No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does today's SCOTUS ruling also mean that a sitting POTUS is not immune from prosecution for tax offences while in office, or if that's still a totally separate issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Hmm. His mentor, Roy Cohn, was well known for never paying taxes — nor even having a bank account or credit card — and he spent the last months of his repulsive life dealing with the IRS. Taxes tend to be what screw most grifters and thugs in the end, you can't kill them and they never go away.
      Imagine what kind of human being you'd be if your two mentors in life were Fred Trump Sr and Roy Cohn.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Imagine what kind of human being you'd be if your two mentors in life were Fred Trump Sr and Roy Cohn.
        We don't have to imagine. The reality is being played out daily right in front of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Does today's SCOTUS ruling also mean that a sitting POTUS is not immune from prosecution for tax offences while in office, or if that's still a totally separate issue?
          It's a different issue.

SCOTUS has never ruled on the DOJ opinion that a sitting president is immune from prosecution, but that interpretation is certainly not constitutionally mandated (and can be reversed by any subsequent administration).

Both rulings today implicitly rejected the incredibly broad immunity that Trump's lawyers had claimed.
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-07-2020, 17:02.

Comment

Michael Cohen is being sent back to jail. He's somehow fucked up his COVID early release.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1281303523171414016

Comment

Hmmmm. That's apparently the line his lawyer is selling, but the NYT says it's likely related to the restaurant.

Would you trade your 'right' to publish a book during home confinement for 18+ months in the clink, away from your wife and kids?

Comment

Also, has he been disbarred?

Comment

Haberman writes for the NYT . . .

He was disbarred in New York in February 2019

Comment

Sure, it's just that his lawyer sounded fishy: "Cohen was also reportedly spotted eating at a New York City restaurant recently. When asked if that incident was related to his detainment Thursday, Levine told reporters outside the courthouse, "I would leave that to your viewers."

"I think it's probably the language in the agreement, which, again, I don't know who gets stripped of their First Amendment rights, but it probably has to do with the optics of everything," he said.

Comment

The Bureau of Prisons is quoted as saying that Cohen "refused the conditions of his home confinement".

Trying to twist going to a restaurant the night before into such a "refusal" is going to hurt your back.

Comment

Surely a tell-all book could wait until after his period of home confinement, no? I mean, I'm speculating of course. Surely he's going to appeal the 'gag' conditions in court.

Comment

That aside, surely the restaurant visit was enough to scotch the conditions of his release, no?

Comment

Not necessarily. "Home confinement" often is not that literal.

And he hasn't accepted the conditions, so an "appeal" isn't ripe.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Surely a tell-all book could wait until after his period of home confinement, no? I mean, I'm speculating of course. Surely he's going to appeal the 'gag' conditions in court.
                                I think the advance he could command would gradually fall. Watergate literature was spun out for most of the 70s IIRC but it's a gamble thinking people will give a shit about Russiagate once Trump is out of office, assuming Cohen thinks Trump will lose in November. If Trump goes on trial, it will be for different crimes and I don't know how many of those Cohen could shed light on.

Comment

Roger Stone has received a pardon. The Penguin walks!

Comment

Trump's pride in having "aced" his cognitive test, and how astonished the doctors were with his performance, is hilarious.

Apparently one of the questions is to subtract 7 from 100.

Comment

You have to realise that it is the first time that he took a test on his own since primary school

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                        Roger Stone has received a pardon. The Penguin walks!

One of the Addams Family's unwelcome relatives

Comment

this thread is worth a read

https://twitter.com/adamdavidson/status/1282289489973514241?s=20

Comment

Doral has public accounts?

Comment

Yeah, that is an issue

​​​​​​Given the timing, it is pretty clear that a large proportion of the money was coming from the former USSR

Comment

Republicans are registering at higher rates than Democrats due to the pandemic suppressing voter registration efforts on campuses and other places.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...tration-355152

Comment

The party affiliates are a bullshit demographic. It is a whole mix depending on state of people wanting to dick with primaries at one end to dyed in the wool at the other end.

The independents decide everything. I could put a good guess on 80% of my street who are Independents. A good 50% could easily have an affiliation as they will 100% vote one way but cannot be arsed with the discoverable nature of things and the shit that comes with it.

Comment

Absolutely true

Comment

Working...
                                                    X