• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

Incandenza wrote: Rinse Pubis:
    https://twitter.com/mollyhooper/stat...04116659851264

@mollyhooper

.@Reince exiting gop cloakroom tells me: "The president stepped up and helped punt the ball into the end zone."
    (for the non-gridiron fans: punting the ball into the end zone is exactly what you don't want to do)
    It's not the worst outcome, but it's not a particularly good outcome.

I'm beyond words. I never imagine America would turn into a shitty Banana Republic, but it has. Really, Mexico seems to have more going for it than we do right now.

Comment

Trump's Card

The question I'm left with right now is this:

Will the AHCA make US healthcare actually worse than it was pre-ACA? Given that the AHCA seems to put all kinds of utterly terrible subsidies in all the wrong places to completely screw up the insurance market, it seems possible that the Republicans may have achieved the incredible and created worse healthcare than was available in the US in 2006.

Comment

Trump's Card

Yeah, if the meth/coke/snack/residual weed selling cartels can be controlled (which will only happen when the US changes its drug/crime/social policy, so mibees never) Mexico probably does have more of a chance over the next 80 years.

Comment

Trump's Card

San Bernardhinault wrote: The question I'm left with right now is this:

Will the AHCA make US healthcare actually worse than it was pre-ACA? Given that the AHCA seems to put all kinds of utterly terrible subsidies in all the wrong places to completely screw up the insurance market, it seems possible that the Republicans may have achieved the incredible and created worse healthcare than was available in the US in 2006.
          Have we no hope for the Senate to neuter this or laugh in its face?

Comment

Trump's Card

There's lots of hope.

Every single major health care-related organisation opposes it.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Senate is going to change this. I don't know if they'll change it enough, but they'll change it. I'm hoping that they can't get 50 votes for a really bad version of something like it, but I have no confidence.

I've no idea how much the Senate can change, or how long they can spend changing it. But my guess is that they're going to try and kick it into as long grass as they can find.

Comment

Trump's Card

The fact that they aren't even going to consider it without a CBO score is a positive first sign

Comment

Trump's Card

And now they say that they won't consider it all, but rather write their own bill.

Comment

Trump's Card

ursus arctos wrote: And now they say that they won't consider it all, but rather write their own bill.
                    What does this even mean?

Couldn't they have done this without this AHCA vote at all?

And will it now require a filibuster-proof majority?

Or can they still somehow do this under reconciliation, and only because the AHCA passed?

Comment

Trump's Card

Yes, they could have (and presumably have been working on something).

They are trying to do it under reconciliation, so only need 51

Reconciliation will be very hard, given positions GOP Senators have already taken.

Decent explainer from the Post.

Comment

Trump's Card

Interesting.

I wonder if there's still a time limit on reconciliation, given that it's part of the budget cycle? So if the Senate draws this out too long, they have to wait another year?

Comment

Trump's Card

The fact that there is now a continuing resolution through September may mitigate that.

In any event, the only thing certain at this point is that this is going to run for a while, with a lot of ups and downs.

Comment

Trump's Card

ursus arctos wrote: There's lots of hope.

Every single major health care-related organisation opposes it.
                            It has about 18% support in polls. I saw a thing this morning about that Al Franken's comments that more Americans have seen ghosts than support this plan. But depending on the polls, he might have been overstating its popularity/understating ghost sightings.

It's really remarkable that we continue elect a group of genuinely unqualified terrible people who are completely out of touch with their constituents. I don't think the press or the population really grasps just how bad these people are and how poorly they represent us.

Of course, the system couldn't be much better designed to elect the worst possible people.

All this talk of prexisting conditions makes me think that I couldn't move to another country even if I want to. They'd look at my medical records and say "fuck that, we don't want to pay for that." It's not much in the grand scheme, but it's not zero by any stretch.

Comment

Trump's Card

Not technically a Trump issue, but just another step along the road to utter fucking madness in the USA:
                              Arizona decides that schools should be allowed to hire people who have no idea how to teach to, erm, teach.

Comment

Trump's Card

ad hoc wrote: Not technically a Trump issue, but just another step along the road to utter fucking madness in the USA:
                                Arizona decides that schools should be allowed to hire people who have no idea how to teach to, erm, teach.
                                Michael Gove brought that in ages ago- teachers in academies and free schools don't need teaching qualifications.

Comment

Trump's Card

I don't think teachers in private schools have ever needed them.

Comment

Trump's Card

Anyone see his #startrek related tweet yesterday? Inadvertently, quite amusing...

Comment

Trump's Card

I just watched a bit of his weekly address. He looks incandescent with rage.

Comment

Trump's Card

No, he's normally that colour.

Comment

Trump's Card

Ha, yes he does always have a high colour, but look at him.

He is snarling, barking and sneering at the people who dare to criticise him. No attempt to be conciliatory and reassuring, he's confrontational.

It is extraordinary.

Comment

Trump's Card

Etienne is correct.

In most/all states, there is no general requirement that teachers in private schools be certified.

Comment

Trump's Card

Paul Ryan making a rookie error.

Comment

Trump's Card

Looks like the fossil fuel cunts will have their way with the Mango Shitgibbon and totally fuck the planet.

Comment

Trump's Card

Comey sacked

Comment

Trump's Card

So it's not the Russia thing he's firing him over. Ohhh nooo.

He's firing him due him doing a bad job... by disclosing the Hillary investigation? Hahahaha.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X