No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would they have considered themselves cosmopolitan liberal plutocrats?

Comment

I think the only thing we could agree on was that *if* this all fell apart spectacularly, they would all likely be the heads-on-spikes.

Comment

You are on a train with a bunch of one percenters every day.

Do you mean 0.1 percenters or 1 percenters for Fairfield County?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          You are on a train with a bunch of one percenters every day.

Do you mean 0.1 percenters or 1 percenters for Fairfield County?
          Yeah, 0.1%-ers. YPO-ers.

Comment

Ah, the youth wing of the Trilateral Commission (the logo is a giveaway)

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              I think the only thing we could agree on was that *if* this all fell apart spectacularly, they would all likely be the heads-on-spikes.
              I don't quite get that. In a recession, they get insulated from the fall-out

Comment

They aren't afraid of a recession. They are afraid of a revolution.

Comment

They have real tail-risk fears, but things are making that tail fatter. China and the destruction on free trade being one for some. Income inequality is huge to all of them. They are hugely invested in how little you can give to everyone else to maintain their status quo (and with AI likely to wipe out massive numbers from call centers in five years, among other things, the threat is real). The conversation on Universal Basic Income was very amusing as it came from a completely different angle.

Comment

The conversation on Universal Basic Income was very amusing as it came from a completely different angle.

the elimination of the welfare state?

Comment

They actually seemed pretty invested in the idea of universal healthcare as well. From their perspective it is simply a minimum cost to not become a head on a spike and keep reaping the gains. This all came in the context of people discussing the point where science is going to soon reach a technical level where they can add at least a year to your life every year and AI is going to put 90% of people out of a job. They just picture the reduced stress of managing robots to make more money and how you land in that equilibrium.

Me? I wondered why anyone would want to extend their life and become a Kirk Douglas. You can make life longer, but the fact of the matter is that extending stuff from 80 or 90 onwards looks a bit shit.

Comment

30s?

20s so you still recover from hangovers in good order.

Comment

what's this about Trump losing $1.2 billion dollars in ten years?

Comment

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1126078423816921092

Comment

"I committed tax fraud, and what are you going to do about it? Fuck all, that's what.'

Comment

Yeah. I lost $1.2bn of other peoples money and claimed it as my own tax write off.

Comment

Happy 150th anniversary of the driving of the golden spike everybody. When all of the lowest in american society, the freed slaves, the chinese, and the Irish came together to build a great railway... irish across the prairies, the Chinese, er, through the rockies, with freed slaves working on both ends. They met in utah, drove a golden spike, had some drink, and as far as I know, they all kicked the shit out of the chinese. (though I can find little in today's reports to confirm this.) The conditions for those coming from california were truly terrible. the mostly chinese labourers operated in completely hellish conditions, and there's no real idea of how many of them died, because no-one saw fit to count.

Comment

And they were rewarded with the Chinese Exclusion Act in 1882.

Comment

So much chutzpah, hypocrisy and just transparent bullshit in this one piece

A spokesman for the Trump campaign on Friday tried to distance the President’s reelection effort from Rudy Giuliani’s plan to urge the Ukrainian government to conduct investigations that could help Trump politically.
                                      You know, the plan Giuliani himself has said he's doing for his client, Trump.
                                      "I can tell you that Rudy Giuliani is not doing this on behalf of the campaign. He’s doing it in his capacity as a private citizen," Lotter said.
                                      You may want to tell Rudy
                                      And when asked if it's a "slippery slope" for someone to ask a foreign government to help find damaging information on a political opponent, Lotter indicated he was interested in the results of the potential probes.

"I believe if you're going to have somebody running for president of the United States, if there is the possibility that something inappropriate happened, then it needs to be investigated," he replied.
                                      So, not a witchhunt, then?

Comment

They are going to do it by video now.

Rudy! doesn't need the miles any longer.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1128004839827492864?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It would be astonishing if he said anything different.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                              They have real tail-risk fears, but things are making that tail fatter. China and the destruction on free trade being one for some. Income inequality is huge to all of them. They are hugely invested in how little you can give to everyone else to maintain their status quo (and with AI likely to wipe out massive numbers from call centers in five years, among other things, the threat is real). The conversation on Universal Basic Income was very amusing as it came from a completely different angle.
                                              I've always viewed the welfare state as essentially a bribe / protection money to the proles not to get too Bolshevik. Which puts a slightl different cast on austerity. It's basically the toffs signalling they aren't scared of us any more, so nah nah nah to the nice stuff we used to let you have.

Comment

The end of the Soviet Union has made a big difference here. The fact that it produced a pro worker rhetoric if nothing else meant that there was a pressure for Wester Capitalism to show it could provide the basics.

Comment

An arguably greater impact has been the right successfully convincing a significant part of the electorate that an inordinate volume of such "entitlements" go to black and brown people.

Comment

A lot of the recent inequality is due to age demographics.

When boomers were young, there was free college. When they were of working age, there was job security and cheap housing. When they got older, there was early retirement and great pensions. And, after the financial crisis, asset prices (especially house prices) were re-inflated, to make sure that pensioners took the least of the hit. All of this has come at the cost of younger people, who don't have free college, job security, cheap housing, and won't have decent pensions.

Basically, being in the largest voting bloc throughout one's entire life is a great thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X