Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
    President Pelosi, champion of the people
    I now realize that there are people fantasizing about this and writing out step by step tweet threads about this and I'm really angry now.

Comment

Barr is official.

Comment

Inca, that has been going on for two years now.

It isn't structurally different from 9/11 truthism

Comment

Quick note. The fuck up in NC9 is getting real ugly. Controversy spread to next county over. There is talk of refusing to seat Harris in the House come January. Could be a new election but that couldn't be until March.

Comment

Just seen a picture on Facebook of this brilliant Palestinian woman I know who's currently studying at Harvard with Rashida Tlaib. Hugging each other with massive smiles. It's given me a smile almost as big as theirs. Made my evening. No, my week.

Comment

Sorry that sentence is badly punctuated and difficult to follow. Hope it makes sense. Rashida Tlaib is not at Harvard

Comment

Surely for the speaker of the house to take over the pres and VP have to basically die at the same time, because they can't be simultaneously removed, and they can keep appointing vice presidents to ensure that it never goes to pelosi.

Would pelosi be the oldest president ever? She's 78 now.

Comment

Tlaib was on campus yesterday.

Berba, she would be a few months older than Reagan was at the end of his second term.
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-12-2018, 19:07.

Comment

What happens if a Democrat controlled House refuses to confirm a GOP VP? Constitutional crisis?
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-12-2018, 19:15.

Comment

where do these people find the fucking energy? She's six months younger than my dad, and we've just had to move him into a nursing home. (progressive heart failure and oxygen issues) Then again, She's eighteen months older than my mam and I just asked her if she would fancy being speaker of the house of representatives, and she said "not at the moment, I'm a bit tired, but maybe in a couple of months time."

Still it's no way to run a country. My parents didn't become any saner after they turned 65.

Comment

When one's entire life has been devoted to the pursuit of power, giving it up voluntarily turns out to be extremely difficult.

Satchmo, yes, though note that Gerry Ford was confirmed overwhelmingly by a Democratic House (30 some no votes) and Democratic Senate (3 no votes).

Comment

I suppose Trump could nominate a Ford-like conciliator just to avoid a Pelosi threat.

Comment

Trump. Conciliatory.

Nah

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              where do these people find the fucking energy? She's six months younger than my dad, and we've just had to move him into a nursing home. (progressive heart failure and oxygen issues) Then again, She's eighteen months older than my mam and I just asked her if she would fancy being speaker of the house of representatives, and she said "not at the moment, I'm a bit tired, but maybe in a couple of months time."

Still it's no way to run a country. My parents didn't become any saner after they turned 65.
                              There's an old Billy Connolly line that goes "Ronald Reagan is older than my dad, and he's in charge of the nuclear button. I don't trust my dad with the fucking remote control."

Comment

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1071163800655724544

Cohen had asked for a sentence of no prison time, citing his cooperation with investigators, but prosecutors for the Southern District of New York filed a memo arguing that he should serve significant time, possibly years, in prison.

“He seeks extraordinary leniency — a sentence of no jail time — based principally on his rose-colored view of the seriousness of the crimes; his claims to a sympathetic personal history; and his provision of certain information to law enforcement,” prosecutors wrote in their filing. “But the crimes committed by Cohen were more serious than his submission allows and were marked by a pattern of deception that permeated his professional life.”

The filing also suggests Cohen’s cooperation with law enforcement was not so significant to the investigations swirling around the president.

Comment

Could this be an interesting snippet?

"Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1"
                                  Seeing on twitter that Mariotti is saying that this is a felony.

So bad news for the mysterious individual who is Individual 1.

Comment

We knew that already, though.

And Mariotti's theory is not easy to prove beyond a reasonable doubt (particularly the bit establishing the settlements as a campaign finance violation).

Comment

If Manafort isn't pardoned, it is virtually certain that he will die in federal prison.

And the fact that Mueller can prove that Manafort was communicating with the Administration through the early part of this year is going to make more Republicans choke on a pardon.

Comment

The use of "individual" in American legalese always makes me think of Idiocracy.

Comment

So from today, it really amazes me that people continue to be surprised that James Comey is really freaking tall.

Seems he is feeling he can start to swing the bat a little though.

https://twitter.com/Comey/status/1071199053747228672

Comment

Comment

Right - plus at least two years of articles about how he is really freaking tall. I would like to think the average journalist has done research to know as much as I do about Comey (minimal, but I know he is 6'8")

Comment

Meantime the dglh household is divided on the Mueller work. I am purely invested in it for sport - Mrs dglh wants something to really come out of it. My expectation is the findings will be enough to sit with her viewpoint and then US political process will make it so bloody impossible I will be the happier of the two of us.

Comment

Poor Michael Cohen. I suppose he should have remembered that sammy Gravano helped wipe out a lot of the gambino family in court, and still had to do 5 years, or that Joe Valachi broke Omerta and became a tv star, but still died in Jail. He may never have heard of the latter, but I don't see how he could have missed the second one.

Comment

If by "something", she means 45's removal for office or conviction, I'm afraid that she is going to be disappointed.

There are, however, already a number of formerly important people who will do time in federal prison, and more on the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X