No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Roger Stone trial wraps up today and the coverage of it has been abysmal.

Comment

Been lurking on this thread for a while... I thought you chaps may be interested in this article:

​​​​​​https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n20/judith...ius-or-suicide

Comment

I know this marks be as a minority, and also probably as a naif, but I find the "We're all doomed" attitude very grating. Particularly as we're not doomed. It's worth remembering, amongst other things, that Fox's peak viewership is well under 1% of the population. It's worth remembering that Fox's viewership are ancient and decrepit and liable to die from heart attack at any moment, that investing all their cash in gold and bunkers is not going to save them from just dying of old age and bad diet. It may take a few more years for the reactionary arsehole ancients who get fed their crap by the equally ancient Adelson and Murdoch to lose their grip on power, but the younger generations are just so, so much better than even my generation, let alone the ones who preceded us. The future's absolutely fine. The present's a bit messed up, but we'll get past that.

Comment

I am very much with you

Comment

It isn't going to be quick or easy, and is by no means assured (particularly given the fierce resistance of a Trumpist judiciary that will be with us for decades, but it is possible.

As SB notes, the demographic trends are favourable, though they must be balanced against the macro impact of income inequality and climate change, as well as the reactionaries' genuine glee in using any means necessary to preserve their privileges.

Comment

I think the pervasive influence and power of Fox is overstated. It's quoted and referenced by 45, obviously, but he's representative of their demographic: ossified, stupid, racist geriatrics. That makes it temporarily a big deal. I just think that it's an influence that decays rapidly after November 2020. I certainly don't view it as a meaningful indicator for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                I just think that it's an influence that decays rapidly after November 2020.
                Bugger. I was having a good day until I realised I was going to decay rapidly after next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Bugger. I was having a good day until I realised I was going to decay rapidly after next year.
                  I'm about as certain as I can be that you're not in the racist, stupid, ossifying demographic, Amor. And, anyway, I was referring to the influence of Fox News - not of your age cohort, whose influence will last much longer and deeper.

Comment

Just going back to the impeachmenty stuff - I still find it impossibly baffling that anyone thought it was a good idea to let Gym Jordan lead the Republican response on this. It's not like the Republican house caucus is short of shouty stupid blowhards who could do the job without the baggage.

Comment

45 likes him and the entire strategy is to appeal to their audience of one.

The same goes for Nunes.

Two very important reasons that demographic trends have not as fully been reflected in electoral outcomes as some expected are the massive influence of dark money on every aspect of the political process and the reactionaries' absolute commitment to voter suppression and gerrymandering (often funded by dark money). And that's before one gets to the electoral college.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I'm about as certain as I can be that you're not in the racist, stupid, ossifying demographic, Amor. And, anyway, I was referring to the influence of Fox News - not of your age cohort, whose influence will last much longer and deeper.
                        Please don't take my lame attempt at a joke too seriously. However I do find myself wondering how many of my contemporaries I have had no, or only minimal, contact with in recent years are now Trump or Brexit supporters. I know of some, and wonder whether they were always that stupid, and I just didn't notice, or it's a recent affliction.

Comment

I suppose so. My brother in law is not what you call worldly (he only leaves Bedfordshire when work requires it, and doesn't have a computer.) OTOH I wouldn't want to call him stupid, but I might have to. Until last week he wasn't going to vote in the UK election at all because "politicians are all crooks." But this past Sunday he announced that "Corbyn was a Communist" and he was going to vote for Boris because "at least he's trying to do something." I mean what can you do with someone like that apart from having them melted down to make glue?

Comment

I have a school friend who appears to have emigrated to the US and become something of a Trumper, which surprised me somewhat. Like all Trumpers, he seems to have a real problem with Hillary Clinton.

I also have a Canadian-born cousin who made his fortune in property in LA and now lives in Baja California, spending his time marlin fishing. His wife made her cash from clothing California's prisoners and makes my school friend seem almost a commie... She also doesn't seem to see the irony is slagging off poor Mexicans trying to get into the States to make a living whilst living in luxury in Mexico and making occassional trips back to California.

Comment

Roger Stone guilty on ALL counts.

Comment

Roger Stone guilty on all counts.

Will be interesting to see the timing on his pardon.

Comment

Who knew that pissing off your judge at every turn was a bad idea?

Comment

Though the idea was to appeal to the guy with the pardon power

Comment

He was apparently mooching around for it on Alex Jones' show last night.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Will be interesting to see the timing on his pardon.
                                        Does one wait until after sentencing to pardon one's thug?

Comment

With any luck he'll get shivved on the first day for threatening a dog.

Comment

There isn't any established practice, though as Berba notes, I'm sure that Stone isn't particularly keen on doing time.

Comment

I just hope it spoils his Christmas and he had to spend a lot of his dirty money on lawyers. I've no real doubt he'll be pardoned, unless Trump dies of his heart attack in the meantime.

Comment

If I can dream, of a better land...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  There isn't any established practice, though as Berba notes, I'm sure that Stone isn't particularly keen on doing time.
                                                  So there doesn't need to be an actual sentence on the books for Trump to pardon that sentence, if you know what I mean?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X