Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citing Kavanaugh is sweet.

Comment

I've got to say, I've started to look forward to these shamrock events so much more since we elected a brown homosexual as leader of our socially conservative party. They've always been embarrassing things to watch, but now the embarrassment is entirely the other way around. This has got to be such a head fuck for so many in the irish american community. (I'd like to give a shout out to my relations at this point) And the other thing is that his boyfriend is basically the sort of fella that they'd love their daughters to have been bringing home. he's doing his 2 years abroad before becoming a consultant cardiologist and he's by all accounts a very nice guy. (Which is not something anyone says about Leo)

Comment

I don't think that Mother would allow Pence to go somewhere called Tubbercurry.

Comment

It seems it is officially spelled tobercurry. I just had a google earth stroll around it. I've got to say that aside from paint, and the cars, there's essentially nothing about the town that seems to have changed since 1965

Comment

Trump's "National Emergency" gets voted down 59-41. Which is a pretty serious margin. Not quite enough to be veto proof, but a level that would properly embarrassing for someone capable of feeling shame.

Comment

It also is a very powerful declaration of Congress' position that will be difficult for courts to ignore.

Comment

So, the GOP decide to alienate the Irish-American vote:

http://twitter.com/GOP/status/1107314663023353864

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  I've got to say, I've started to look forward to these shamrock events so much more since we elected a brown homosexual as leader of our socially conservative party. They've always been embarrassing things to watch, but now the embarrassment is entirely the other way around. This has got to be such a head fuck for so many in the irish american community. (I'd like to give a shout out to my relations at this point) And the other thing is that his boyfriend is basically the sort of fella that they'd love their daughters to have been bringing home. he's doing his 2 years abroad before becoming a consultant cardiologist and he's by all accounts a very nice guy. (Which is not something anyone says about Leo)
                  I feel like I have to remind you of this every few months but Irish-American opinion on social matters tends to be perfectly liberal.

Comment

Apparently Devin Nunes is suing Twitter and two parody accounts for defamation. He doesn't seem to understand what defamation is. Or the Streisand effect, for that matter.Page 18 is a cracker.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/1108118652065378305?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1108789693431324674?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It's a good job they don't support locking someone up for dodgy email practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I feel like I have to remind you of this every few months but Irish-American opinion on social matters tends to be perfectly liberal.
                            But There's way more of the other type than we thought. you have to remember that Outside the big permanent campaign poster for Marty Walsh at the entrance to Carna, pretty much the only political contact we have recently had with irish america, is Irish americans trying to buy our Abortion referendum. Old Irish Americans may on the average be more liberal than other old American people, but they're not on average more liberal than old irish people. And quite a few of them are religious in a way that is very rare here. This may very well be an illusion caused by what contact we have, but There's a lot of Irish american republicans, We see them on TV all the time, from Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy, or mitch mcConnell, or Mike Pence, or Mike Flynn, or sean Spicer, or john Kelly, or rod rosenstein and mick mulvaney, and in the recent past the three main presenters on Fox news were called O'Reilly, Kelly and Hannity, and there's no way we can deny that fucking turnip headed bacon mound Hannity. He looks like a fucking archetype. I mean look at that acting secretary of defence that is being investigated by the FBI for basically being an agent of Boeing. He's called Patrick M. Shanahan. The Cunt sounds like a Tamany hall boss. The sort of guy with a house on central park, and a stud farm in kildare. On the one hand, I'm proud that we're still able to produce top level grifters, it's a pity that they're all tied into an administration as corrupt as Warren harding's and as horrendous as Andrew Jackson.

Comment

How will Trump's "free speech" order play out. Give Richard Spencer a platform or we cut your research grants? But don't give Muslim speakers a platform or we'll do the same?

But the deepest danger I think is the executive encroaching on the judicial function regarding the First Amendment. The POTUS (not just 45 but especially him obviously) simply isn't legally qualified to define what is a First Amendment breach and what is a legitimate no-platform policy.

