No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to speak for TG, but I think he's explained himself well here - people who were brought to the US as slaves are a special case. Almost every non English Protestant group has had a shit time in the US to some degree or other. But they all came by choice. They had agency, which slaves did not. If you draw the line at "was persecuted a bit in the US" then pretty much everyone in the US except me (as a white, very recent, immigrant) would have a claim on reparations.

There are logistical problems - how you identify descendants of slavery; how you pay reparations; and whether you divide it differently between those with one ancestor and those with, say, nothing but slaves 6 generations ago in their ancestry. But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action

As for the Caribbean descendants of slaves, they have a legitimate case for reparations, but those would be against the British or French governments, not the American one.

Comment

Yeah I got that, I was just curious about the precise line, because the next 100 years were not good in most of the US in an explicit discrimination sense. It seems fair enough, though given the lengths to which the UK govt went to utterly shaft people who actually remembered being in Kenyan concentration camps, I wish them luck. As long as you're happy to draw clear lines and stick to them, them you might get somewhere. No part of this is going to be easy.
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-02-2019, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action
        I think TG mentioned that elsewhere. Whatabootery from people who think they are not at fault.

Me.
        Last edited by Gerontophile; 09-02-2019, 00:21.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          I don't want to speak for TG, but I think he's explained himself well here - people who were brought to the US as slaves are a special case. Almost every non English Protestant group has had a shit time in the US to some degree or other. But they all came by choice. They had agency, which slaves did not. If you draw the line at "was persecuted a bit in the US" then pretty much everyone in the US except me (as a white, very recent, immigrant) would have a claim on reparations.

There are logistical problems - how you identify descendants of slavery; how you pay reparations; and whether you divide it differently between those with one ancestor and those with, say, nothing but slaves 6 generations ago in their ancestry. But I don't think the question of "Yeah, but hispanics, other blacks, gays, italians, irish, catholics, swedish, germans, chinese, arabs, have been shat on, what about them?" is relevant - it's just used to muddy the water to try and prevent actual action

As for the Caribbean descendants of slaves, they have a legitimate case for reparations, but those would be against the British or French governments, not the American one.
          if you're going to make posts like that then feel free to speak for me whenever the mood takes you as I agree with every single word.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/nicopitney/status/1094013931218030592?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Can someone please fucking tell me how to show Twitter links in this (and every other fucking) website?

Thanks,

(Saves my quoting every blank reply)

Comment

Put (Tweet) (in square brackets) at the start of the twitter Url and then put (/tweet) in square brackets at the end and it should show up

Comment

Nah Berbs. I meant how do I get other's posts to show up? But thanks.

Comment

I have the same problem when I use Firefox. Chrome seems to work though.

And the old board we had a handy solution where the tweet link was shown below the embedded tweet, for those of us who couldn't see the embedded tweet. I guess the snakester will be getting around to that when he finds the time.

Comment

Cheers Anton.

At the end of the old board, it didn't work, and with this, it remains, so it's nothing to do with the transfer. But, your suggestion didn't work then, either. It's a fault on my end. To do with cookies or something. I can't see Tweets on Buzzfeed, and I am bereft. But, other websites don't work too.

I will probably have to reset my whole life. Which is fine. But I don't need to have to repeat my insults to those who would believe that I am their literal queen. (Long story about a locker in a bus station... they went with 'MenInBlack'.)

Comment

It may be related to “Tracking Protection”

Take a look at this thread. Ignore the highly technical posts at the beginning.

Comment

Intriguing thread on possible Saudi involvement in the AMI/Bezos debacle (click through to read)

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1093967010931924998
                          https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/...67010931924998

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            It may be related to “Tracking Protection”

Take a look at this thread. Ignore the highly technical posts at the beginning.
                            By george, I think you've done it! (Works on Buzzfeed, anyway.)

Comment

Rob Lowe turned into a bit of a twat:

https://twitter.com/RobLowe/status/1094349030648369152

Comment

He deleted the tweet but really needs to delete his account.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SarahLerner/status/1095400427019853824

Comment

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1095395923470049282

Comment

I've actually encountered people in real life this week who have been parroting right-wing lines about the green new deal. About how they want to completely ban air traffic, for instance. I now expect someone at the weekend to tell me that they intend to ban burgers and ice cream, and that we'll all have to live off moong beans and seaweed if AOC gets her way.

Comment

The temperature in the fever swamps continues to rise.

Comment

That's one of the first times that the fever swamp has overflowed into my direct personal experience* rather than just my viewing and reading experience.

* excluding the incidental stuff, like reading it on bumper stickers and seeing confederate flags on peoples houses in West Virginia.

Comment

Copied from another forum:

Comment

Judge Amy Berman Jackson has ruled that Manafort lied on multiple occasions to the FBI, the Grand Jury and the Special Counsel, thus voiding his plea deal.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/02/13/politi...ler/index.html

Comment

A pedant writes:

It is important to make clear that he can’t withdraw the plea. He’s still guilty of each of the charges. What has been voided are all of the government’s obligations with regard to that.

This is the same sanction that AMI opened itself to by attempting to extort Bezos after agreeing their plea.

Comment

Has there been any advance on that? I must admit I still can't believe they tried to blackmail the richest man in America. Did they learn nothing from Gawker?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X