Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    These two sets of (exit poll) stats are incredible. It's basically just old white men who're holding back progress. Every other demographic is basically unified and progressive.

The age scale used on most graphs of this type strikes me as kinda antiquated, especially the "65 and older" category. It clearly harks back to a time when 65 was the standard retirement age, and we were all expected to depart this life within the following ten years or so. These days life expectancy into mid-80s isn't unusual, so I think a terminal category of, say, "75 and older" makes more sense. Right now the percentage of voters in that final category is probably exaggerated in comparison to others because the timeline includes so many people.

I also surmise that the voting patterns of 75+ year-olds might be different from those of people ten years younger. Certainly few will be still in the work force, which is no longer true of 65-70 year-olds.

Comment

Ultimately this will only end with the military deciding whether they are loyal to the President or the Constitution.

Comment

Broadly similar to those in leave-supporting areas of Britain scared of immigrants taking their jobs when the percentage of immigrants in their area is even lower than in the rest of the nation. And when many of them don't have a job anyway. Fear and distorted logic...

I quoted the wrong bit; should have been this part:

A sizeable number of white women maybe fears the unknown stranger that Trump's racism depicts, even though they don't live within a 100 mile radius of many Mexicans or Muslims. Fear is not rational
        Last edited by Sporting; 08-11-2018, 07:09. Reason: Cock-up of quoting; too early in the morning

Comment

Like how the areas of Weimar Germany that voted most heavily for the Nazis weren't the ones with highest unemployment, but were next to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            The age scale used on most graphs of this type strikes me as kinda antiquated, especially the "65 and older" category. It clearly harks back to a time when 65 was the standard retirement age, and we were all expected to depart this life within the following ten years or so. These days life expectancy into mid-80s isn't unusual, so I think a terminal category of, say, "75 and older" makes more sense. Right now the percentage of voters in that final category is probably exaggerated in comparison to others because the timeline includes so many people.

I also surmise that the voting patterns of 75+ year-olds might be different from those of people ten years younger. Certainly few will be still in the work force, which is no longer true of 65-70 year-olds.
            I think this was true of the Irish Abortion referendum and Gay Marriage. I think the inflection point was at 75 and older rather than 65.

Comment

Or the areas that voted leave heavily were the places that had fewer EU migrants (because migrants have a fucking keen sense of economic opportunity and avoid them).

Comment

Could/should be a Dem Sweep in New Mexico.

Comment

I also surmise that the voting patterns of 75+ year-olds might be different from those of people ten years younger. Certainly few will be still in the work force, which is no longer true of 65-70 year-olds
                  I doubt it's that different, not least because in that chart the 45-64-year olds vote much the same as the older demographic. I seem to recall the Brexit vote breaking similarly, well before 75.

Comment

So the official reason for Jim Acosta being suspended is that he placed his hands on a female staffer. One of the WH staffers tasked with grabbing the mic from Acosta:

https://twitter.com/hinterlandg/status/1060337869611524099/video/1

Comment

They even used a doctored version of the video from Prison Planet/Infowars to defend the decision.

Comment

I'm surprised he still holds press conferences. Maybe his vanity drives him to think he can control how they come across, as part of his demonization strategy?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          I'm surprised he still holds press conferences. Maybe his vanity drives him to think he can control how they come across, as part of his demonization strategy?
                          I'm surprised the press still shows up.

Comment

He doesn't, really. I think this is the sixth solo conference of his presidency.

Comment

He just likes telling anyone about how great he is and whatever thoughts have floated through his mind immediately before opening his mouth. Anyone, it doesn't matter who, as long as it's him talking and them listening.

Comment

Prop her up! Just 2-6 years to go.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                  I'm surprised the press still shows up.
                                  Ratings. Basically trump and the media have merged Politics with WWE

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Prop her up! Just 2-6 years to go.
                                    Yeah but the Republicans will just block any Democratic nomination anyway, so what gives.

Comment

They may not be able to in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                        I doubt it's that different, not least because in that chart the 45-64-year olds vote much the same as the older demographic. I seem to recall the Brexit vote breaking similarly, well before 75.
                                        IIRC the French election had a more aged category, and the results were significantly different from that below. There are more significant life changes post-65 than at 45–64, so to me that makes sense.

Comment

Interesting chart comparing vote for Le Pen, Leave and Trump

French electoral polling tends to use the following age categories

18-24
                                          25-34
                                          35-49
                                          50-59
                                          60-69
                                          70 and over

Comment

My recollection on something - maybe Brexit - was that the 45-75 age group were the most strongly right-wing-idiot. Over-75s were actually substantially more moderate. Whether this is because they were old enough to remember actual hardship - unlike the Boomers - or whether it's because they currently experience the hardship that comes with being an isolated and under-served minority, I don't know. I do agree with Amor that it would be interesting to see another split at 75 for these (and maybe other) stats.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Interesting chart comparing vote for Le Pen, Leave and Trump

French electoral polling tends to use the following age categories

18-24
                                              25-34
                                              35-49
                                              50-59
                                              60-69
                                              70 and over
                                              ah, the FT, using the word "populist" when they mean "fascist"

Comment

SB- I interepreted that as the generation most likely to have actually experienced war and the consequences of shit-arsed nationalism, as opposed the feckless twats whose bellicosity is utterly based on sub-Churchillian rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                                                  SB- I interepreted that as the generation most likely to have actually experienced war and the consequences of shit-arsed nationalism, as opposed the feckless twats whose bellicosity is utterly based on sub-Churchillian rhetoric.
                                                  This.

Comment

Very clear in the French results, where Macron did best among the 70 and over.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X