The cases he cites are already covered by college policies and the law, obviously. Hence "a solution in search of a non-existent problem."
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-03-2019, 11:54.

Comment

It is unlikely to survive a court challenge.

Comment

Donald J. Trump - a gift from God or just the new Queen Esther: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47670717

Comment

But There's way more of the other type than we thought. you have to remember that Outside the big permanent campaign poster for Marty Walsh at the entrance to Carna, pretty much the only political contact we have recently had with irish america, is Irish americans trying to buy our Abortion referendum. Old Irish Americans may on the average be more liberal than other old American people, but they're not on average more liberal than old irish people. And quite a few of them are religious in a way that is very rare here. This may very well be an illusion caused by what contact we have, but There's a lot of Irish american republicans, We see them on TV all the time, from Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy, or mitch mcConnell, or Mike Pence, or Mike Flynn, or sean Spicer, or john Kelly, or rod rosenstein and mick mulvaney, and in the recent past the three main presenters on Fox news were called O'Reilly, Kelly and Hannity, and there's no way we can deny that fucking turnip headed bacon mound Hannity. He looks like a fucking archetype. I mean look at that acting secretary of defence that is being investigated by the FBI for basically being an agent of Boeing. He's called Patrick M. Shanahan. The Cunt sounds like a Tamany hall boss. The sort of guy with a house on central park, and a stud farm in kildare. On the one hand, I'm proud that we're still able to produce top level grifters, it's a pity that they're all tied into an administration as corrupt as Warren harding's and as horrendous as Andrew Jackson.
                                    McConnell's one of them Scotch-Irish fuckers, don't make any judgement on him.

I take your point, but half of this is the circumstances of the Trump administration. He's got an unusually pro-coastal, big city administration for the GOP, and that's where the Irish are. Half the people you named were born in NYC or Boston, and then half of the rest are either from California or somewhere else in New England. I suspect the Bush administration didn't have anywhere near as many sons of Erin in it, because it was far more Southern.
                                    Last edited by Flynnie; 22-03-2019, 17:13.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but Irish Catholics seem to be prevalent in the crazy ass Federalist wing of the judiciary as well.

Comment

Nice try, but his name means Descendant of Conal, Who was a Son of Niall of the Nine hostages/the great O'Neill, and after whom Donegal is traditionally named .named. (Tir Chonaill) His family may have come from Down originally, and may have taken up protestantism at some point, but there is nothing scottish about his surname. Most Irish Americans are protestants anyway.

Comment

Spoony, the emphasis there is on the Catholic, rather than the Irish, with good old Antonia Scalia being the prime example. Religiously-motivated opposition to abortion is a major vector for Federalist Society membership.

Comment

Nice try, but his name means Descendant of Conal, Who was a Son of Niall of the Nine hostages/the great O'Neill, and after whom Donegal is traditionally named .named. (Tir Chonaill) His family may have come from Down originally, and may have taken up protestantism at some point, but there is nothing scottish about his surname. Most Irish Americans are protestants anyway.
                                            There's nothing particularly Irish about Kerr either, but most folk in 32 Ireland with that surname are Catholic rather than Presbyterian planters by cultural affiliation. And McDonnell/O'Donnell/McDonald/MacSweeney surnames come from gallowglass Hebrides Scots (Mostly pre reformation but) mercenaries. Surnames only get you so far re cultural identity
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-03-2019, 19:00.

Comment

I'm surprised there hasn't been more tilting at Roe v Wade given the balance of political power.

Comment

Prob better as a live issue to energise the evangelical base than a settled SC decision that would prob shave off loads of Repub leaning conservative but reality based female voters.

Comment

Overturning Roe would eliminate one of the hard right's major recruitment, fund-raising and engagement points.

Strategically, it is much better for them to keep it on the books while doing everything in their power to ensure that poor women have no access to legal abortion.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1109198662868090881

Now, just wait for the disappointment and for this to amount to nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X