No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends what you mean by pointless. It may not end up with him being removed from office. That doesn't mean it's pointless.

Comment

It must mean his past behaviour will be under scrutiny into next year's re-election campaign. Which should cause perspiration on the brows of Republican senators.

Comment

A short and incomplete list of things that it does, even if Trump is not convicted

- Allows all kinds of people to be put under oath (or in prison if they refuse to testify)
        - Puts Trump's actions more explicitly in the spotlight for the next few months heading towards election day
        - Allows democracy to at least theoretically still function normally rather than having the gatekeepers throw up their hands and say "we can't do anything about corruption, the US Presidency has literally no checks on it"
        - If the house votes for impeachment, forces Republican Senators to either vote against the overwhelming evidence of corruption, or vote against Trump, which is a whole lot of damage for them in upcoming campaigns

Comment

There is a lot that could happen before that becomes a possibility, but I think that Mitch would be under significant pressure from the White House to forego unprecedented procedural shenanigans that would have the effect of depriving the incumbent of an acquittal.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1176596185232154625

Comment

That is indeed the question, though there has been virtually no evidence of that being the case before the vote this afternoon.

Comment

Maguire testimony in progress. This feels more like Watergate than the Mueller hearings did in that there is at least one smoking gun, already in the public domain.

Incredibly, Maguire has just said that Trump instructed him to testify, which shows how immune Trump thought he was prior to the last few days. Over-confidence, hubris?

Comment

Devin Nunes is loathsome, partisan horse's ass.

Comment

My local piece of shit congressman is already doing the "let's not bicker and argue about who killed who" schtick on this. It just made me so frustrated I sent him a long email he can ignore. But maybe, just maybe, some staffer will read it and think "is my boss helping a fascist? Should I look up 'fascist?'" Not likely. But one can hope.

Comment

“‘I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistle-blower the information? Because that’s close to a spy,’ he continued. ‘You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now.’”
                      This is fine...

Nothing to worry about here for future whistleblowers.

Certainly not that the most powerful man in the country is suggesting that they get sent to the electric chair...

Comment

https://twitter.com/PeterAtlantic/status/1177291574474158082

Comment

Probably even a year ago, he was widely thought of ex-NYC-mayor-during-9/11 Giuiliani. He wasn't failed-Presidential-candidate Giuiliani, or right-wing-nutjob Giuiliani. I think now people will not think of him in 9/11 terms any more, just as a spectacular idiot who is doing the corrupt President's dirty work, and doing it very badly.

Comment

Like Trump, the bloom was off his rose much more quickly here.

Leaving his second wife via a televised press conference had a lot to do with the scales falling from peoples' eyes.

Comment

I highly recommend that anyone interested read the whistleblower complaint (it's only 9 pages, with wide margins), but if you want a precis before or after, this isn't bad at all.

[URL="https://twitter.com/jacobwe/status/1177366998449156096?s=21"]https://twitter.com/jacobwe/status/1177366998449156096[/URL]
                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 26-09-2019, 23:58.

Comment

With the possible exception of disseminating classified information "This would be a crime if they weren't president" would seem to be precisely appropriate grounds for impeachment.

Comment

The interesting bit for me in the Vanity Fair piece (by Gabriel Sherman, who knows more about Fox and has better internal sources than anyone) is the idea that Lachlan Murdoch, encouraged by Paul Ryan (now serving on the Board), is actively planning for a post-Trump Fox News, which isn't a simple endeavour at all.

Comment

OK, I've got a misspelling, a malapropism, erroneous capitalisation, oodles of poor grammar and a pisspoor pun, which is quite impressive for a single tweet.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

The lies

CNN never said anything about the spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        The lies

CNN never said anything about the spelling

Dammit!

Comment

It is interesting how all of this whistleblower's second hand information seems to also be, you know, being proven to be true. Meantime the whistleblower came under criticism on the radio this morning by a Representative from Kentucky (R) because they were hiding their identity. The journalist took him to task on this in sharp order, but it hints to the levels of obfuscation the GOP are working at to take over the narrative.

Comment

Perhaps in an ideal world this scandal would take down both Trump and Biden.

Comment

I wasn't going to say it out loud

Comment

I mean, away from all the noise, MIGHT Biden have some questions to answer here?

Comment

The Republicans are struggling to get their story straight, which is a sign of their panic.

Most Senators are saying that they haven't read the complaint, but that won't work much longer (it shouldn't have worked for more than an hour). Then you have the 'normal diplomacy" idiots, the "whatabout the Bidens" crowd, the "Deep State" derp squad, and a host of other mindless takes.

To the extent there is a strategy, it is to throw so much crap at the issue that people throw up their hands and lose interest.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X