Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Served cold....

[URL]https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1180559858699030529?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I am amazed. Well done, Mitt. That also makes it non-partisan in both houses.

Comment

He was always the most likely. Utah is different, largely because of the dominance of the LDS Church and the ubiquity of the mission experience (and the role of migrants in the church).

Now watch Manchin or Jones go and ruin it.

Comment

Jones said that he's voting to convict (on both counts). Sinema and Manchin are the two you need to look out for, particularly Manchin.

Comment

Romney should provide some helpful cover for Sinema.

Manchin will always be a snake.

Comment

To be fair to Manchin, if he wasn't a vile snake he wouldn't have got elected in the first place in WV and we'd have 54 Republican senators.

Comment

This is true

Comment

Manchin voted guilty.

Comment

Over now.

Comment

Hmm. Occam’s app

[URL]https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1225167351617712128?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I think you meant the other thread.

[URL]https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1225167293518315521[/URL]

Comment

The culchie appeasement of the Electoral College/2 seats per state Senate is the worst thing ever.

Comment

We never would have gotten a Constitution without it.

It was designed to be anti-democratic and does a good job

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              I am amazed. Well done, Mitt. That also makes it non-partisan in both houses.
                              "Only" on the first count though. Not sure why Romney split his vote.

Comment

So Trump is now the only President to have ever had a member of his own party vote to convict him in an impeachment trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

"Only" on the first count though. Not sure why Romney split his vote.
                                  He still harbours hope of getting to exercise broad presidential powers himself.

Comment

He does have a very fine, Presidential even, head of hair.

Comment

And now Trump will be out for his revenge.

Comment

I assume there's no double jeopardy on impeachment/conviction? Is it theoretically possible that Trump could get reelected and the Senate could change hands and he could be thrown out in his second term? (or third term)

Comment

It has never been tested in court, but the legal consensus is that he can definitely be impeached again (even this term), but not with regard to the same allegations

Comment

By "same allegations" I assume you mean the content of the "abuse of power" allegation and not the label as such, which they made such a meal of. I realize that's an absurd notion but that appears to be where we are. The pres can abuse power all he wants because legally there's no such thing. Or something.

Comment

There's more disagreement about that, though the majority agrees with you.

Then again, as there is no prescribed list of "high crimes and misdemeanors", there isn't a compelling reason to re-use a "charge".

Comment

Do you think their choice of how to frame the two articles was misguided or politically/legally ill-advised?

Comment

I don't see any particular reason double jeopardy should (legally) apply at all if it's not explicitly prohibited in the relevant article of the constitution. It's not a criminal trial. Politically it would probably be inadvisable. Not to mention practically impossible.

Comment

If the Dems retook the Senate and cared about integrity, they'd re-impeach and convict him. He remains guilty and the people who elected them and threw out the Republicans would presumably support it. Not that it will ever happen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X