No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Trump plans to sign an executive order on Wednesday targeting what he sees as anti-Semitism on college campuses by threatening to withhold federal money from educational institutions that fail to combat discrimination, three administration officials said on Tuesday.

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a nationality, not just a religion, to trigger a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity to discuss the matter before the announcement.

In signing the order, Mr. Trump will use his executive power to take action where Congress has not, essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change at a time of rising tension on campuses over anti-Semitism as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement against Israel.

But critics have complained that such a policy could be used to stifle free speech and legitimate opposition to Israel’s policies toward Palestinians in the name of fighting anti-Semitism. The definition of anti-Semitism to be used in the order, which matches the one used by the State Department, has been criticized as too open-ended and sweeping. For instance, it describes as anti-Semitic “denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination,” and offers as an example of such behavior “claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/u...tics&smtyp=cur

Comment

Why is Trump retweeting Roma Downey?

Comment

The Supremes have agreed to hear the Trump tax disclosure case. I was almost convinced by Ursus's argument that they'd choose to ignore it because they really didn't want to be held responsible for the outcome either way.

My guess is that the 4 non-Roberts conservatives are so in Trump's pocket that they had to do this, to at least delay the release. But now they have to come down on the side of a President above the law - which they won't like when Bernie's President 6 months later, or pissing off Trump supporters.

Comment

It must be hard to be called on your bullshit even marginally and three score and ten of getting away with murder

[URL="https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1207355923573989376?s=21"]https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1207355923573989376[/URL]

Comment

Did someone ask how someone can be doing nothing and assaulting America at the same time?

Comment

He's obsessed with his legacy apparently (see below) in a way Clinton, ever the pragmatist never was. Win or lose this hurts. Which is no more than he deserves.
              Years from now, impeachment will be one of the first things students are taught about the 45th president.

Comment

Trump impeached.

Watching live results. For about 2 minutes, a Republican voted to impeach, then it was removed from the screen. I expect s/he was taken out the back and erased.

Comment

Whoop! Hope this leads somewhere.

Comment

Tulsi Gabbard votes "Present" on both counts

Comment

So is the end result still going to be a pass from the GOP, eventually?

Comment

Absolutely

Meanwhile,

[URL="https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1207490281127448577?s=21"]https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1207490281127448577[/URL]

Comment

The split screen coverage, with the House vote and Trump rally held simultaneously, was one of the strangest things to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Tulsi Gabbard votes "Present" on both counts
                            What does that mean? Abstention?

Comment

Essentially yes

She claimed that after reading the 650+ page committee report that she was unable to vote either for or against

Comment

Her words are belting.

I am standing in the center and have decided to vote Present. I could not in good conscience vote against impeachment because I believe President Trump is guilty of wrongdoing. I also could not in good conscience vote for impeachment because removal of a sitting President must not be the culmination of a partisan process, fueled by tribal animosities that have so gravely divided our country
                                The last sentence has nothing to do with the one preceding it.

Comment

She'll cross the floor soon. Wingnut.

Comment

Her reply makes no sense.

Comment

Of course it does. She is positioning herself as the centrist "voice of reason".

Comment

"We have to convict this crazed drug lord because he's a raving criminal who must be taken off the streets, but I won't do it while his gang members and the dealers who are dependent on him for their lives and livelihoods support him!"

Comment

I doubt that Pelosi's decision to delay sending the articles to the Senate in an attempt to have McConnell take the process a bit more seriously will have any real world effect, butnitnis an interesting tactic nonetheless.

Comment

I'm assuming it's just an attempt to highlight that the Senate is deliberately setting itself up to be partial in advance of the trial. Show that they're not taking this seriously and you can claim that the acquittal is meaningless. She obviously doesn't expect McConnell to change. It might be an attempt to influence John Roberts when he comes to preside over the trial, but I doubt it's even that.

Comment

It is a great play. Partly because there is nothing to say that it cannot be done, which is a nice bit of gamesmanship. So now you have Republicans hooting and hollering that Nancy isn't letting them vote on impeaching the President and trying to bury it under Christmas.

Comment

I think she has a tiny hope of getting Murkowski, Collins and two A.N. Others to put some pressure on Mitch to take it a bit more seriously. Recall that while conviction requires a 2/3 majority, the rules are set by a simple majority.

Though she clearly isn't holding her breath on that. It does allow for more light to shine on the sheer venality of the GOP position and appears to annoy 45 a great deal, so we have that going for us.

Comment

I think denying Trump his acquittal would be hilarious, and might cause him to melt down completely. I doubt Pelosi can hold on for 11 months, but even doing it for just a couple of weeks is entertaining.

Comment

Did someone say melt down?

[URL="https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1207997319821615105?s=21"]https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1207997319821615105[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X