

Comment

It seems that Trump is going to play the national emergency card tonight. Logically it should be political suicide but these are strange times. Any predictions on the outcome?

Comment

All of the leaks so far today is that he is NOT going to declare an emergency

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  All of the leaks so far today is that he is NOT going to declare an emergency
                                  OK, that's my bad for relying on Twitter

Comment

It is of course possible that he will, but there is a pretty strong legal consensus that he would get slapped down by the first District Court anyone filed in (drafts have been prepared) in much the same way as he was on Travel Ban 1.0. I’m not at all sure that they want their basis for any decision to be subject to judicial review. There’s also a lot of chatter that GOP Senators have told him that it would be bad politics.

it is hard for me to see it being anything other than a shitshow

Comment

He was definitely floating some trial balloons, sending out Lewandowski and Sanders with talking points to defend property grabs and other overreaches (Lewandowski compared it on MSNBC to building freeways).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        It is of course possible that he will, but there is a pretty strong legal consensus that he would get slapped down by the first District Court anyone filed in (drafts have been prepared) in much the same way as he was on Travel Ban 1.0. I’m not at all sure that they want their basis for any decision to be subject to judicial review. There’s also a lot of chatter that GOP Senators have told him that it would be bad politics.

it is hard for me to see it being anything other than a shitshow
                                        I'd guessed that he'd declare "National Emergency", allow the Senate to vote for a nice long continuing resolution, then get slapped down in the courts. That would mean they'd get out of the shutdown bind, and be able to blame it on the courts rather themselves.

Comment

They don’t need an emergency for Eminent Domain, but it would be hilarious for them to try that on a bunch of Texas ranchers.

Comment

They need an emergency to artificially create the fake impression of "funding for the wall" for a long enough gap for a budget to get passed.

At that point the funding can disappear again, but Trump hasn't "caved" to the Democrats.

Comment

They controlled all three branches for two years. The only thing that has happened is that they have lost control of the House.

Comment

Trump could be damaged by having hyped up a state of emergency only to have been forced to back down from it. Makes him look weak with Fox and chums, ultimately.

Comment

Paul Manafort was a naughty boy not just before the Trump campaign but during the Trump campaign, and in contact with Russian spies, and in relation to Trump Campaign material.

We know this because Paul Manafort's lawyers seem to be utterly incompetent and unable to properly redact content in a court filing.

Comment

Not Nate Silver's biggest fan. But this one is good.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1082777389460004864?s=19

Comment

Working...
                                                    X