Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
    I wonder what Leonard would have thought of Trump using his song.

Maybe...

It's coming from the sorrow in the street
    The holy places where the races meet
    From the homicidal bitchin'
    That goes down in every kitchen
    To determine who will serve and who will eat
    From the wells of disappointment
    Where the women kneel to pray
    For the grace of God in the desert here
    And the desert far away:
    Democracy is coming to the USA

Comment

would Trump's use of music constitute copyright infringement?

from what I can gather he is using the music at an event - rather than a broadcast - which at least in the UK would be an entirely different situation.

i appreciate a covid rally might be different.

Comment

The campaign needs a licence in order to play the song at a public event, and it isn't at all clear that they have one.

Traditionally, use of such music in the US was covered by blanket licences campaigns (and ballparks, roller rinks, malls, etc.) would obtain from the likes of ASCAP and BMI for a relatively modest fee, but in the last decade or so those organisations have begun to allow artists to restrict the use of their music for political purposes.

Neil Young is claiming that he never licenced his music to ASCAP or BMI in the first place, and that the campaign therefore is operating illegally. I'm not sure of the exact legal basis of the Cohen Estate's claim, but it is worth noting that the campaign has never even proven that they have any kind of licence for anything.

Comment

This makes the Estate's case significantly more robust

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1299853834915844096[/TWEET]

Comment

"...if the organizers had requested to use Cohen’s 2016 song “You Want it Darker” then “we might have considered approval.” Nice one.

Comment

One of my enduring Reagan-related memories was being at an Oakland A's baseball game when they asked for a minute's silence to honor his passing. There was about ten seconds before there was a deafening hail of boos.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1300628519148548098

Comment

Ingraham worrying about the media there rather than the POTUS giving yet more evidence of being a sociopath. Did Fox put that out live? Maybe the campaign will consider only allowing him to do recorded segments that Ingraham or Carlson can edit?

Comment

Talking about "chokers" in the police force is an astonishingly poor choice of words!

Daniel Dale is CNN's fact checker. He did an amazing summary of Trump's acceptance speech at the White House, reeling off the exaggerations and falsehoods for about two minutes while Anderson Cooper sat there drinking his coffee.

Comment

Dale is brilliant. He cut his teeth for years at the Toronto Star making Rob Ford's life miserable. I hope he becomes a big name.

Comment

If armed police had the yips, surely they'd actually be failing to shoot people in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          Dale is brilliant. He cut his teeth for years at the Toronto Star making Rob Ford's life miserable. I hope he becomes a big name.

Ah, didn't realise he was a Canuck. Excellent.

Here's his deconstruction of Trump's speech:

Comment

He went to or watched pretty much every Trump rally during the 2016 election and live tweeted them, and I guess he has continued to do so. I really wonder that what does to your mental health.

Comment

Here's some of his earlier work:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._its_vile.html

Comment

His brain continues to grow more powerful

[URL="https://twitter.com/Politidope/status/1300913578254446593"]https://twitter.com/Politidope/statu...13578254446593[/URL]

Comment

Whaaa... ? Stream of unconsciousness doesn't begin to describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    Some days I'm particularly happy I live here...

Trump Hotel in Vancouver closes permanently - The Globe and Mail
                                    https://www.theglobeandmail.com
                                    TA Hotel Management has filed for bankruptcy, stating it had total liabilities of $4.8-million and assets of only $1.1-million

As a follow up. A proposal is to be put before city council that the hotel be used to house some of Vancouver's considerable homeless population. What a good idea! I'm sure Mr Trump would fully endorse it.

Comment

One of those domestic terrorists earlier this year

Comment

I've been looking for Gene Wilder singing "Beautiful Soup" on the version of Alice in Wonderland in which he played the Mock Turtle. But sadly, youtube is coming up empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          Whaaa... ? Stream of unconsciousness doesn't begin to describe it.
                                          I'm gonna go with "swirling vortex of entropy".

Comment

https://twitter.com/philippesands/status/1301212372242137090?s=20

Comment

How can the ICC be biased against Americans when Kissinger and Bush II, among among others, have never been indicted (AFAIK)?

What Pompeo is really saying is that the US should have immunity because it's the white (supremacist) guy in the room and Israel should have immunity as the white supremacist guy's best mate and fellow mass murderer of Muslims.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-09-2020, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                How can the ICC be biased against Americans when Kissinger and Bush II, among among others, have never been indicted (AFAIK)?

What Pompeo is really saying is that the US should have immunity because it's the white (supremacist) guy in the room and Israel should have immunity as the white supremacist guy's best mate and fellow mass murderer of Muslims.
                                                Yes, but the ICC should be abolished and we should instead have "truth and reconciliation committes". That's the way forward.

Comment

Choppy waters on Lake Travis "likely caused by large numbers of vessels moving closely together"

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54045115

(And an incredible lack of life preservers being worn?

Trump's core support)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X