No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The talk on the radio this morning is that Manafort's lawyers are in constant contact with Trump's while working out the plea. The story was that he is being crushed by legal fees which I believe was accompanied by a solo on the worlds smallest violin.

It does go to show I don't really ever want any court stuff to come into my life as it seems really easy to burn through millions in a few months and I don't even have anything approaching that.

Comment

You obviously haven't committed enough lucrative crimes

Comment

He's still working on that 'change for a twenty' scam at his local Kwik-E-Mart.

Comment

Well, here's what he's copping to:
          Prosecutors in the DC case against Manafort filed a Superseding Criminal Information on Friday morning in the Washington D.C. case, charging Manafort with a single count of conspiracy against the United States and a single count of conspiracy to obstruct justice through witness tampering. Those two charges appear to be the basis for a plea agreement.

Comment

Popehat thoughts here Key post:
            https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1040596254005256192

That may be so, but if it is I think they overestimate how much Trump gives a shit about a politically painful narrative.

Comment

Why's Manafort agreed to it if it's something designed to be hard to pardon?

Comment

Possibly he's less naive than the prosecutors about Trump's susceptibility to shame.

Comment

Exactly

There is no such thing as a "hard to pardon" conviction if the President in question cares nothing about political fallout and the opprobrium of the commentariat.

Comment

No matter what it is, if Trump loses in 2020, he'll still pardon him on the way out the door. No political risk at that point, and frankly, shame doesn't enter into it. "Conspiracy against the United States" is apparently on the cards, and why would that particularly bother DT?

Comment

I’m sure that isn’t the deal that Manafort thinks he has. He doesn’t intend to do 2 years inside, even in Allenwood.

Comment

Hoo boy

He’s cooperating

Comment

Stop it. Right now. (to ursus, but you know, to Mr Mueller too.)

Comment

Oooo... well, now...

That means Manafort has something to offer.

Comment

Though perhaps not on 45 himself.

Comment

Countdown to Trump tweetstorm begins now.

Comment

Legal experts quickly spun the deal as a win for all the parties involved. Manafort gets a potentially shorter sentence and lessens his legal bills. Trump avoids several weeks of bad headlines ahead of the midterm elections about his corrupt former campaign aide. And Mueller — faced with Trump's constant claims that his probe is a witch hunt — gets to show yet again that his charges are not fabricated and can now divert resources to other elements of his Russia probe. — Politico

I've trouble seeing how Trump benefits, as claimed in the quote. Surely the speculation surrounding what Manafort might say will just ramp up the negative publicity?

Comment

One thing that is certainly inside baseball but is nonetheless incredibly impressive to those of us who work in these spheres for a living is how Mueller has been able to keep his entire team from leaking a drop of anything to anyone. Their discipline in that regard is remarkable, especially in the context of how things are usually done in New York and DC.

Comment

Amor, I would agree that that is clearly Administration-friendly spin, and very weak sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Exactly

There is no such thing as a "hard to pardon" conviction if the President in question cares nothing about political fallout and the opprobrium of the commentariat.
                                        Republicans more widely ought to care a lot about it though. They're not getting anywhere much hitting Mueller.

Won't they have enough on Trump to stop him?

Comment

In 2020?

He isn't going to be indicted while he is in office, and there is very little appetite for impeachment, let alone conviction.

Comment

Stop him pardoning Manafort, I mean.

Comment

You funny . . .

Comment

They can't "focus his mind" somehow?

Comment

They can't "focus his mind" somehow
                                                  Do you really need us to answer that?

Comment

I didn't mean intellectually.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X